Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Can't restore PC to factory settings

• Please log in to reply
17 replies to this topic

#1 tstenz

tstenz

• Members
  • 29 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:25 AM

Posted 18 March 2012 - 10:12 PM

Hey there,

For a variety of reasons, I want to do a clean install on my laptop, which is a Dell Studio XPS with Windows 7. I don't have any Windows disks (it's 2 years old and I'm fairly sure I wasn't provided any), so I'm trying to do it through advanced boot options. When I hit F8 during startup and select repair, I am shown the screen "Windows is loading files..." and then the system starts as usual, rather than giving me options for a fresh install, which the description (and every set of instructions I've seen) would suggest.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 noknojon

noknojon

• Banned
  • 10,871 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:25 AM

Posted 18 March 2012 - 10:35 PM

Details from the Dell Forum -
Instructions from the user manul -

Dell Factory Image Restore

Turn on the computer. When the Dell logo 1. appears, press <F8> several times to access the Vista Advanced Boot Options Window.

Select 2. Repair Your Computer.

The 3. System Recovery Options window appears.

Select a keyboard layout and click 4. Next.

To access the recovery options, log on as a 5. local user. To access the command prompt, type administrator in the User name field, then click OK.

Click 6. Dell Factory Image Restore. The Dell Factory Image Restore welcome screen appears.
NOTE: Depending upon your configuration, you may need to select Dell Factory Tools, then Dell Factory Image Restore.

Click 7. Next. The Confirm Data Deletion screen appears.

NOTICE: If you do not want to proceed with Factory Image Restore, click Cancel.

Select the checkbox to confirm that you 8. want to continue reformatting the hard drive and restoring the system software to the factory condition, then click Next.
The restore process begins and may take five or more minutes to complete.
A message appears when the operating system and factory-installed applications have been restored to factory condition.

Click 9. Finish to reboot the system.

This mentions Vista, but the answer was for Windows 7 on a Dell xps 1640computer -

Regards -

Edited by noknojon, 18 March 2012 - 10:39 PM.

#3 tstenz

tstenz
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 29 posts
  •  

Posted 19 March 2012 - 11:14 AM

That's the problem; when I select "Repair Your Computer", the system recovery window doesn't appear. Windows just starts as usual.

I posted here because I'm not sure if it's a Dell-specific issue, but the consensus seems to be that it is, so I just posted there too. Battle of the techies, begin!

Edited by tstenz, 19 March 2012 - 11:28 AM.

#4 Guest_Xircal_*

Guest_Xircal_*

• Guests
  •  

Posted 19 March 2012 - 12:29 PM

That's the problem; when I select "Repair Your Computer", the system recovery window doesn't appear. Windows just starts as usual.

I posted here because I'm not sure if it's a Dell-specific issue, but the consensus seems to be that it is, so I just posted there too. Battle of the techies, begin!

Try using the option to create a set of Recovery Discs: Creating Your System Recovery Discs with Dell DataSafe Local Backup 2.0

You'll need DVD-R discs, not DVD-RW.

Also, the article was published on 2009-02-11. If your machine is older than that, it may not have the option to create the discs installed. In that event, see the links at the foot of the article.

#5 Union_Thug

Union_Thug

Bleeps with the fishes...

• Members
  • 2,355 posts
  •  

Posted 19 March 2012 - 01:52 PM

Do you have Dell DataSafe Local 2. 0 installed? It appears as if you don't--perhaps you may have uninstalled it.

http://support.dell.com/support/topics/global.aspx/support/kcs/document?c=us&cs=19&l=en&s=dhs&docid=DSN_62A5FEC442F5C1CBE040AE0AB8E17091&isLegacy=true

Dell DataSafe Local Backup 2.0 is a backup application installed on Dell Inspiron, Studio and XPS computers as of April 22, 2009.
Unlike previous versions of Dell's system protection software, Dell DataSafe Local Backup 2.0 is able to restore a Dell computer to the original factory-installed configuration without erasing personal files and data.
Dell DataSafe Local Backup 2.0 is available in Basic, Pro and RAID1 versions:

How do I know if DataSafe Local 2.0 is on my system?

