Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Win 2000 Slow And/or Locked

• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 BSAC

BSAC

• Members
  • 142 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:13 AM

Posted 19 February 2006 - 02:57 PM

My wife's Dell Lat D610 runs WIN 2000. She was experiencing slow operations with all programs.

I tried to run disk defragmenter - it finally completed running after several tries.

I tried to run Spybot S&D - again, many attempts in order to get it to run, which it did. It found several 56 entries (2 individual and 54 of one item - no recollection of what they were).

I tried to run Lavasoft's Adaware - it lock every time I run it. The same is true of Bit Defender, Panda Software's antivirus scan and Trend Micro's Housecall scan.

Hijack this runs but locks.

Microsoft products are very slow, or lock. the entire operating system locks from time to time.

The laptop has sustained a fall, which is when things got really bad, but I don't think that is the only thing that is wrong. She complained of locking and slow program execution prior to the incident.

Is there a simple program that can determine the presence of spyware, trojan, virus without the same operations as Adaware/Housecall, etc so it will not lock?

Please advise.

Thanks,
Kevin
Be Strong And Courageous!

Kevin

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 jgweed

jgweed

• Staff Emeritus
  • 28,473 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:13 AM

Posted 19 February 2006 - 03:32 PM

Try running your anti-spyware applications in Safe Mode, which launches your computer with as few running programs as possible. These may be interfering with their scanning.
Regards,
John
Whereof one cannot speak, thereof one should be silent.

#3 BSAC

BSAC
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 142 posts
  •  

Posted 19 February 2006 - 08:21 PM

Thanks, John. I tried to run the laptop in the safe mode. It started up in the safe mode, but would not let me log onto the system. Hhhmmmm.

To verify that I had not inadvertently changed the logon password I restarted in normal mode. I was able to logon with the op system running in the normal mode.

This is very odd.

Kevin

Kevin

#4 stidyup

stidyup

• Members
  • 641 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:13 AM

Posted 20 February 2006 - 03:25 AM

Can you log on using the administrator account?

If not you may want to consider using the UBCD4Win which is a bootable mini OS based on XP and will allow you to run spybot without the OS being loaded on the hdd, plus you will be able to run antivirus scans on the system.

The ultimatebootcd now has read/write access to ntfs drives and has several AV tools and is a prebuilt ISO and will not need any building from you.

#5 BSAC

BSAC
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 142 posts
  •  

Posted 20 February 2006 - 09:28 PM

Does it matter that the op sys is WIN 2000 Pro - I forgot to mention the pro part before?

Kevin

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users