Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Verticle red, blue and green lines on laptop sceen

• Please log in to reply
10 replies to this topic

#1 wayne937

wayne937

• Members
  • 229 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:28 PM

Posted 18 March 2012 - 12:47 PM

This post is for discussion only. My neighbor's laptop computer has very narrow red, blue and green verticle lines running from the top to the bottom of the monitor screen. It is a HP computer and has windows XP on it. She doesn't have the money to have it repaired, but I would like to know what some of you folks think could be causing it. I am thinking that it could be the video card may be going bad. At least this is the only thing I can come up with.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 caperjac

caperjac

• Members
  • 1,649 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:28 PM

Posted 18 March 2012 - 01:00 PM

You could be right ,as some models of HP are known to have video problems ,some people would try hooking a regular computer monitor to it to see how it shows on it ,some people would check for updated video drivers and install them

My answers are my opinion only,usually

#3 wayne937

wayne937
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 229 posts
  •  

Posted 18 March 2012 - 01:47 PM

Thanks Caperjac, that's a good idea. If this took care of the problem, then we would know that it would have to be either the video card, an update is needed, or in the monitor itself. If I can find another moniotor I will try this. Thank you again.

#4 caperjac

caperjac

• Members
  • 1,649 posts
  •  

Posted 18 March 2012 - 02:59 PM

your welcome ,good luck

#5 wayne937

wayne937
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 229 posts
  •  

Posted 18 March 2012 - 03:19 PM

Caperjac, I have been doing a lot of research on Google in reference this. I guess HP Laptop Computers are notorious for doing this. It could either be the screen itself, or the cord could be frayed running from the screen into the main computer. Her computer is around 4 years old so I think the best thing for her to do is to forget about fixing it. It would be too costly to put that kind of money in a computer that old. I have already e-mailed her and told her about it.

#6 InadequateInfirmity

InadequateInfirmity

I Gots Me A Certified Edumication

• Banned
  • 5,180 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:28 PM

Posted 18 March 2012 - 03:46 PM

Have your buddy run driver sweeper to remove the video card driver completely.
http://majorgeeks.com/Driver_Sweeper_d6171.html
Then use drivermax to get the video card driver.
http://www.innovative-sol.com/drivermax/
hope this helps.

#7 wayne937

wayne937
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 229 posts
  •  

Posted 18 March 2012 - 03:58 PM

Inadequate, thank you very much for your information. I'll think this one over, but I don't believe we will be doing anymore to this old computer. The "i" (eye) key does not work on the key board either. She bought a keyboard like the one you would nomally use on a desktop hooked up via a usb connection. As the computer appears to be on its way out, I think we will not put any more time, or money in it.

#8 caperjac

caperjac

• Members
  • 1,649 posts
  •  

Posted 18 March 2012 - 05:15 PM

Caperjac, I have been doing a lot of research on Google in reference this. I guess HP Laptop Computers are notorious for doing this. It could either be the screen itself, or the cord could be frayed running from the screen into the main computer. Her computer is around 4 years old so I think the best thing for her to do is to forget about fixing it. It would be too costly to put that kind of money in a computer that old. I have already e-mailed her and told her about it.

, the HP DV series has had video chip over heating problems for a few years now ,so if it a HP DV### then its could well be better to buy a new one

#9 wayne937

wayne937
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 229 posts
  •  

Posted 18 March 2012 - 08:42 PM

Caperjac, I agree with you. I am sorry to say I just bought a new HP Laptop last fall. I won't be buying anymore though. I've also had a Toshiba but they don't give much information on how to work on their computers so I won't be buying any more of theirs either. The only information they give you is how to put in new memory, nothing else. I have had two Gateway computers, a laptop and a desktop, and so far I have had good service from both of them, so far.

#10 noknojon

noknojon

• Banned
  • 10,871 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:28 AM

Posted 18 March 2012 - 10:16 PM

I've also had a Toshiba but they don't give much information on how to work on their computers so I won't be buying any more of theirs either.

Hi -
I've had a Toshiba Satellite for a bit over a year now. There is plenty of information on it if you just look
It tells me when to back up and many other similar things. You just need to spend an hour reading and looking at it

Toshiba support is very good (at least in Australia) and sent good, cheap, reinstall DVDs to my house in 3 days (post paid)

But then it is a case of using what you like to suit you, that is the best to use - (a bit like Antivirus programs)

Regards -

#11 caperjac

caperjac

• Members
  • 1,649 posts
  •  

Posted 19 March 2012 - 04:29 AM

computer are all the same ,some just have better hardware ,usually its only the service that's different ,myself i have never had to call a company computer tech support ,i fix my own,and others, i successfully fixed a HP dv6000 last year with a video problem by using a Butane torch on the video chip ,as far as i know it still works ,owner hasn't call back yet anyway
i have bought 4 new laptops in the past 6 yrs ,for a Toshiba [my wife's actually ] ,its almost 3 yrs old ,and still running on the original install,and its Vista ,there is a Sony Viao [my daughters ],and had been 2 Compaq's and the only problem was on one of the Compaq's,and it was video related ,the wire to the LCD went around the hinge causing problems ,had to keep taking it apart to move the wire

Edited by caperjac, 19 March 2012 - 04:32 AM.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users