Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Help - Computer keeps shutting down

• Please log in to reply
6 replies to this topic

#1 golden12

golden12

• Members
  • 4 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:37 PM

Posted 17 March 2012 - 08:19 AM

I have a 2 year old HP computer running windows 7. Never had any problems until last week. It just shut down while I was on it. I tried restarting, it would go to the log in page and shut down again (not shut off, but actually shut down) When I would try to put my password in, it kept typing letters until the box was full. I tried system restore and finally had to do system recovery. Upon finishing that when it restarted, it shut down again. I kept trying and it seemed to stay on longer each time til I finally got it to work. Was ok for about 5 days and started all over again. I wasn't able to open and reinstall my personal stuff. I was afraid maybe something in there messed it up. Any ideas? I don't have a password on my restart now and it sometimes will load everything but mostly shuts down after it says welcome. Sometimes it will stay on an hour, sometimes won't stay on at all. Since I wiped it clean pretty much, surely if there was something file wise, I would have removed it? Is it the computer itself? I have Norton Internet Security 2012. I cleaned my keyboard, thought maybe a key was stuck the way it would keep typing like I had a key pressed. I noticed it sometimes does that if I am typing, then shuts down.

Edited by golden12, 17 March 2012 - 08:20 AM.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Guest_Xircal_*

Guest_Xircal_*

• Guests
  •  

Posted 17 March 2012 - 12:33 PM

Those kind of symptoms are indicative of a failing power supply. Try booting into Safe Mode and see if it does the same thing. Windows Safe Mode only loads a minimum set of devioe drivers and doesn't place the system under any strain. Don't do anything and just leave it running for a while. If it still shuts down regardless, then it's almost certainly power related. It could also be the case that the CPU fan has failed whereby the system shuts down automatically to avoid damage to the motherboard.

To boot into Safe Mode, hit F8 a couple of times immediately after the HP logo disappears from view which will take you to the Windows Advanced menu. You'll see Safe Mode in the options. Use the up/down arrow keys to select it and then hit Enter.

Is the machine still under warranty? If so, give HP tech support a call so that they can arrange to replace it for you.

#3 golden12

golden12
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 4 posts
  •  

Posted 17 March 2012 - 08:35 PM

No it is not still under warranty. I put it in safe mode and it stayed on. I have run every diagnostic test it has and everything checks out ok. If it is the fan, can it be fixed easily or do I need to take it somewhere? Thanks for your help.

#4 Guest_Xircal_*

Guest_Xircal_*

• Guests
  •  

Posted 18 March 2012 - 03:28 AM

If it runs OK in Safe Mode, then it's unlikely to be hardware related.

Click the Start button and then in the search utility at the bottom, type "Disk Cleanup". Then run that to cleanup unnecessary files on your system. Make sure you checkmark all the boxes before proceeding.

But did you update any drivers prior to the problem occuring, or did you install any apps, or 'free' utilities?

Which AV do you use? A DAT update has been known to cause this type of problem too. Here are a few examples:
Free ClamWin virus scanner moves most of Windows into quarantine
AVG update cripples 64-bit computers
BitDefender update cripples Windows computers
Microsoft Security Essentials identifies Google Chrome as a Trojan

You could try disabling your AV to see if it makes any difference. If the machine functions properly with it disabled, then switch to another security program. I'd recommend the free version of AVAST which you can download from here: http://forum.avast.com/index.php?topic=95170.0

#5 golden12

golden12
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 4 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:37 PM

Posted 18 March 2012 - 04:05 PM

I didn't updaate anything recently and I have been running Norton Internet Security 2012 for a few months. I did the disk cleanup but it still shut down. Could it be my keyboard? I unpluged it from the back of the computer and it stayed on for a few hours. I plugged it back in and within 2 minutes, it shut down.

#6 Guest_Xircal_*

Guest_Xircal_*

• Guests
  •  

Posted 19 March 2012 - 03:00 AM

I didn't updaate anything recently and I have been running Norton Internet Security 2012 for a few months. I did the disk cleanup but it still shut down. Could it be my keyboard? I unpluged it from the back of the computer and it stayed on for a few hours. I plugged it back in and within 2 minutes, it shut down.

Is it a USB keyboard or PS/2? You can damage the motherboard by unplugging a PS/2 keyboard while the PC is running.

If it was a USB keyboard, you could try plugging in a new one to see if it does the same thing.

#7 golden12

golden12
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 4 posts
  •  

Posted 19 March 2012 - 08:04 PM

I had a USB Keyboard. I installed the PS/2 before starting up and it has been working for about a day now with it. Will wait and see. Thanks

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users