Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Nothing responds in regular boot mode

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 metamama

metamama

• Members
  • 2 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:41 AM

Posted 18 March 2012 - 11:21 AM

My computer worked fine one day, the next day it started acting up without my downloading anything in the meantime. I can boot up in safe mode and everything works and I can access the internet, but when I restart in regular mode, none of the icons will open the programs, the buttons don't work, the touchpad does not work and the cursor eventually freezes with the little circle going round and round. I can reboot in safe mode with networking and everything works just fine. I transferred most of my files to an external hard drive, run Avast, run AdAware, downloaded Malwarebytes which found two Trojans which I deleted, eventually downloaded Combofix from your site and ran that. Nothing has cleared up the problem. I tried uninstalling some programs and got the message that Windows installer could not be accessed. So I downloaded Total Uninstall and was then able to uninstall them. I cannot run System Restore as I get the messaage that I have no restore point. When I go to system protection I see no prompt to create a restore point. I continually run my anti-virus programs and get no malware detected. I am running Vista Home Premium with Service pack 2, 32 bit. Any suggestions would be appreciated.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 dnthns87

dnthns87

• Members
  • 27 posts
  •  

Posted 18 March 2012 - 11:27 AM

Hello

I would like to provide you with some help, but first can you confirm that a faulty HDD is not causing the problems ? Or maybe the trackpad driver?

Can you also provide me with some more information on your machine?

Edited by dnthns87, 18 March 2012 - 11:28 AM.

#3 metamama

metamama
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 2 posts
  •  

Posted 19 March 2012 - 09:02 AM

My machine is a Gateway T-6330u. Processor is Intel Pentium Dual CPU T3200 @2.00 GHz. I checked the driver for touchpad and it said it was working properly and I had the latest driver for it. Also checked disc drive and it said device was working properly. Works great in safe mode except for the things that are not accessed in safe mode.

#4 InadequateInfirmity

InadequateInfirmity

I Gots Me A Certified Edumication

• Banned
  • 5,180 posts
  •  

Posted 24 March 2012 - 09:33 AM

http://support.microsoft.com/kb/331796

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users