Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Restore Win 7 Image To Drive With XP?

• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 floridaze

floridaze

• Members
  • 201 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:19 PM

Posted 18 March 2012 - 04:21 PM

Hellllloooooooo, brilliant bleepsters. :hello:

I had a hard drive fail, and I want to recover my recent backup/image from that failed drive, an image which was created with the Win 7 backup tool found in Control Panel. It's on an external hard drive. I of course want to recover it to a drive known to be good, such as the one that's in my computer now.

If I have XP on said drive, can I make a partition and restore the 7 image to that new partition? Or would I not be able/allowed to have two Windows OS-es on the same drive, even on different partitions? It's XP Home and 7 Home Premium x64. If you need further specs on my machine, please see my profile.

OR for that matter, could I install 7 on the good drive, make a new partition, restore the image from the bad drive to said new partition, and then delete the partition which would also have 7 on it, to be on the up and up? I don't want to do anything unethical. And I most definitely won't be running 7 on two computers; just have it as an image in case of failure, like now.

Thank you VERY much!

floridaze

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 noknojon

noknojon

• Banned
  • 10,871 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:19 AM

Posted 18 March 2012 - 07:37 PM

Hi -
A few things that I am not sure of, and they include -
Do you have a Genuine Microsoft XP CD. I Am not sure about operating both OSs on your specs (4G Ram could be expanded) -

However it may work OK, if you can fully understand the link I have left for you, and you have the time to spare on your project
Try this and see if there is any help in the Tutorial, but I think you would need to reinstall Windows 7 first -
Dual Boot Your Pre-Installed Windows 7 Computer with XP

Good Luck -
Also Google - Install XP Home and Windows 7 Home Premium on partitioned drive -, and it may give you more information -

Edited by noknojon, 18 March 2012 - 07:38 PM.

#3 floridaze

floridaze
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 201 posts
  •  

Posted 19 March 2012 - 08:48 AM

Hi there and thanks a lot for the reply.

I'd be doing it opposite from what the link says. (Thank you very much for finding the link for me. It may be of some help after I read it more closely.) I'd be recovering my W7 image to a drive which already has XP on it.

I don't have an original XP CD that I know of, unless I dig around some and find one, but I have my original XP key on the COA sticker on my old machine. And it's of course the key that's on my XP machine now. I'm definitely not trying to slide one past MS or anything, not that you implied that I was. I'm just sayin.'

I'll digest the page from you link in full after my coffee (:wink:) and I'll also do an internet search. I know that you Bleepsters are the place to start, so thanks for giving me a first step in the desired direction. Much appreciated!

#4 hamluis

hamluis

• 56,438 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:19 PM

Posted 20 March 2012 - 10:09 AM

FWIW: The restore process is governed by the software used.

You should be able to restore to any partition...on any system.

The problem that might ensue...would be a Win 7 install that boots...and an XP install that boots...but does not reflect a dual-boot. You would probably still be able to boot into XP but the restored Win 7 install would not immediately be bootable.

IMO, that's a small problem, easily overcome by using EasyBCD in the XP install.

Just guessing but that seems what should occur to me.

Louis

#5 floridaze

floridaze
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 201 posts
  •  

Posted 20 March 2012 - 12:00 PM

TYVM Louis. I greatly appreciate everybody here!

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users