Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Missing Shfolder.dll

• Please log in to reply
15 replies to this topic

#1 zinnia26

zinnia26

• Members
  • 10 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:57 PM

Posted 19 February 2006 - 01:20 PM

Hi, I have an old Dell computer that I won on a sweepstakes in 2001. I had no computer knowledge or experience prior to this and I'm still pretty much lost in space so to speak. My problem is that I had Defender Pro 5 in 1 installed on this computer and when it expired on Feb. 17th (without the expiration warnings that they said I would get 2 weeks before it expired) I tried to find out how to get another years worth of service on their website but I couldn't find how to do that, got ticked off and decided to uninstall Defender Pro from my computer and find something new. I thought I followed directions to uninstall it but as soon as I did the uninstall, I get a message when I start the computer now that says:
"ERROR starting Program, a required .DLL file-SHFOLDER.DLL was not found."
So here I sit, no clue what this is or what to do about it, any help?

More of my lack of computer knowledge-I've got Window 98, not sure what version, maybe SE? Dell computer, 18 GB hard drive, don't know where to look to give you the required info, sorry.

I'm going to take off and drive a 30 mile round-trip to get somewhere to buy a new anti-virus program so I won't be online for a while, so will check on this when I return. I live in the middle of nowhere as far as access to places that sell electronics and my internet service provider is so bad that trying to download something from the 'net is almost impossible. Just to give you an idea, if a site tells me that it takes one minute to download something, it takes me 10 minutes plus I lose my internet connection every hour so any of the free antivirus downloads are not something I can do.

Thanks, zinnia26

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

m

#2 River_Rat

River_Rat

• Members
  • 773 posts
  •  

Posted 19 February 2006 - 02:29 PM

Download & follow the install instructions.

http://www.microsoft.com/downloads/details...D6-DBFA18D37E0F

Note:
Is it possible to find a friend with a broadband internet connection that you can take your computer and hook up to and download all the available Windows Updates, I think you will find it will help your computer performance greatly.

Edited by River_Rat, 19 February 2006 - 02:38 PM.

#3 zinnia26

zinnia26
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 10 posts
  •  

Posted 19 February 2006 - 05:16 PM

Hi, thanks for the fast reply, I appreciate it! I have the microsoft download window open but before I start it I don't know what it means in part 2 of the download instructions:

"2. Install the packaged content by running the self-extracting executable file. This will create a directory structure containing the redistributable files. You have control over the installation location."

What does it mean by control over the installation location? I really don't know enough about the technical stuff to start this without more help, sorry to say.

Could you give me more instruction on what they mean by that? Please? :thumbsup:

Also I've done all the vital Windows updates, it took forever but I think I got all the patches and whatnot from the microsoft site. Unfortunately I don't know anyone with broadband hookup, are there more than the patches that I should have?

thanks,
zinnia26

#4 Leurgy

Leurgy

Voted most likely

• Members
  • 3,831 posts
  •  

Posted 19 February 2006 - 05:36 PM

Hello zinnia26 and welcome to BC.

Rather than try to replace SHFOLDER.DLL you can get rid of the error instead as you indicate it was caused by the removal of Defender Pro 5 in 1. Go to Start>Run and type in msconfig. Under the startup tab look for an entry that may pertain to that program or that .dll that still has a checkmark indicating that is set to run on startup. You may have to scroll to the right in the window to see the whole path of the entry. If this is found and is still checked then uncheck it.

You can also download Registry Search 1.20 . Don't worry its a small download :thumbsup: In the instructions in that link (Enter a string to search for and click "OK") enter SHFOLDER.DLL. This will show you the instances where that file is called for in the registry. Post that information here if you want some help to remove the entry and thus remove the error.

When the only tool you own is a hammer, every problem begins to resemble a nail. Abraham Maslo

**** We use our powers for good, not evil ****

Trying to remove your data from the web is like trying to remove pee from a swimming pool

#5 zinnia26

zinnia26
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 10 posts
  •  

Posted 19 February 2006 - 06:15 PM

Once again, thanks for the fast reply!

I did as you suggested-start>run and typed in msconfig and clicked on startup, but can't find anything on there that looks like the SHFOLDER.DLL. The only ones that mention .dll at all are these:

Taskbar display controls RunDLL deckcp16.dll,QUICRES_RUNDLLENTRY

and:

LoadPowerProfile Rundll32.exe powrprof.dll,LoadCurrentPwrScheme

So, I'll try to download the Registry Search 1.20 but you lost me on this:

(Enter a string to search for and click "OK") enter SHFOLDER.DLL,

like I said my lack of knowledge is immense, what is a string? And is it ok to close that System Configuration Utility box or do I have to do anything else with it?

