Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

GatewHD about to die!

• Please log in to reply
1 reply to this topic

#1 lazymo

lazymo

• Members
  • 12 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:04 AM

Posted 18 March 2012 - 10:44 PM

Gateway SX2802-01 Desktop running Win 7 64-bit. My HD is about to go. Lots of noises. Intel Matrix Storage Console reporting SMART error.

I have backed up all my files and documents. Under Computer Management, under Disk Management, my disc shows three partitions. One is 13 GB (Recovery Partition), 100 MB (System Reserve), and then my main C: which is 684 GB.

I did a full recovery using Gateway software (wipes everything and does a fresh install). Didn't fix the HD problem. So I used Gateways recovery program to create recovery DVDs(took 3 DVDs). However, instructions say that if I buy a new hard drive, I won't have the Recovery Partitions that exist on the current drive.

I'm looking for advice on how to proceed. I know I'm going to buy a new HD. I'm just wondering how to get the same exact partitions that I currently have. If that's not possible, what is the best way to start with the new HD?

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Artrooks

Artrooks

• Members
  • 1,463 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:04 AM

Posted 19 March 2012 - 12:12 PM

Hi lazymo,

Sounds as if it's time to buy a new hard drive. To be on the safe side, make sure that it is a little larger in size than your present drive. Looks as if your system uses SATA drives. The 3 DVD disks that you made will take the place of the Recovery Partition.

Basically you will:
  • Remove the old drive and install the new one. (make sure that the new drive is recognized in BIOS before you attempt the installation).
  • Put the 1st DVD in the DVD drive and change the boot order to boot from DVD.
  • Follow directions to insert next DVD, etc.
  • When finished, your system should be restored to when you first purchased it.
  • Update your anti-virus and anti-malware software first, then all Windows Updates before any extended "surfing on the web."

You should only work inside your computer if you feel comfortable doing so. If not, seek professional help.
Please observe these Safety Precautions before working inside a PC.

Here are the support documents for your computer: http://support.gateway.com/s/desktop/2009/gateway/sx/sx2802/sx2802nv.shtml
  • Click "User's Guides," "Gateway Desktop User's Guide," arrow down to page 56: Recovering from your recovery discs for a quick "How to."
  • It mentions Vista but if your system came with Windows 7, it will be the same procedure.
Good Luck.

Regards,
Brooks

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users