Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Windows 7 Professional audio driver problem...

• Please log in to reply
11 replies to this topic

#1 mjl1297

mjl1297

• Members
  • 96 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:52 PM

Posted 17 March 2012 - 01:33 AM

I recently installed Windows 7 Professional 64 bit on a machine utilising an Asus M4N82 Deluxe motherboard. I subsequently installed all current drivers for use with Win7 64 bit for the Mobo downloaded from the Asus website. Windows 7 itself found current drivers for the peripherals that it supports. For the first few days all ran well without any issues. Then Win 7 ran some updates and now whenever I awake my computer from sleep mode it tells me that the audio driver is not installed. A restart brings it back--or has so far--but what is causing it and is there anything I can do? I have uninstalled and reinstalled the driver to no avail. From web searches this sems to be a common problem with no clear answer which likely means it is an issue with MS at the root of it and unwilling or unable to address it.

FWIW, the machine is telling me that my power management system is missing a driver. I have downloaded it from the Asus website but have not installed it. Could this be the issue then? I'm reluctant to install it without some advice lest I make things worse.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Guest_Xircal_*

Guest_Xircal_*

• Guests
  •  

Posted 17 March 2012 - 05:33 AM

Are there any black exclamation marks inside yellow circles visible in Device Manager? If there are, right click the device and choose "Uninstall". Confirm that you want to uninstall the device and then right click the top of the device tree and choose "Scan For Hardware changes" to reinstall it again.

If the OS can't find the driver, click "Have Disk" and then navigate to the folder you saved the drivers to.

#3 rotor123

rotor123

• 8,093 posts
  •  

Posted 17 March 2012 - 12:05 PM

Always use the Asus drivers and not the drivers windows finds for optimum performance.
Sound, chipset, ethernet, Sometimes VGA and Wireless, etc.

There is usually a Asus driver something like ATK10 that needs to be installed too.

Good Luck
Roger

Fortune Cookie says: Fortune not Found: Abort, Retry, Ignore?

Sent from my All-In-One Desktop. Perfect for Internet, Not for heavy usage or gaming however.

How Does a computer get Infected? http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/t/2520/how-did-i-get-infected/
Forum Rules,    The BC Welcome Guide

167 @ June 2015

#4 mjl1297

mjl1297
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 96 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:52 PM

Posted 17 March 2012 - 07:29 PM

Xircal there are no yellow exclamation icons in device manager apart from the one associated with the HP Scanner I have connected which is not supported under Win7.

rotor123 I have used only Asus drivers from their website. I inadvertently left the Win7 update settings to automatic download and install after I installed the OS and I believe something was downloaded and installed during that period that is causing the conflict. I have since changed the settings in Windows Update.

#5 Guest_Xircal_*

Guest_Xircal_*

• Guests
  •  

Posted 18 March 2012 - 04:00 AM

It seems you're not alone with this problem: Windows 7 after sleep mode sound not working There are various other forums around the web citing the same problem.

All I can suggest you do is to check the Windows Download site for a reliability fix. Microsoft download center Microsoft releases these quite regularly, but they're not installed automatically even if you have Automatic Updates enabled. The link takes you to security patches and I can't seem to link directly to the pages where the reliability patches can be found. So you need to change the download type from "Security patch" to "Update" as shown in the screenshot.

You'll also need to click the KB# link to find out what it does. My advice here is to right click the link and choose to open it in a new tab so that you don't lose sight of the original listing.

Attached Files

#6 mjl1297

mjl1297
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 96 posts
  •  

Posted 18 March 2012 - 08:00 AM

Xircal I appreciate the reply but it looks like I could be a while and quite a few clicks going through that list! I wish Microsoft would just address the issue.

#7 rotor123

rotor123

• 8,093 posts
  •  

Posted 18 March 2012 - 09:40 AM

Hi, One thing to try. Go to the device manager, sound Video and game controllers section. Find your sound card and try rolling back the drivers.

Always a possibility that Windows updated them.

Good Luck
Roger

Sent from my All-In-One Desktop. Perfect for Internet, Not for heavy usage or gaming however.

How Does a computer get Infected? http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/t/2520/how-did-i-get-infected/

167 @ June 2015

#8 Guest_Xircal_*

Guest_Xircal_*

• Guests
  •  

Posted 18 March 2012 - 09:46 AM

It's probably in there somewhere because the same issue arose in Vista: A high definition audio device may no longer work after you resume Windows Vista from hibernation or from sleep

What should help though is that you should get a message at the top which says that the article doesn't apply to your OS and should include a link to one that does.

#9 dnthns87

dnthns87

• Members
  • 27 posts
  •  

Posted 18 March 2012 - 10:18 AM

Can you confirm the windows audio service is running and working properly?

#10 mjl1297

mjl1297
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 96 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:52 PM

Posted 18 March 2012 - 08:09 PM

Thanks everyone for your replies. Right now I've just set the computer where it never sleeps. Since doing that the issue has not repeated. Win 7 is installed on a new SSD and I've gathered from other forum posts that this won't hurt anything.

#11 rotor123

rotor123

• 8,093 posts
  •  

Posted 19 March 2012 - 09:22 AM

Sometimes it is just easier to go around the problem.

Any reason you don't just set it to turn the screen off?
Then you move the mouse and ready to use.

You can set that in the control panel using the power options applet.

Click on Create a power plan, Pick a plan to modify and set the "put the computer to sleep" as Never
Set Turn the display off to anything from 1 minute to 5 hours. Only the display turns off then.

Good Luck
Roger

Edited by rotor123, 19 March 2012 - 11:06 AM.

167 @ June 2015

#12 mjl1297

mjl1297
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 96 posts
  •  

Posted 25 March 2012 - 06:50 AM

rotor123 that is exactly what I did. No more problems with the audio driver so far! Many thanks everyone!

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users