Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Can't Format Hard Drive

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 Dave Jr

Dave Jr

• Members
  • 14 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:43 AM

Posted 19 February 2006 - 11:28 AM

When I last updated my computer, I took the hard drive from the old machine and put it in the new one, just to have for extra storage, not as a boot disk. Anyway, I wanted to format the drive but I can't, I assume because the page file is still there. I have deleted all of the windows files and folders that lived there before. The drive is clean except for the Recyler folder, the System Volume Information folder and the pagefile.sys, which I cannot delete.

The drive is currently the F: drive and is a Western Digital 160GB drive. It shows used space of 6.02GB, free space of 143GB, capacity of 149GB. The size of pagefile.sys is 2,359,296KB.

Again, I will only be using this drive for data storage, so maybe it is unnecessary to format, if so, please let me know. I assume I would need to delete the pagefile in order to reformat but numerous searches have resulted in no answers on how to do this. Please help if possible.

Thank you,

Dave

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Dave Jr

Dave Jr
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 14 posts
  •  

Posted 19 February 2006 - 12:52 PM

I figured it out. I did not realize that page file and virtual memory were the same thing. I turned off the page file for the f drive and was able to format just fine.

#3 acklan

acklan

Bleepin' cat's meow

• Members
  • 8,529 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:43 AM

Posted 20 February 2006 - 12:54 AM

Thank you for replying back with solution. Someone else may benefit from your post.
"2007 & 2008 Windows Shell/User Award"

#4 Dave Jr

Dave Jr
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 14 posts
  •  

Posted 20 February 2006 - 08:27 AM

No problem.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users