Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Computer stuck on XP install

• Please log in to reply
2 replies to this topic

#1 aGnomeRandom

aGnomeRandom

• Members
  • 1 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:19 PM

Posted 17 March 2012 - 09:19 PM

My mother needed her pc fixed, so she took it to get it fixed. I asked her how much the computer was to be to fix it she said like 100 something dollars and the people were just going to put in a new psu. I had an extra Psu and told her I could do it for free. After I installed it and turned on the Pc it loaded fine and it came up as an installation of Xp, even though Xp was already installed and working fine before hand. I decided to let it run its coarse. I came back in like 30 minutes to check on it, and it said something like "We need Xp installation disk 2, to finish.". I don't that disk it's asking for, I wanted to cancel it and install a copy of Win7 anyways.

Is there a way to cancel the installation? Or do I have to finish it? and if so where can I find the stuff online to put on the disk to finish it?

Thanks
- Gnome

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 noknojon

noknojon

• Banned
  • 10,871 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:19 AM

Posted 18 March 2012 - 03:46 AM

Hi -
1/ Can you list the Make and Model please -

2/ Do you have a Genuine XP Microsoft CD ?

3/ Have you already purchased a Windows7 DVD set ?

Thank You -

#3 Guest_Xircal_*

Guest_Xircal_*

• Guests
  •  

Posted 18 March 2012 - 04:46 AM

My mother needed her pc fixed, so she took it to get it fixed. I asked her how much the computer was to be to fix it she said like 100 something dollars and the people were just going to put in a new psu. I had an extra Psu and told her I could do it for free. After I installed it and turned on the Pc it loaded fine and it came up as an installation of Xp, even though Xp was already installed and working fine before hand. I decided to let it run its coarse. I came back in like 30 minutes to check on it, and it said something like "We need Xp installation disk 2, to finish.". I don't that disk it's asking for, I wanted to cancel it and install a copy of Win7 anyways.

Is there a way to cancel the installation? Or do I have to finish it? and if so where can I find the stuff online to put on the disk to finish it?

Thanks
- Gnome

Sounds to me like you had an ASR (Automatic System Recovery) floppy in the drive when you booted up. That's the only scenario I can envisage whereby the system will ask for a secondary installation media if it doesn't detect it in the DVD drive. A genuine Windows XP installation DVD is located on one disc.

Did your mother's PC come with XP preinstalled? If so, then she would have had to have made a backup in order to reinstall it again. If she didn't do that, then your only option now will be to either purchase Windows 7, or use a free operating system like Ubuntu. See: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ubuntu_%28operating_system%29

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users