I've got another window open from the link you gave me with the regsearch link on it, will you be handy to walk me through it if I get lost?
Thanks!

quick edit..I'm going to wait to try that download I just clicked on it and don't know if I click on "open the file"or "save to computer"... I take it I save it to computer but what happens from there? Is there anything else I'll need to know like where I am going to put it or anything?
I have a few errands to take care of right now so will be back online in 2 hours from the time of this post, hopefully someone can help me through this? :thumbsup: thanks again, zinnia

Edited by zinnia26, 19 February 2006 - 06:38 PM.

#6 Leurgy

Leurgy

Voted most likely

• Members
  • 3,831 posts
  •  

Posted 19 February 2006 - 08:57 PM

Msconfig doesn't seem to have what we are looking for so you can click Cancel on the System Configuration Utility box to close it.

In this case the search string is SHFOLDER.DLL. That is what you enter and then press OK. When you download you will save to computer. A box will pop up. At the top of that box is an area called "Save in". Click the arrow at the end of the save in box and in the list that drops down select Desktop and click Save. When the download completes, click Open. This file is a zip file so if you have WinZip that will pop up. If you do not have WinZip you will get an error along the lines of "What program do you want to use to open this file". If that happens cancel out of everything and post back and let us know. If you do have WinZip click Use Evalution and WinZip will open. You will see a file called regsearch.exe. Right click that and click Open. WinZip will warn about a potentially unsafe file and click Yes in that box. When regsearch opens type SHFOLDER.DLL in the top line in the top box and click OK. When regsearch is finished a Notepad file will pop up with the search results. Right click in the body of the notepad file and click select all. Right click in the highlighted text and click copy. Add a reply to this thread. Right click in the Add reply box and click paste. You should now have the results of the search ready to post. Add your reply and I'll get back to you, most likely tomorrow.

When the only tool you own is a hammer, every problem begins to resemble a nail. Abraham Maslo

Trying to remove your data from the web is like trying to remove pee from a swimming pool

#7 zinnia26

zinnia26
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 10 posts
  •  

Posted 19 February 2006 - 09:23 PM

Yep, I got it downloaded to the desktop and when I clicked on it a box popped up and asked what program that I wanted to open it with, and there wasn't anything there that looked like what you said so I cancelled it.

One thing I really would like to know is what that SHFOLDER.DLL is or does...since this all started when I uninstalled Defender Pro and I don't have any antivirus program on here now, I'm desperate to find out if I can try to install the McAfee Virus scan program that I bought today. Are there going to be any sort of negative side effects from that missing file? Not knowing what it's for is really frustrating, so far the computer has worked ok, but I really have to get that McAfee on here so I can go to somewhere besides only this site :thumbsup: Not that it's not nice enough here mind you, but I love to enter sweepstakes and haven't been able to do any for the last 3 days, I'm starting to get sweeps withdrawal symptoms! :flowers:

#8 Super Corsair

Super Corsair

• Members
  • 70 posts
  •  

Posted 19 February 2006 - 11:03 PM

You can get winzip here: http://www.winzip.com It's free :thumbsup: then you can open that program.

#9 River_Rat

River_Rat

• Members
  • 773 posts
  •  

Posted 19 February 2006 - 11:25 PM

One thing I really would like to know is what that SHFOLDER.DLL is or does

The file shfolder.dll, is required by windows and contains functions used to display 'special' folders, such as MyDocuments, MyPhotos etc. Windows cannot operate without shfolder.dll.
Removing Shell Folder Service Library may adversly impact your system.

SHFOLDER.DLL is available on the Platform SDK redistributable page.
http://www.microsoft.com/downloads/details...D6-DBFA18D37E0F

Click the Download button, then click run, it should install to the correct path.
If it asks where to install it you will need to direct it to:
C:\Windows\System32
It may be just System and not System32 in Windows 98 I'm not sure, but if there is no System32 folder it will error or ask if you want to create one choose No and change the destination path to C:\Windows\System

You should take care when installing the file so as not to
overwrite a more recent version of it, but that's no different than any
other shared file you distribute.

#10 Leurgy

Leurgy

Voted most likely

• Members
  • 3,831 posts
  •  

Posted 20 February 2006 - 08:56 AM

Oh oh. Thanks River_Rat I guess I didn't investigate that fully enough. We can also replace that file from your Windows 98 disk if you have one. Do you?

I hope you won't install that McAfee on your computer and are able to return it. The current versions of that program are way to intense for an older machine and you won't like the performance at all if you do put it on.

