Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

NTLDR not found, already read XP fixes sticky

• Please log in to reply
10 replies to this topic

#1 PharmBuck

PharmBuck

• Members
  • 4 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:54 AM

Posted 18 March 2012 - 03:20 PM

I appreciate in advance any help I can get with my issue:
Oper System: Windows XP
Dell Inspiron E1705

topic should read "already READ XP fixes sticky" Mod Edit: Fixed ~ Hamluis.

Note: I have read the XP fixes sticky, not sure it applies to my situation.

I got a nasty virus/malware last night, finally get malwarebytes to run and let it run overnight. Come to my computer this morning and I have the "NTLDR not found, press any button to restart". I have read up on this issue (by using the windows recover from the installation cd) and am trying the "copy d:\i386ntldr c:\" however I get "the system cannot find the file specified" as a response. I feel like I am decently computer savvy, in that I can find my way around with good directions, but won't be able to do much as far as interpreting what I see is concerned. Here is my c:\windows map (which doesn't seem right to me, but I again, not the right guy to ask)
?FAT 16 39MB \Device\Harddisk0\Partition1
C:NTFS 89150MB \Device\Harddisk0\Partition2
E:FAT32 4754MB \Device\Harddisk0\Partition3
F: FAT16 8MB \Device\Harddisk0\Partition4
D: \Device\CdRom0

Also, I am not sure if this is pertinent or not, but I am not using the copy of windows XP that came with my computer. I am using a different one, but it is still windows xp (not pirated)

Edited by hamluis, 18 March 2012 - 07:55 PM.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 InadequateInfirmity

InadequateInfirmity

I Gots Me A Certified Edumication

• Banned
  • 5,180 posts
  •  

Posted 18 March 2012 - 03:43 PM

Try a repair install.
http://pcsupport.about.com/od/operatingsystems/ss/instxprepair1.htm

#3 Guest_Xircal_*

Guest_Xircal_*

• Guests
  •  

Posted 19 March 2012 - 04:04 AM

You need a blank floppy for this which has been formatted using Windows XP. You can create this on another machine running Windows XP. You should also make sure the "Removable" is first boot device in the BIOS with Hard Disk second in the machine which has the problem.

• Immediately after the BIOS logo screen disappears, hit F8 a few times to get the Windows Advanced Menu.
  • Choose "Safe Mode Command Prompt Only" which loads CMD.EXE.
  • Insert the blank floppy and then type: "CD\" (without quotes) and hit Enter. This will take you to a C: prompt.
  • Type: ATTRIB -S -H and hit Enter. A message may be displayed on screen the system can't find the Page File. This isn't important.
  • Type: COPY BOOT.INI A: and hit Enter.
  • Type: COPY NTDETECT.COM A: and hit Enter.
  • Type: COPY NTLDR A: and hit Enter.
  • Type: ATTRIB +S +H and hit Enter. Ignore the message about the Page file as before.
  • Press CTRL+ALT+DEL to bring up the options dialog box, click the Windows tab and then choose to restart the machine. Leave the floppy in the drive.
When the PC reboots, it will read NTLDR which points it to the Boot.ini and should enable Windows to load correctly.

#4 PharmBuck

PharmBuck
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 4 posts
  •  

Posted 29 March 2012 - 02:06 PM

Sorry for my delay in replying. I have just recently regained computer access. How would I do something like this if the laptop with the boot error does not have a floppy disk drive? I also have the original windows XP disc that came with my computer now. However when I do a repair install it still comes up with the same error.

Edit: Note at this point I don't even care about getting this laptop to work again as I was due for a new one anyways -- my main goal here is to gain access to my documents on the failing laptop to extract them

Edited by PharmBuck, 29 March 2012 - 02:21 PM.

#5 noknojon

noknojon

• Banned
  • 10,871 posts
  •  

Posted 29 March 2012 - 02:59 PM

Hi -
Have you attempted to use sfc /scannow to recover the NTLDR file ??

I am not using the copy of windows XP that came with my computer. I am using a different one, but it is still windows xp (not pirated)

As this is a Dell system, I hope that the CDs you are using are only the Dell CDs and not standard XP CDs.

Thank You -

#6 hamluis

hamluis

• 56,408 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:54 PM

Posted 29 March 2012 - 04:26 PM

If there are no unforeseen problems...you can remove the hard drive, attach it to a different system...and move any valued data files from it to other storage media.

Louis

#7 PharmBuck

PharmBuck
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 4 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:54 AM

Posted 29 March 2012 - 06:32 PM

Unfortunately I can't use sfc /scannow because I cannot boot my computer. The only commands I can run are from the Windows recovery console. It says that sfc /scannow is not recognized.

Yes, it was a dell-specific cd.

#8 noknojon

noknojon

• Banned
  • 10,871 posts
  •  

Posted 29 March 2012 - 07:08 PM

Unfortunately I can't use sfc /scannow because I cannot boot my computer.

If there is no safe mode or recovery mode that you can use, please read above from hamluis -

chkdsk /r was the only other option I was going to add, but you cannot access the system -

#9 PharmBuck

PharmBuck
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 4 posts
  •  

Posted 29 March 2012 - 07:54 PM

I will try that. Any suggestions for a online guide that would lead me through the process? Thanks

#10 noknojon

noknojon

• Banned
  • 10,871 posts
  •  

Posted 29 March 2012 - 09:28 PM

One link From the University of Texas
This seems to be the most simple one to use, but others may have better links for you -

Wait a while and see if there are other posts to this one - :unsure:

#11 Artrooks

Artrooks

• Members
  • 1,463 posts
  •  

Posted 30 March 2012 - 07:04 PM

Copy data from a non-bootable drive:

hamluis's suggestion will work fairly easily if you have a 2.5" to 3.5" hard drive adaptor.
You could also attempt to use a bootable alternative operating system (Linux) CD to access your files. You will need another computer with a CD burner, a blank CD-R disc, a USB flash or external drive to copy the data.

Download xPUD-0.9.2.iso (64 mb).
  • Burn the iso to make a bootable CD using ImgBurn or other burning software. (Don't know how? See here.)
  • Set the computer to boot first from CDROM.
  • When xPud loads you will see a "Welcome to xPUD" screen.
  • Click "File" from left menu and under "File System" click the triangle next to "mnt" and find your system hard drive (sda or hda). Note, if you plug a Flash drive in you will see it there also (sbd1).
  • You can navigate to your "My Documents" folder by clicking "Documents and Settings," "<your user name>, "My Documents."
  • Copy the folder/files you wish to save by right mouse clicking and "Save," then pasting them into the flash drive (same as windows).
  • To "Exit" xPUD, click "HOME" from left menu, "Power Off," and "Restart."

Regards,
Brooks

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users