Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

System

• Please log in to reply
7 replies to this topic

#1 zcooler

zcooler

• Members
  • 28 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:38 AM

Posted 16 March 2012 - 10:57 PM

Hi,

I have been having some problems with my laptop for the past week or so. I have Windows Vista Home Premium, and recently, my computer starts to freeze after moments of inactivity or when I try to use my computer after a moment of inactivity (>10 minutes or so). Sometimes I can still move the mouse, but nothing responds and I'm forced to hold down the power button. CHKDSK would then run during the next startup attempt and correct some problems.

It is quite bizarre. I ran in safe mode and did not encounter this problem. I also have Linux Mint on this computer, and that didn't have any issues either. Thinking it was something wrong with Vista, I performed a system restore to 3/8. The problem however, is still there. I didn't have a screensaver before, so I went to add one just to see if it would do anything, and my computer froze on the screensaver. Does anyone know why this is happening? It didn't do this before...Did I get a virus or something? I ran MalwareBytes and Kaspersky in safe mode but didn't find anything.

Thanks

Edit: Whoops, I bumped into the submit button somehow before I finish entering the subject. Cant figure out how to delete thread either.

Edited by zcooler, 16 March 2012 - 11:00 PM.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 noknojon

noknojon

• Banned
  • 10,871 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:38 PM

Posted 17 March 2012 - 03:50 AM

Edit: Whoops, I bumped into the submit button somehow before I finish entering the subject. Cant figure out how to delete thread either.

Hi -
Do you mean that you have fixed your problem, or do you still require help ??

P.S. You did find the EDIT button, but there is no need to delete if you solved this, just repost that you have fixed this problem -

Thank You -

#3 zcooler

zcooler
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 28 posts
  •  

Posted 17 March 2012 - 09:05 AM

Hi,

I still require help. I meant to say that I accidentally clicked the add reply button before I entered a suitable Subject Title. My problem, as described, still exists.

Thanks

#4 hamluis

hamluis

• 55,748 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:38 AM

Posted 17 March 2012 - 01:41 PM

FWIW: When chkdsk runs automatically, I interpret that as a signal that the user needs to run the chkdsk /r command after the system reboots.

The chkdsk /r command is more complete/thorough than the auto chkdsk.

Louis

#5 noknojon

noknojon

• Banned
  • 10,871 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:38 PM

Posted 17 March 2012 - 06:30 PM

chkdsk /r Instructions For Vista
Just a few quick directions on running chkdsk /r if you were not sure -
Method (1) is the easy option. Follow directions and then reboot to start check (takes "about" 1 hour)

Thank You -

#6 dnthns87

dnthns87

• Members
  • 27 posts
  •  

Posted 18 March 2012 - 11:33 AM

CHKDSK /F /R

And was wondering are you by chance running windows/linux on different partitions of the same HDD?

#7 zcooler

zcooler
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 28 posts
  •  

Posted 20 March 2012 - 11:40 PM

I tried running Chkdsk the past couple of days, but my computer would always freeze when it gets to step 5. I would then be forced to hit the power button on my laptop. I tried this about 5 times. I am running linux/windows from different partitions of the same HDD.

#8 hamluis

hamluis

• 55,748 posts
  •  

Posted 21 March 2012 - 09:06 AM

FWIW: One of my systems froze last week when I was running chkdsk /r.

In my case, the system would freeze (during an AV check) when it came to the program files folder for an application I had installed...and the same would happen when I tried removing the application via Add/Remove Programs or using Revo Uninstaller.

I concluded that the program folder was corrupt, so much so that it just stopped any scanning activity of any sort.

So I eventually rebooted and used Unlocker to remove the entire folder...all scans (AV, chkdsk /r, hard drive diagnostic) ran cleanly and completely thereafter.

Louis

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users