Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Internet Explorer problem - Nortons

• Please log in to reply
6 replies to this topic

#1 Professorbed

Professorbed

• Members
  • 62 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:54 PM

Posted 17 March 2012 - 08:16 AM

Hi

My wife has a Compaq laptop and she is having problems with it.

Firstly she has Nortons installed on it and gets a One Click Support box open up every time she switches on. This says there is problems with her Nortons, and when i look into it and try and update her Nortons, every single thing fails to update. When i rebooted later this would just 'think'.

What is more concerning though is her Internet Explorer is having severe problems now. IE will open up complete with all her home tabs, but nothing appears in the content area. The mouse icon become very blurry and flickery too. I have also noticed on her 'gadgets' on the desktop her weather gadget is now completely transparent.

I have clicked on other favourites as well. It says it has gone to that site but says that there was a problem displaying the site and compatability view was attempted. This happens with everything i try.

Unfortunately she does not have any other browsers installed and when i click on her browser choice icon again the box appears with the title but the rest is blank.

She has Windows Vista installed. Her pictures do open up normally, Word & Excel open up fine. iTunes works perfectly. Its not the router as this separate PC and iPod still work perfectly.

Many thanks for any advice or help

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 hamluis

hamluis

• 56,272 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:54 PM

Posted 17 March 2012 - 01:37 PM

I would uninstall any Symantec program...run chkdsk /r command...and then reboot the system. I would replace the Symantec programs with any free AV of your choice (Avast, Avira come to mind) and use the Windows firewall.

In the meantime, ignore the browser problems (for the moment).

Louis

Edited by hamluis, 17 March 2012 - 01:38 PM.

#3 Professorbed

Professorbed
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 62 posts
  •  

Posted 18 March 2012 - 11:37 AM

Hi Louis

I have now uninstalled symantec and have run chkdsk /r

The internet browser problems currrently remain. Of course i have not been able to install Avast or Avira as a result.

Thanks for your help
David

#4 InadequateInfirmity

InadequateInfirmity

I Gots Me A Certified Edumication

• Banned
  • 5,180 posts
  •  

Posted 18 March 2012 - 01:29 PM

You have your computer in the same place??Transfer firefox norton removal tool and avast free over to her machine you will need to download these programs onto your desktop. You can transfer via cd/dvd or usb device.

http://www.mozilla.org/en-US/firefox/new/ firefox
http://majorgeeks.com/Norton_Removal_Tool_d4749.html (norton removal tool Run this first)
http://download.cnet.com/Avast-Free-Antivirus/3000-2239_4-10019223.html?part=dl-85737&subj=dl&tag=button Avast free it wouldnt hurt to do a full scan with avast once you install it.

#5 Professorbed

Professorbed
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 62 posts
  •  

Posted 18 March 2012 - 03:22 PM

Have done that now and have installed Firefox and Avast via disc.

I shall tell her not to use Internet Explorer

Thanks

#6 InadequateInfirmity

InadequateInfirmity

I Gots Me A Certified Edumication

• Banned
  • 5,180 posts
  •  

Posted 18 March 2012 - 03:32 PM

Np problem did you run the norton removal tool which is required to complete the removal of norton.Also is everything working up to par now.Another thing you can add to the computer to keep it up to par is superantispyware and malwarebytes run updated scans once a week with them.You can find these programs at superantispyware.com and malwarebytes.org Have a good day. :)

#7 Professorbed

Professorbed
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 62 posts
  •  

Posted 18 March 2012 - 06:46 PM

Hi there

Yes i did run the Norton's removal program first, before starting anything else.

I really dont know what happened to her Internet Explorer, but its still not functioning but have advised her to use Firefox instead. The 'gadgets' on the desktop also still do not appear, but im sure she can live without it.

I will install superantispyware and malwarebytes at your suggestion too. Thanks.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users