Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Re-Installing Windows XP

• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 Beeky

Beeky

• Members
  • 20 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:04 AM

Posted 18 March 2012 - 06:02 AM

I am in the process of preparing to sell my Toshiba NB 200 Netbook. When I bought it the operating system was XP but I upgraded this to Windows 7. The Netbook is fine for general use but it is not suitable for some of the graphic editing I need to do when I am away so I want to sell this and buy a larger laptop. I want to savemy Windows 7 licence for another machine and re-install the original Windows XP. I have the original product key (label on bottom of machine) but have no disc. Is there a way I can download windows XP and use the original product key with a disk please?

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 caperjac

caperjac

• Members
  • 1,649 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:04 AM

Posted 18 March 2012 - 07:47 AM

your netbook should have a recovery partition ,it maybe hidden but you should be able to get to it ,i think by hitting f10 or f11or even f12 not sure ,or you could try holding in the Zero key on bootup to get to a factory restore of the computer .don't know of anywhere where you can download winxp from that would be legit ,except for Microsoft's msdn or netlife ,but that requires a subscription to those sites

Edited by caperjac, 18 March 2012 - 07:52 AM.

My answers are my opinion only,usually

#3 Queen-Evie

Queen-Evie

Official Bleepin' G.R.I.T.S. (and proud of it)

• Members
  • 16,485 posts
  •  
  • Location:My own little corner of the universe (somewhere in Alabama). It's OK, they know me here
  • Local time:12:04 AM

Posted 18 March 2012 - 08:32 AM

Toshiba recovery will use the 0 key.

For specific information start here http://www.csd.toshiba.com/cgi-bin/tais/support/jsp/home.jsp#

Click Product Support, then choose your model.

After you get the model result click User's Guide for the .pdf of the guide.

Scroll through the guide and find the section for recovery, which will explain the process.

Hopefully the recovery drive is still intact and did not get wiped out when you installed Windows 7.

#4 hamluis

hamluis

• 56,106 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:04 AM

Posted 18 March 2012 - 08:45 AM

<<I want to savemy Windows 7 licence for another machine...>>

I don't think that you will be able to do that, unless you purchased a retail version of Win 7. If you upgraded via the manufacturer's "anytime upgrade" option, that only applies to that specific system and cannot be legally used on another system.

Louis

#5 Beeky

Beeky
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 20 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:04 AM

Posted 19 March 2012 - 06:01 AM

I think I have totally screwed up. I have tried the above suggestion and get this ERROR: Setenv file P:\Setenv.ini or x:\tools\Setenv.in bot found. I think the recovery disk has disappeared. I can get to the command prompt but don't know what command to give to see if I can get back to my original windows 7. Anothoer problem is that as this is a netbook there is no DVD drive and even when I plug an external drive in or go to setup utility on the boot menu I only have HDD/SSD FDD or LAN choices. I have a legal licensed copy of Windows Professional and was try to install this but can't get the netbook to recognise the drive. Help please

#6 Guest_Xircal_*

Guest_Xircal_*

• Guests
  •  

Posted 19 March 2012 - 01:32 PM

I am in the process of preparing to sell my Toshiba NB 200 Netbook. When I bought it the operating system was XP but I upgraded this to Windows 7. The Netbook is fine for general use but it is not suitable for some of the graphic editing I need to do when I am away so I want to sell this and buy a larger laptop. I want to savemy Windows 7 licence for another machine and re-install the original Windows XP. I have the original product key (label on bottom of machine) but have no disc. Is there a way I can download windows XP and use the original product key with a disk please?

You cannot transfer the Windows 7 upgrade to another machine because you only have an OEM licence which ties the installation to that particular machine. Therefore, you may as well leave it as it is. It'll also make a far more attractive proposition to a potential buyer by having Windows 7 rather than Windows XP installed on it.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users