Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Windows Service Pack has killed my computer

• Please log in to reply
1 reply to this topic

#1 Meghan Namaste

Meghan Namaste

• Members
  • 1 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:24 PM

Posted 18 March 2012 - 01:26 PM

Yesterday morning I attempted to install Windows Service Pack (without having Googled any potential problems, because I assumed it would be fine...never again!). It seemed to have no issues, but installation was taking a long time so I left it for several hours. When I returned to it the installation was still at 66 % complete. It took all day to get to 70 % complete, and then it began showing "Windows Service Pack installation has failed. Reverting changes". Now it is still in a holding pattern. I cannot shut it down, and it will not start up normally. I can't access the internet or any of my files, or do anything with it. It has been this way for more than 36 hours now, and it seems to be stuck.

I spoke with tech support at the store where I purchased this computer, and it seems the issue may lie with the Windows 7 update. My computer has Windows 7 Starter, and the Service Pack may be for Windows 7, therefore my computer cannot read it. I was advised to call Microsoft, which I am certainly going to do, but I'm wondering if there's any way to circumvent this issue myself. I do not want to have to pay for another optimization and hard-drive cleaning, as I just did that three months ago when I had a virus.

I have all my files backed up, so that is not an issue, but I use this computer for a lot of things (I run a small business, in addition to being a writer) and I really cannot have it out of commission. Any options, or is Microsoft my best bet?

Thanks,

Meghan

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Guest_Xircal_*

Guest_Xircal_*

• Guests
  •  

Posted 19 March 2012 - 04:40 AM

You need to install the Windows 7 Readiness Tool. You don't say whether you have a 32-bit or a 64-bit version, so here are download links to both:

System Update Readiness Tool for Windows 7 32-bit
System Update Readiness Tool for Windows 7 for x64-based Systems

Try hitting CTLR+ALT+DEL twice which should cause the system to reboot. If you can do that, then immediately after the BIOS logo disappears, hit F8 a couple of times which will take you to the Windows Advanced Menu. Choose "Safe Mode" (use the arrow keys to select it and then hit Enter). You can install the Readiness Tool patch in Safe Mode.

If CTRL+ALT+DEL doesn't do anything, then power off the machine by holding in the power on button for about 10 seconds. If that doesn't work either, simply remove the power cord from the back of the machine.

Once it's been powered off, wait a full two minutes before you power on again and boot into Safe Mode.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users