Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Black screen white flashing cursor

• Please log in to reply
14 replies to this topic

#1 j54ams

j54ams

• Members
  • 137 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:03 PM

Posted 17 March 2012 - 09:20 AM

First my daughter's HP Compaq V5000 laptop running Windows XP Pro shutdown on her while she was on the internet and when restarted, began boot looping after XP logo and never booted. I did a system recovery using the F10 button. Worked fine after, reinstalled programs, updates, no problem. Was turned off waiting for her to pick it up. Decided to turn it on to check it and it turned on and opened browser but didn't load page and shut down. On restart got black screen with white flashing cursor in upper left corner. Ran Driver Fitness, Seatools and Legacy. All basically not finding drive. Have pics if you want to see them. Tried putting in Xp install disc, not recognized. Tried an Ubuntu disc and could run from disc but not install. Last thing I tried was swapping hd's with working laptop. Installing working drive in V5000 gave me the blue screen with message problem detected and windows shutdown to prevent damage. restarted and got same screen. Putting V5000 hd in other laptop gave me same black scree as I got when it was in the V5000. What am I dealing with here? Hard Drive bad? Motherboard? Both? Other? Help is greatly appreciated!

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 rotor123

rotor123

• 8,093 posts
  •  

Posted 17 March 2012 - 11:32 AM

Hi,

Windows will blue screen when moved to different hardware so putting in a hard drive from a different computer is no help.

It sort of sounds as if your daughter had caught a virus. Do you have a way to scan that laptop drive in a different computer?
One way would be to pick up a inexpensive external drive case and plug it into another computer via USB.

Before doing that run this Panda USB vaccine http://download.cnet.com/Panda-USB-Vaccine/3000-2239_4-10909938.html
and vaccinate the computer to protect it just in case the drive you plug in has a autorun type of virus.
Once the drive is plugged in you should be a ble to run the Windows version of the drive diagnostics and a virus scan.

Then what happens next depends on what they find.

Good Luck
Roger

Fortune Cookie says: Fortune not Found: Abort, Retry, Ignore?

Sent from my All-In-One Desktop. Perfect for Internet, Not for heavy usage or gaming however.

How Does a computer get Infected? http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/t/2520/how-did-i-get-infected/
Forum Rules,    The BC Welcome Guide

167 @ June 2015

#3 Ken-B

Ken-B

• Members
  • 66 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:03 AM

Posted 17 March 2012 - 11:34 AM

Hi

Installing working drive in V5000

If you used a hard drive from another system in your daughter's laptop it is extremely unlikely that it would boot up as Windows would recognise that it was in a different environment.

I would be inclined to connect the problem drive to your working computer with a 2.5inch enclosure.

click here

You need to know if your drive is SATA or the older IDE ( PATA )
This enclosure is for a SATA drive.

Once you have the drive connected via the enclosure you can take off any data that is needed ( if you can access the drive )

I would then suggest running chkdsk /r /f on the problem drive.
I, or somebody else can explain this, if you decide to go down this route.

This link will explain how to identify which drive you have
http://kenspchelp.co.uk/viewtopic.php?f=9&t=76

EDIT:
Just read the previous post.
If a virus is suspected you can run MBAM and scan with the working computer's AV by right clicking on the drive and selecting "Scan With ...."
This is whilst you are connected via the enclosure

Edited by Ken-B, 17 March 2012 - 11:39 AM.

#4 j54ams

j54ams
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 137 posts
  •  

Posted 17 March 2012 - 12:29 PM

Thanks! I did have an adapter bridge to connect IDE/SATA drives to other computers and used it on this one, (it's an IDE)and all that showed up was the adapter and not the hard drive unless I did it wrong somehow. I don't have a problem getting a new hard drive, just wanted to be reasonably sure that was the problem and not the motherboard.

#5 Ken-B

Ken-B

• Members
  • 66 posts
  •  

Posted 18 March 2012 - 12:59 PM

all that showed up was the adapter and not the hard drive

Did the drive show in disk-management ?
Start > type in ...diskmgmt.msc .....ENTER

It does look like a problem with the drive.

Edited by Ken-B, 18 March 2012 - 01:02 PM.

#6 j54ams

j54ams
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 137 posts
  •  

Posted 18 March 2012 - 01:14 PM

Tried that and it does not show up there either. I ordered an enclosure from ebay and will test with that also. Then if it doesn't show up, I'll order a new drive. Thanks again!

#7 Ken-B

Ken-B

• Members
  • 66 posts
  •  

Posted 18 March 2012 - 05:49 PM

Thanks again!

You are welcome.

I think that we were of the same opinion anyway regarding the drive :)

#8 j54ams

j54ams
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 137 posts
  •  

Posted 18 March 2012 - 05:52 PM

Yep, we were of the same opinion! I'll post back when I get the new drive and get it installed.

#9 Ken-B

Ken-B

• Members
  • 66 posts
  •  

Posted 19 March 2012 - 07:51 PM

:thumbup2:

Keep in touch.

#10 j54ams

j54ams
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 137 posts
  •  

Posted 22 March 2012 - 02:13 PM

Got enclosure. Failed to install drivers. Have new hard drive ordered.

#11 Ken-B

Ken-B

• Members
  • 66 posts
  •  

Posted 22 March 2012 - 05:50 PM

If the drive wasn't recognised from the enclosure then I think you can assume it has died.

Good Luck with the new drive :)

#12 j54ams

j54ams
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 137 posts
  •  

Posted 22 March 2012 - 06:31 PM

Thanks. Let you know when drive gets installed. :thumbup2:

#13 j54ams

j54ams
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 137 posts
  •  

Posted 26 March 2012 - 07:49 PM

Got new hard drive installed and reinstalled Windows XP Pro from original recovery discs made when first purchased laptop. Am in process of removing crapware and installing updates. Can't connect to internet wireless yet but think will be able to after all updates. Have to get SP3 installed yet.

#14 j54ams

j54ams
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 137 posts
  •  

Posted 26 March 2012 - 08:02 PM

Thanks to all who helped me! Do I need to mark this solved? If so, how do I?

#15 Ken-B

Ken-B

• Members
  • 66 posts
  •  

Posted 27 March 2012 - 03:23 AM

Good to hear that your machine is up-and-running again.

well done for sticking with it :thumbup2:

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users