Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Can I set a firewall setting to just a specific account?

• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 Cometflash

Cometflash

• Members
  • 35 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:58 PM

Posted 17 March 2012 - 02:12 PM

I'm trying to run a setting to block any site except a few that I decide is ok to use, however I don't know if that can be accomplished in just the target account, or would it effect all accounts. I'm creating an account for a child, and to me this would be the less hustle and more secure way to prevent the child from getting to any unwanted site.

I know how to block them all, just need to know if can be done to just one account, if so how to proceed.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Animal

Animal

Bleepin' Animinion

• Site Admin
  • 35,905 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:58 PM

Posted 17 March 2012 - 03:00 PM

A much easier way would be to use http://www.opendns.com/home-solutions/parental-controls

The Internet is so big, so powerful and pointless that for some people it is a complete substitute for life.
Andrew Brown (1938-1994)

A learning experience is one of those things that say, "You know that thing you just did? Don't do that." Douglas Adams (1952-2001)

"Imagination is more important than knowledge. Knowledge is limited. Imagination circles the world." Albert Einstein (1879-1955)

Follow BleepingComputer on: Facebook | Twitter | Google+

#3 Cometflash

Cometflash
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 35 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:58 PM

Posted 17 March 2012 - 03:15 PM

That would only block adult content, no? We want to block everything, except sites she likes to play in, that we feel its ok. Firewall will do that, but I don't know how to target a specific account, or know if there is even a way.

#4 frankp316

frankp316

• Members
  • 2,677 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:58 PM

Posted 17 March 2012 - 05:45 PM

You might be better off using a service like Net Nanny which is designed to be set up for a child.

http://www.netnanny.com/

#5 RedDawn

RedDawn

• Members
  • 454 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:58 PM

Posted 18 March 2012 - 07:57 PM

Cometflash,

Have a look at K9 Web Protection, or you might find what you need in the link below.

http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/topic426028.html

#6 Yiddish

Yiddish

• Banned Spammer
  • 48 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:58 PM

Posted 19 March 2012 - 11:41 PM

Firewalls work across all accounts and can't be set to individual accounts
what you need is some sort of parental control system that can be set to only work on specific accounts
something like Net Nanny.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users