#11 acklan

acklan

Bleepin' cat's meow

• Members
  • 8,529 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:57 PM

Posted 20 February 2006 - 09:05 AM

I hope you won't install that McAfee on your computer and are able to return it. The current versions of that program are way to intense for an older machine and you won't like the performance at all if you do put it on.[

If you take Leurgy's very good and sound advice, here are several good antivirus programs that not only use very little resources but are freeware.

Antivirus (Run only one.)
AVG Free Edition Antivirus (I personally use)
Avast Home Edition Antivirus Freeware
AntiVir Personal Edition Classic Freeware
BitDefender 8 Free Edition
"2007 & 2008 Windows Shell/User Award"

#12 River_Rat

River_Rat

• Members
  • 773 posts
  •  

Posted 20 February 2006 - 12:50 PM

I hope you won't install that McAfee on your computer and are able to return it. The current versions of that program are way to intense for an older machine and you won't like the performance at all if you do put it on.

This is very good advice since I doubt your computer is up-to-date with Windows Updates & probably still running IE5.
Any virus software is useless without downloading the update definition & downloading them for McAfee will be a lot more intence then those needed for AVG as Acklan suggests, I also recommend AVG. There is no virus software that offers 100% success therefore I see no reason to pay for something that I have seen work any better or gaurantee to be 100% successful.

#13 zinnia26

zinnia26
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 10 posts
  •  

Posted 20 February 2006 - 09:58 PM

Wowee, I've got so much advice now and I still don't know what to do! Thanks so much for all your suggestions!

Let me start here....as I mentioned in my first post I cannot download anything from the 'net except tiny things, my ISP is so bad that my download speed is almost non-existant so I can't do any of the free anti-virus programs...believe me I've tried...for hours! A friend of my son's who is a self proclaimed computer whiz offered to put AVG on a disk for me but it didn't work.

I have managed to keep up with the windows updates and patches. I don't know where to look for the info on it but it's something like IE 6.1 .... I think. In fact if one of you could tell me where/how to look for the info I could tell you what's on here.

Sorry to say that I did install the McAfee, so far no problems and the window that was popping up each time I started the computer saying that "Error starting program, A required .DLL file SHFOLDER.DLL was not found" vanished! I haven't seen it since putting the McAfee on here. So what does that mean? Is it ok now? What problems should I look for for from the McAfee? Is there any way that the McAfee installation could have fixed the missing .DLL file.... being as how the uninstallation of Defender Pro appeared to have caused the problem, could the McAfee have replaced it or something? If not I was looking for anything that might help me in the "help" section of the computer and saw something called "system file checker" that said this
as a copy and paste> Using System File Checker

You can use System File Checker to verify the integrity of your operating system files, to restore them if they are corrupted, and to extract compressed files (such as drivers) from your installation disks.

You can have System File Checker back up the existing files before restoring the original files. You can also customize search criteria based on folder and file extension.

Is there anything there that would help me? I don't really understand what it all means, I just sort of get a general idea of what they are talking about.

And yes, I do have the original Windows 98 disk somewhere but I don't know much about using them.

So, where does that leave me? Any ideas?

Thanks again, zinnia26

#14 River_Rat

River_Rat

• Members
  • 773 posts
  •  

Posted 20 February 2006 - 11:22 PM

I can't think of any problem with carrying on as long as the error is gone and your computer is running OK.

Make sure your McAfee is up-to-date, Right Click the M in the taskbar and check for updates.

You can check your version of IE by opening your browser (homepage) click help>about internet explorer and it will tell you your version.

Yes Windows 98 has SFC (System File Checker)
http://www.techadvice.com/w98/S/SFC.htm
http://www.helpwithwindows.com/windows98/start-142.html
http://support.microsoft.com/kb/q185836/

#15 zinnia26

zinnia26
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 10 posts
  •  

Posted 21 February 2006 - 12:07 AM

Thanks for the reply River-Rat, I appreciate it.

So far my computer seems to be running ok and the Error message hasn't shown up since adding McAfee...but I'll stop back tomorrow night to check this post. Oh by the way, I followed your directions and the IE version is Version 6.0.2800.1106, is that the latest version that I can have without buying the newest Windows? I don't have the $$ to upgrade to whatever the latest Windows is so I'm hoping to hang on as long as I can with this version.

McAfee seems to have updated itself when I started the computer today...it connected itself to the internet and updated for almost 45 minutes but I'll check again like you said. If I do have problems I'll be back to read your links on the system checker.

Thanks again everyone!

zinnia26

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users