Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

"Boot" Folder Has Appeared on my D Drive

• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 jpeg

jpeg

• Members
  • 19 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:35 PM

Posted 16 March 2012 - 08:01 PM

I have two separate internal Drives: Drive C and Drive D. Drive D is only used to store things like photos, music, and documents.

Just recently a folder called "Boot" appeared on my D Drive. Here's a partial shot of its contents:

Posted Image

This new folder on my D Drive doesn't seem necessary, and I don't know why it's there. I completely disconnected my D Drive and booted my computer, and it booted just fine (There IS a "Boot" folder in c:\windows also).

When I try to delete the folder from my D Drive, I get the message, "You require permission from TrustedInstaller to make changes to this folder." Trying to get permission to delete it, I made myself the owner of the folder. So now when I try to delete it, it says, "You require permission from PEGSCOMPUTER/PEG to make changes to this folder." I AM PEG!

There's also a file called "bootmgr" and "BOOTSECT.BAK" on my D Drive that won't let themselves be deleted either.

Does anyone know why the folder (and the two files) appeared in the first place, and does anyone know how to get rid of them???

Peg

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 James Litten

James Litten

Ԁǝǝ˥q

• BC Advisor
  • 1,946 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:35 PM

Posted 16 March 2012 - 08:23 PM

Hi

That looks like a folder and files used for Windows Preinstallation Environment (Windows PE). Did you start a Windows install and then stop it before completing it recently? Or maybe did some kind of unorthodox restore recently that required a partial install to boot to Windows before restoring?

James

#3 jpeg

jpeg
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 19 posts
  •  

Posted 20 March 2012 - 05:28 PM

Yes, James! I did a Windows 7 "System Image Restore" just prior to discovering this problem. Why would it write to my D Drive? And, if it did, how do I delete those files that it wrote to it? They seem complete unnecessary to the booting or running of my computer.

Peg

#4 James Litten

James Litten

Ԁǝǝ˥q

• BC Advisor
  • 1,946 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:35 PM

Posted 20 March 2012 - 07:54 PM

Hi Peg

When you did the restore, maybe the D: drive was considered the C: drive or the recovery was done from the D: drive (which would require a \boot folder).

If you did remove these files and folders, Windows 7 might want to do a 'Startup Repair' of some sort (but probably not) so I would not recommend it. The only time it might be a problem is if you decide to remove the D: drive in the future.

If you ever have a problem with the computer in the future, be sure to mention this setup to anyone who helps you. Otherwise, it should not noticeably affect performance and it will not take up too much space.

It's not a 'bad guy' but removing it might make some unexpected extra work for you :)

Hope this helps.

James

#5 jpeg

jpeg
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 19 posts
  •  

Posted 20 March 2012 - 08:35 PM

Okay, James. I'll just leave the folder where it is, although it just bugs me to have an unnecessary folder sitting around.

Again, though, I DID disconnect the D Drive and booted up the computer just fine. So it doesn't seem to be looking for anything on the D Drive in order to boot.

Anyway, I guess I can live with it. :wink:

Thanks for your help!!!

Peg

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users