Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Sound system issues.

• Please log in to reply
7 replies to this topic

#1 NJTSuperKing

NJTSuperKing

• Members
  • 8 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:19 AM

Posted 18 March 2012 - 05:57 PM

Okay first I'll describe the set up I have and the get into the problem I'm having.

Set up: I have an Asus monitor that is connected to my computer with a VGI cable I also have the monitor connected to my PS3 with an HDMI cable. Lastly I have a Logitech speaker system connected to my monitor through the audio jack.

Problem: Up until early last night this set up was working fine. I was able to get sound through my speakers for either my PS3 or my Computer depending on which input I had my monitor set for. Then out of no where the speakers would only work for my PS3 while when they were connected to the monitor, but when I switched to DVI for my computer to play music, no sound at all. Now the only way I can get sound for my computer is if I plug the speakers into the audio jack in the back of my tower, so it's very inconvenient having to plug my speakers into different jacks to get sound for each device when I want to use it.

Does anyone have any suggestions on how I could have the speakers plugged into the monitor and have them work for both devices?

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 rotor123

rotor123

• 8,093 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:19 AM

Posted 19 March 2012 - 04:04 PM

Hi, The only display cable that carries audio in your setup is HDMI. VGA and DVI only carry video.
I'm not sure how you could have getting audio to the monitor before.

Fortune Cookie says: Fortune not Found: Abort, Retry, Ignore?

Sent from my All-In-One Desktop. Perfect for Internet, Not for heavy usage or gaming however.

How Does a computer get Infected? http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/t/2520/how-did-i-get-infected/
Forum Rules,    The BC Welcome Guide

167 @ June 2015

#3 NJTSuperKing

NJTSuperKing
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 8 posts
  •  

Posted 19 March 2012 - 05:05 PM

Well I know that Dvi doesn't carry sound, but I assumed that since the sound system is plugged into the audio jack on the monitor that is would emit sound. Are you saying that the only way the speakers will work when plugged into the monitor is for the device that is plugged into the monitor via HDMI?

#4 NJTSuperKing

NJTSuperKing
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 8 posts
  •  

Posted 19 March 2012 - 05:33 PM

If I'm mistaken about something then I don't mind being corrected, but I'm more so looking for a solution to my problem. Any help would be appreciated.

#5 rotor123

rotor123

• 8,093 posts
  •  

Posted 20 March 2012 - 09:14 AM

Hi, Let me try and clarify.

HDMI carries the sound to the monitor.
DVI & VGA do not, so what you need to do is look and see if the monitor has a audio in port.
If so run a cable from the speaker jack on the computer to the audio in on the monitor.

That way you should get sound from the PS3 and the Computer.

If I had the model of the monitor I could look it up to be sure it has audio in. The odds favor the monitor having a audio in if it has a speaker jack on it.

Good Luck
Roger

Sent from my All-In-One Desktop. Perfect for Internet, Not for heavy usage or gaming however.

How Does a computer get Infected? http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/t/2520/how-did-i-get-infected/

167 @ June 2015

#6 NJTSuperKing

NJTSuperKing
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 8 posts
  •  

Posted 20 March 2012 - 12:32 PM

Awesome, thanks for giving me a little clarification.

The model number for the monitor is VS247H-P

#7 rotor123

rotor123

• 8,093 posts
  •  

Posted 20 March 2012 - 02:41 PM

Hi,
According to the manual it looks as if it has earphone out but no audio in.

If you never have the PS3 and the computer going at the same time you could try a Y cable.

Something like this.
http://www.google.com/products/catalog?hl=en&q=3.5mm+audio+y+cable&bav=on.2,or.r_gc.r_pw.r_qf.,cf.osb&biw=1280&bih=838&um=1&ie=UTF-8&tbm=shop&cid=5881142434575199781&sa=X&ei=KtxoT87ZN8jd0QHIssT5CA&sqi=2&ved=0CI0BEPICMAI

The male end would go into the monitor, the speakers would go into one of the female connectors and the cable from the computer would go into the other female connector. This could overload the audio outputs. Most likely not but always a slight risk. The switch would be better.

Or a switch like this. http://electronicsusa.com/mk1and2.html

Please note I'm not recommending these sellers. I have never used them. I am only using them to show what you could use.

Good Luck
Roger

Edited by rotor123, 20 March 2012 - 02:42 PM.

167 @ June 2015

#8 NJTSuperKing

NJTSuperKing
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 8 posts
  •  

Posted 20 March 2012 - 02:47 PM

thank you very much for your help and the suggestions! I'm sure one of these will do the trick!

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users