Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

My desktop went black, missing files, folders,etc.

• Please log in to reply
1 reply to this topic

#1 bhunt261

bhunt261

• Members
  • 20 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:04 AM

Posted 17 March 2012 - 07:55 PM

My computer was working fine, or so I thought. I shut it down as normal and two days later when I started it up, my desktop was black (instead of the nice picture of my grandaughter which is the normal background). Also nearly all of my desktop shortcuts and Icons were gone. When I go to start, all of my programs are missing. I can get to google and do web searches, but that's about it. When I go to c: it says that my folders are empty. I've never incountered anything like this before, so I don't know where to even start. I feel sure that it's a virus or hijacker, because the computer is working, just not like it did. Please advise. Thanks....

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 narenxp

narenxp

• BC Advisor
  • 16,371 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:04 AM

Posted 18 March 2012 - 02:05 AM

Please follow the guide on removing this rogue

http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/virus-removal/remove-system-check

Use the unhide tool given in the guide to recover your files

Let me know if you had issues