Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

What's the difference between a hardware firewall and a router?

• Please log in to reply
6 replies to this topic

#1 printerandink

printerandink

• Members
  • 190 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:38 PM

Posted 17 March 2012 - 10:03 PM

Other than the hardware firewalls cost more?

Any low cost recommendations? I'm looking mostly for the firewall functions than anything else.

What should I look for and what would be most secure?

this is interesting

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16833704070

and this?

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16833156318

But would this have a better firewall than those above?

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16833181159R

What about this one?

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16833156393

Edit: Moved topic from AntiVirus, Firewall and Privacy Products and Protection Methods to the more appropriate forum. ~ Animal

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Guest_Xircal_*

Guest_Xircal_*

• Guests
  •  

Posted 18 March 2012 - 06:31 AM

You'll forgive me (I hope) if I refer you to Wikipedia to explain the intricate details of both options:

Wikipedia: Routers
Wikipedia: Firewalls

#3 printerandink

printerandink
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 190 posts
  •  

Posted 18 March 2012 - 02:10 PM

That didn't really tell me much about these particular models, but to guess that as long as the router has NAT, block WAN ping, and SPI then it serves effectively as a firewall would not be wrong, would it?

Edited by printerandink, 18 March 2012 - 02:10 PM.

#4 the_patriot11

the_patriot11

High Tech Redneck

• BC Advisor
  • 6,755 posts
  •  

Posted 18 March 2012 - 02:47 PM

A router, routes stuff in simple terms. It directs the traffic of your local network-you hook multiple computers to it and the internet, and when you send a command over the network it routes the traffic to the proper computer or over the internet. Its in essence a traffic gaurd. A firewall, is more like a cop in that it protects from unwanted outside connections. It attempts to block any unwanted traffic from getting into your computer or router. There are two kinds of firewalls-a physical firewall, like what most routers have which is in the circuitry, and a software firewall which you install on your computer, its often wise to use both.

picard5.jpg

Primary system: Motherboard: ASUS M4A89GTD PRO/USB3, Processor: AMD Phenom II x4 945, Memory: 16 gigs of Patriot G2 DDR3 1600, Video: AMD Sapphire Nitro R9 380, Storage: 1 WD 500 gig HD, 1 Hitachi 500 gig HD, and Power supply: Coolermaster 750 watt, OS: Windows 10 64 bit. 

Media Center: Motherboard: Gigabyte mp61p-S3, Processor: AMD Athlon 64 x2 6000+, Memory: 6 gigs Patriot DDR2 800, Video: Gigabyte GeForce GT730, Storage: 500 gig Hitachi, PSU: Seasonic M1211 620W full modular, OS: Windows 10.

If I don't reply within 24 hours of your reply, feel free to send me a pm.

#5 printerandink

printerandink
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 190 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:38 PM

Posted 18 March 2012 - 03:02 PM

I know. But some routers have firewalls, and then they have a separate section of hardware firewalls at newegg under networking. I'm finding it hard to tell the difference between the two.

#6 Yiddish

Yiddish

• Banned Spammer
  • 48 posts
  •  

Posted 19 March 2012 - 11:22 PM

Well at a basic level, routers differ from firewalls in a way that a router routes packets destined to another network. it is the gateway so that two or more networks could communicate with one another while a firewall on the other hand is more of a security device that inhibits inbound or outbound traffics base on the network's preferences.

you are able to use your services when using the router since this is what a router does it forwards your request to the appropriate destination, however, when using the firewall as your means of communication, although, it acts as a router, but its main features is security and in this case, by default, it has its security features on making sure that any traffic either inbound or outbound are filtered through it preventing your network from any harm from outside.

#7 printerandink

printerandink
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 190 posts
  •  

Posted 21 March 2012 - 03:14 PM

so a router with SPI and NAT is really just a hardware firewall with the settings set to favor convenience of use instead of security?

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users