Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Partition help

• Please log in to reply
2 replies to this topic

#1 v0rt3xtraz

v0rt3xtraz

• Members
  • 2 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:33 AM

Posted 18 March 2012 - 08:20 AM

I need some help. My computer was loaded with windows 7, and I shrunk the partition to give me space to install ubuntu as well as windows. After installing it, whenever i booted the computer, it loads the ubuntu grub loader. how do i get back to the original DOS boot screen? help! if i reboot without it, it just says that i have no OS, and refuses to boot.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 dnthns87

dnthns87

• Members
  • 27 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:33 AM

Posted 18 March 2012 - 10:04 AM

Hello

This is my first post here.

First off you should never have linux on one partition and windows on another.

But you can try this fix.

1. Put the Windows 7 installation/Upgrade disc in the disc drive, and then start the computer (set to boot from CD in BIOS).

2. Press a key when you are prompted.

3. Select a language, a time, a currency, a keyboard or an input method, and then click Next.

4. Click Repair your computer.

5. Click the operating system that you want to repair (Windows 7 in this case), and then click Next.

6. In the System Recovery Options dialog box, click Command Prompt.

7. Once in the command prompt, type exactly Bootrec.exe /FixMbr and then press ENTER. You will see "operation completed successfully." (Doesnt even take a second. Dont be alarmed )

8. Reboot and set BIOS to boot from the HDD again.

Step 7 will make windows boot loader take control again.

Hope this helps.

#3 Guest_Xircal_*

Guest_Xircal_*

• Guests
  •  

Posted 18 March 2012 - 10:11 AM

I need some help. My computer was loaded with windows 7, and I shrunk the partition to give me space to install ubuntu as well as windows. After installing it, whenever i booted the computer, it loads the ubuntu grub loader. how do i get back to the original DOS boot screen? help! if i reboot without it, it just says that i have no OS, and refuses to boot.

Read this article: How to install Windows 7 and Ubuntu side by side

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users