Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

System freezes before antivirus can complete scan

• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 ARC11ORDO

ARC11ORDO

• Members
  • 2 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:10 AM

Posted 17 March 2012 - 06:55 PM

Hello, this is my first post here. I've found the site to be very useful, having used Rkill to end a pretend windows security malware program that popped up on my mom's laptop and on one of my friends' as well.
This concerns my rig, which I built June 2011. In January I reinstalled windows on a new motherboard and a new cpu. The old cpu had died - amd replaced it. I put antispyware on but neglected to reinstall microsoft security essentials.

My problem today began after playing an avi movie when the windows media player crashed yesterday. I don't know if there was something bad in the torrent file folder or not. (The movie was just released on dvd and this was more convenient than going to the library to borrow a copy.) Following this, the computer began freezing and a bsod appeared for a split second.
The rig kept the power on since the fans and fan led lights stayed on. However the monitor lost the signal and the mouse and keyboard were off as well.
I shut down the rig via the power-on button.
Restarting would only let the computer run for 5-10-15 min (not sure how long) before everything froze up and shuts down.

There is a message saying something to the effect that I need to reinsert my windows install disk and a registry file is missing. I'll update the post the next time it happens.

UPDATE: tried system recovery to a day before I downloaded the torrent. Didn't fix it. Same problem, freezing, etc.
I tried Rkill and installing Avira but I can't finish a scan before the computer freezes and I have to shut it down.

Any thoughts?

Edited by hamluis, 18 March 2012 - 06:00 AM.
Moved from Windows 7 to Am I Infected.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 gurub

gurub

• Members
  • 3 posts
  •  

Posted 18 March 2012 - 12:14 AM

try and use health mechanic to clean up,tuneup, registry mechanic, advance system care, ccleaner softwares.also you can search on google and download drivers genius to get your missing drivers,if that does not work, try and back up your files and reinstall windows operating system again.

#3 Guest_Xircal_*

Guest_Xircal_*

• Guests
  •  

Posted 18 March 2012 - 05:07 AM

Restart the PC in "Safe Mode with Networking". Download the latest definition files for your AV and then run a full system scan. Delete anything the AV finds and then reboot. Once the system boots to the desktop, run a full system scan again to get rid of anything left hanging around.

To restart in "Safe Mode with Networking", reboot the machine and then immediately after the BIOS logo disappears from view, hit F8 a couple of times. This will load the Windows Advanced menu. Use the up/down arrow keys to select "Safe Mode with Networking" and then hit Enter.

Since the screen resolution in Safe Mode will only be 800x600, everything will be abnortmally large, so if you cannot see the desktop shortcut to your AV, right click a blank part of the screen and choose "Sort by name".

#4 hamluis

hamluis

• 55,413 posts
  •  

Posted 18 March 2012 - 05:59 AM

<<try and use health mechanic to clean up,tuneup, registry mechanic, advance system care, ccleaner softwares.also you can search on google and download drivers genius to get your missing drivers,if that does not work, try and back up your files and reinstall windows operating system again.>>

Bleeping Computer DOES NOT recommend the use of registry cleaners/optimizers for several reasons:
  • Registry cleaners are extremely powerful applications that can damage the registry by using aggressive cleaning routines and cause your computer to become unbootable.

The Windows registry is a central repository (database) for storing configuration data, user settings and machine-dependent settings, and options for the operating system. It contains information and settings for all hardware, software, users, and preferences. Whenever a user makes changes to settings, file associations, system policies, or installed software, the changes are reflected and stored in this repository. The registry is a crucial component because it is where Windows "remembers" all this information, how it works together, how Windows boots the system and what files it uses when it does. The registry is also a vulnerable subsystem, in that relatively small changes done incorrectly can render the system inoperable. For a more detailed explanation, read Understanding The Registry.
  • Not all registry cleaners are created equal. There are a number of them available but they do not all work entirely the same way. Each vendor uses different criteria as to what constitutes a "bad entry". One cleaner may find entries on your system that will not cause problems when removed, another may not find the same entries, and still another may want to remove entries required for a program to work.
  • Not all registry cleaners create a backup of the registry before making changes. If the changes prevent the system from booting up, then there is no backup available to restore it in order to regain functionality. A backup of the registry is essential BEFORE making any changes to the registry.
  • Improperly removing registry entries can hamper malware disinfection and make the removal process more difficult if your computer becomes infected. For example, removing malware related registry entries before the infection is properly identified can contribute to system instability and even make the malware undetectable to removal tools.
  • The usefulness of cleaning the registry is highly overrated and can be dangerous. In most cases, using a cleaner to remove obsolete, invalid, and erroneous entries does not affect system performance but it can result in "unpredictable results".

Unless you have a particular problem that requires a registry edit to correct it, I would suggest you leave the registry alone. Using registry cleaning tools unnecessarily or incorrectly could lead to disastrous effects on your operating system such as preventing it from ever starting again. For routine use, the benefits to your computer are negligible while the potential risks are great.
<<There is a message saying something to the effect that I need to reinsert my windows install disk and a registry file is missing. I'll update the post the next time it happens.>>

Exact content of the error message...would be useful.

Based on other seemingly pertinent comments in initial post, I am moving this to Am I Infected.

Louis

#5 ARC11ORDO

ARC11ORDO
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 2 posts
  •  

Posted 18 March 2012 - 03:22 PM

Hello and thanks for the suggestions.

Louis: I'll take you at your word, as you're a moderator here. I just want to get this fixed before school starts up Monday... I'm attaching a picture of the boot manager screen that came up eventually. http://dl.dropbox.com/u/40849394/104_1638.JPG after the mouse and keyboard turned off and the screen went black, after a while the motherboard screen would come up. At that point the keyboard was back on and I selected the boot manager option. The pic shows what it wants me to do.

From googling it appears that repair would allow me to preserve my files while just replacing windows files?

I have windows installed on a solid state drive and just about everything else on a 750gb hard drive. What would you advise?

Oh and I tried doing safe mode with networking. Microsoft security essentials would not install in safe mode, so I used malwarebytes but everything froze as it was scanning my C drive (solid state where windows is installed)

Edited by ARC11ORDO, 18 March 2012 - 03:23 PM.

#6 Guest_Xircal_*

Guest_Xircal_*

• Guests
  •  

Posted 19 March 2012 - 03:12 AM

See this Microsoft KB article: How to use the Bootrec.exe tool in the Windows Recovery Environment to troubleshoot and repair startup issues in Windows

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users