Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

svchost.exe Slowing Down Computer

• Please log in to reply
19 replies to this topic

#1 Tii

Tii

• Members
  • 10 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:16 AM

Posted 17 March 2012 - 09:06 PM

It's been doing this for a while now, too..

I don't know if this has anything to do with it, but I disabled windows update a long time ago; if I try to update it now, my system can't handle it, and it reverts its changes.

Help would be appreciated. Where would I start to try and fix it?

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Guest_Xircal_*

Guest_Xircal_*

• Guests
  •  

Posted 18 March 2012 - 05:45 AM

If you disabled automatic updating, then it's imperative that you install security patches manually by downloading them from the Windows Download Center

There are just too many vulnerabilities circulating on the web which can install without any user interaction if you stumble upon one accidentally. Here are a few examples:
Exploit circulating for Windows RDP vulnerability
Trojan downloader is a problem for virus scanners
March 2012 Microsoft Black Tuesday

As for svchost.exe -k netsvcs, there's not a lot you can do about that because it handles so many functions. See screenshot.

Attached Files

#3 Tii

Tii
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 10 posts
  •  

Posted 18 March 2012 - 07:36 AM

Alright, so should I only download the listed patches from March 2012 Microsoft Black Tuesday?

I'm also suspecting the problem for me to be something other than a virus, like damage to certain files.
I'm using sfc /scannow to scan my computer to see how that goes.

#4 Guest_Xircal_*

Guest_Xircal_*

• Guests
  •  

Posted 18 March 2012 - 10:05 AM

Well, complete the scan you';e running now first of all, but certainly install the March patches. But you really need all of them, that is to say, all those which were released after you disabled automatic updates.

#5 dnthns87

dnthns87

• Members
  • 27 posts
  •  

Posted 18 March 2012 - 10:14 AM

SVCHOST will take alot of memory if the machine is rebooted a few times in a row.

Eventually it should return to normal.

Check to see what folders are being shared. if a root folder is shared by mistake SVCHOST Will use alot of memory.

Do you use media streaming?

#6 Tii

Tii
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 10 posts
  •  

Posted 18 March 2012 - 10:51 AM

Alright, I finished the scans. It seems that there's always something to fix in each scan; and there still is. :(
And I plan to take the updates in pieces, from the earliest to the latest, depending on their file size.

As for the root folders, how do I check if they're shared or not?
And what counts as media streaming? Like, live streams? Or utorrent (both of which I have used at one point)? Btw I haven't streamed myself but I've seen a few online.

Edited by Tii, 18 March 2012 - 10:51 AM.

#7 Guest_Xircal_*

Guest_Xircal_*

• Guests
  •  

Posted 18 March 2012 - 11:41 AM

Alright, I finished the scans. It seems that there's always something to fix in each scan; and there still is. :(
And I plan to take the updates in pieces, from the earliest to the latest, depending on their file size.

As for the root folders, how do I check if they're shared or not?
And what counts as media streaming? Like, live streams? Or utorrent (both of which I have used at one point)? Btw I haven't streamed myself but I've seen a few online.

Streaming media explained here: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Streaming_media

Torrents can be packaged to bind viruses to them so you have to be ultra careful that you scan the file before running it. Most AV apps have the option to scan a file via the Windows Context menu (right click).

To check for sharing, open a command prompt, type CD\ and hit Enter to take you to the root. At the C: prompt, type NET SHARE and hit Enter. See also: Disable Administrative Shares

#8 dnthns87

dnthns87

• Members
  • 27 posts
  •  

Posted 18 March 2012 - 11:45 AM

To check and see what folders are shared i need to know what o/s you're using but for now you can try:
Start Button -- > Run --> Type fsmgmt.msc --> Hit Enter

That will work for windows 7 not sure about other windows versions.

This could also be the problem if any shared folders have a large amount of data in them.

And about the media streaming do you stream videos to an xbox or anything ?

#9 dnthns87

dnthns87

• Members
  • 27 posts
  •  

Posted 18 March 2012 - 11:59 AM

If its not a problem with the shared folders try disabling windows updates completely.

If that solves the problem try updating the windows update agent.

http://download.windowsupdate.com/v7/windowsupdate/redist/standalone/WindowsUpdateAgent30-x86.exe

#10 Tii

Tii
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 10 posts
  •  

Posted 18 March 2012 - 12:13 PM

@Xircal
Based on the list of streaming services on Wikipedia, I have not streamed to/for anyone.

And when I download something through Firefox, after downloading something, it scans it for viruses. I don't know too much about that though. And I'm staying away from torrents for a while.

And I have done the NET SHARE command; it lists two printers/copiers I own.
It also mentions something about Remote IPC/Remote Admin to the right.

@dnthns87
I have disabled Windows Update before and followed up with the Agent before, but it made no change to my CPU.
I have just reset Windows Update and then searched for updates; it has 3 important ones. I'm going to download one at a time and see how that works. If it doesn't, I'll revert to a restore point before the update and give the Agent another go.

Edited by Tii, 18 March 2012 - 12:24 PM.

#11 Guest_Xircal_*

Guest_Xircal_*

• Guests
  •  

Posted 18 March 2012 - 01:43 PM

@Xircal
Based on the list of streaming services on Wikipedia, I have not streamed to/for anyone.

And when I download something through Firefox, after downloading something, it scans it for viruses. I don't know too much about that though. And I'm staying away from torrents for a while.

And I have done the NET SHARE command; it lists two printers/copiers I own.
It also mentions something about Remote IPC/Remote Admin to the right.

Remote Admin is necessary to enable Windows Updates to function. It should only show for C:\Windows though.

If you can see your printers, then you have "File and Printer Sharing for Microsoft Networks" enabled. You can disable it by going to your network settings, then right click your LAN, go to "Properties" and then remove the checkmark from it. See screenshot.

As an additional security measure (and for peace of mind), download Microsoft's Baseline Security Analyzer and run a scan.

Attached Files

#12 Tii

Tii
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 10 posts
  •  

Posted 18 March 2012 - 05:50 PM

Alright, the Analyzer says that 6 shares are present on my computer.
Along with the printers (which I have disabled sharing for), it lists "Admin$" "C$" and "Users" under the "Share" column. Should I be concerned?

#13 Guest_Xircal_*

Guest_Xircal_*

• Guests
  •  

Posted 19 March 2012 - 02:54 AM

Alright, the Analyzer says that 6 shares are present on my computer.
Along with the printers (which I have disabled sharing for), it lists "Admin$" "C$" and "Users" under the "Share" column. Should I be concerned?

No. Admin shares are inaccessible from other machines unless you implement a registry change.

#14 Tii

Tii
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 10 posts
  •  

Posted 19 March 2012 - 05:07 PM

Okay, that's a relief.
I'm downloading system update readiness tool to see if I can download Windows Service Pack SP1 correctly.
I'll come back with results.

#15 Tii

Tii
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 10 posts
  •  

Posted 20 March 2012 - 06:17 AM

Alright, I had downloaded SP1 and ran into the same exact problem as before, despite downloading SURT.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users