Click on start menu
Click on all programs
Click Dell DataSafe folder
Click Dell DataSafe Local Backup

Restoring Your Dell Computer to Original Factory Installation with Dell DataSafe Local Backup 2.0

http://support.dell.com/support/topics/global.aspx/support/kcs/document?c=us&cs=19&l=en&s=dhs&docid=DSN_62A668E1C3A0857AE040AE0AB8E12942&isLegacy=true

To restore your computer to the original factory installation, follow these steps:

Turn on the computer, after the Dell Logo appears and then disappears repeatedly press the <F8> key until you see the Advanced Boot Options menu.
From the Advanced Boot Options highlight Repair Your Computer with the arrow keys and press <ENTER>.
Click
Next >
and login to your administrator account on the computer. The administrator account is the account created the first time the computer was turned on.
Click Dell Factory Image Recovery and DataSafe options and follow the prompts provided.

I don't own a Dell, but it seems to me you need this program in order to access the OEM Factory Recovery Partition. Perhaps if you install/reinstall the DataSafe program you'll be able to do this.:unsure:

Dell DataSafe™ Local Backup http://dslbdownload.datasafelocalbackup.com/dsldownload-en.html

Easy Step 2:

Download the Basic Version of DSL
Click here to download
<<(Direct Download Link)

Hope this helps. :)

Edited by Union_Thug, 19 March 2012 - 02:15 PM.

#6 tstenz

tstenz
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 29 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:25 PM

Posted 19 March 2012 - 08:34 PM

Ha... I did uninstall Dell DataSafe at one point, but I have since reinstalled it. Trying to do a system restore through the program itself poses the same problem, however. I guess I'll have to try making a backup disc with it and see if that helps.

#7 Union_Thug

Union_Thug

• Members
  • 2,355 posts
  •  

Posted 20 March 2012 - 05:56 AM

Lol, I had a feeling it wasn't gonna be that easy. Do you see a recovery partition in Disk Management? (It should be around 15gb) If not, I think you're prolly SOL and should contact Dell about acquiring reinstallation/recovery Media...

Edited by Union_Thug, 20 March 2012 - 05:56 AM.

#8 caperjac

caperjac

• Members
  • 1,649 posts
  •  

Posted 20 March 2012 - 06:01 AM

Hey there,

. I don't have any Windows disks (it's 2 years old and I'm fairly sure I wasn't provided any)

and unless you paid extra for them you didn't get any for free from Dell,but as stated above you can call and purchase them now

My answers are my opinion only,usually

#9 tstenz

tstenz
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 29 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:25 PM

Posted 20 March 2012 - 08:31 PM

I actually do have a recovery partition.

#10 tstenz

tstenz
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 29 posts
  •  

Posted 21 March 2012 - 12:44 AM

Now I tried restoring to factory settings through DataSafe; it restarted and told me to insert a recovery disk, which I did, and it still started right up.

Edited by tstenz, 21 March 2012 - 12:45 AM.

#11 Union_Thug

Union_Thug

• Members
  • 2,355 posts
  •  

Posted 21 March 2012 - 09:32 AM

Good to hear...did it restore correctly? :unsure: :blink:

#12 tstenz

tstenz
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 29 posts
  •  

Posted 21 March 2012 - 11:29 AM

lol, sorry, I'm being cryptic... no. When I say it "started right up", I mean my PC loaded Windows like it would after a simple restart, just like it did when I tried a restore through advanced boot settings. So I'm back to square one.

#13 caperjac

caperjac

• Members
  • 1,649 posts
  •  

Posted 21 March 2012 - 02:24 PM

put the recovery disk in the dvd drive ,reboot computer hitting f12 right away,you should get to pick the dvd rom as a boot option ,it it fails to boot to the dvd then the dvd was created wrong and is not a bookable dvd .

My answers are my opinion only,usually

#14 tstenz

tstenz
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 29 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:25 PM

Posted 21 March 2012 - 07:10 PM

When I try to boot from the DVD, I get the old "Windows failed to start correctly; insert a Windows installation CD" bit. I created another set of discs to make sure they were created correctly, and that's still what I get.

Edited by tstenz, 21 March 2012 - 07:11 PM.

#15 tstenz

tstenz
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 29 posts
  •  

Posted 22 March 2012 - 01:46 AM

To be more specific, when I try to boot from the recovery discs I made, it says that winload.exe is missing or corrupt.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users