Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Technical Support

• Please log in to reply
8 replies to this topic

#1 richierein

richierein

• Members
  • 379 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:50 PM

Posted 16 March 2012 - 07:49 PM

Lately I have been badgered with high pressure sales tactics from several companies who provide technical support most notably Iyogi and PcWizard. Using the Event Viewer, they found (I embarrassed to say) over 37,000 warnings, errors and informative messages which have accumulated over the past three to four years. Each has told me that I am risking everything on my computer unless this problem is dealt with immediately even though I do a complete backup twice a week. Needless to say, I told each of them I wanted to do some research about their respective companies before making a decision. This was the only way to get them off the phone. I have no idea how they got hold of my telephone number in the first place and each was reluctant to tell me. Actually, I would like to learn how to effectively manage this situation myself. This leads me to two questions. Firstly, would it be worth my while to have a strange company I have never heard of take over control of my computer? Secondly, how and where would I go about learning how to manage this situation myself? The latter of these would be far more preferable to me since it would enable me to provide this service to my clients. I have been working with computers for 27 years and my capacity to learn has not diminished regardless of my advanced age. When the link was disconnected between my computer and PcWizard, they left behind a program called 'Advanced WindowsCare V2'. I believe all they were about to do was to run this program beyond the analysis stage which would handle all or some of the Event Viewer situations but I'm very much in the dark about this. Can someone here give me good advice?

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Broni

Broni

The Coolest BC Computer

• BC Advisor
  • 42,662 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:50 PM

Posted 16 March 2012 - 08:56 PM

I'm afraid you're a victim of a scam.

Using the Event Viewer, they found (I embarrassed to say) over 37,000 warnings

If your computer is working just fine there is absolutely no reason to dig through Event Viewer.
Every computer will have some warnings, errors etc. listed there.
It's NORMAL.

My Website

p4433470.gif

My help doesn't cost a penny, but if you'd like to consider a donation, click p22001735.gif

#3 AustrAlien

AustrAlien

Inquisitor

• BC Advisor
  • 6,772 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:50 AM

Posted 16 March 2012 - 09:38 PM

Lately I have been badgered with high pressure sales tactics from several companies who provide technical support most notably Iyogi and PcWizard.

Scammers! Don't let them anywhere near your computer. They are after your money ... one way or another.

You wrote: "Using the Event Viewer, they found ... over 37,000 warnings, errors and informative messages which have accumulated over the past three to four years."
Without actually tallying up those on my own 6 year old installation of XP, I expect the number would rival yours ... and probably exceed it by a good margin: It is of no concern to me. As Broni said above, that is normal and to be expected. If your computer is running OK without a problem, there is no need to be concerned about what has accumulated in the Event logs.

After 3 or 4 years it is probably a good idea to clear the Event logs anyway, and get rid of all that past history ... if you have not ever done it before. You can do that easily from within Event Viewer.
AustrAlien
Google is my friend. Make Google your friend too.

Posted Image

#4 rotor123

rotor123

• 8,093 posts
  •  

Posted 17 March 2012 - 12:18 PM

Hi,

Next time they call lie to them, They deserve it as they are lying scammers.

Tell them I was so worried about all the event log errors that I wiped the hard drive and installed a fresh copy of Windows and now my event viewer shows no errors at all.

Give no details and do not let them remote into your computer. Never, ever!

I have no doubt that if I went into this sweet running Windows 7, 3 days old, I'd find warnings and errors in the event viewer. As was mentioned if it is running OK ignore!

It is worth trying on calls looking for donations too. Just say
Oh, I wish I could donate but since I lost my job 6 months ago there is no money. My credit cards are maxed.
Or do what someone did. lead them on and act really interested on a sales call. Then when they ask for the credit card / bank account info. Say please wait. Put the phone down walk away and walk back so they can hear you walking. Came back and say I asked my Mommy and she said no.

I believe it was on this forum that a poor user let them remote in to his computer for a free diagnosis.
The caller spent a hour cleaning out files (system files too as I recall it)

Good Luck getting rid of these vermin.
Don't answer Unavailable on the caller ID and so on.

Cheers
Roger
After 1 hour when they asked for money and he refused the caller went away.
Of course that windows installation was ruined and would not boot after that.

Fortune Cookie says: Fortune not Found: Abort, Retry, Ignore?

Sent from my All-In-One Desktop. Perfect for Internet, Not for heavy usage or gaming however.

How Does a computer get Infected? http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/t/2520/how-did-i-get-infected/
Forum Rules,    The BC Welcome Guide

167 @ June 2015

#5 richierein

richierein
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 379 posts
  •  

Posted 18 March 2012 - 04:12 AM

From my Administrator account, I invoked the Event viewer. I clicked Custom Views > Administrative Events. There they were, 37,035 events and growing each day, 29 of them yesterday. I looked in the Actions menu as described in 'Help' but there was no option to Clear or Save and Clear these events. Is there some permission that I'm lacking? I would like to get rid of this unnecessary historical information.

#6 AustrAlien

AustrAlien

Inquisitor

• BC Advisor
  • 6,772 posts
  •  

Posted 18 March 2012 - 04:56 AM

"Custom Views > Administrative Events" is not actually a log, merely a filtered summary view of the logs content.

Under Custom Views in the left-side column, you will see Windows Logs.
Expand Windows Logs and you will see:
  • Application
  • Security
  • Setup
  • System
Those are the actual logs: Application and System are the two main logs that you might ever be interested in. When you select (click on) one of those, then you will see the option in the Action menu to Clear Log > Save and Clear that particular log. You will need to repeat for each log.

It certainly won't hurt to choose Clear Log > Save and Clear to save a copy of the logs for posterity/viewing later if you wish.

Edited by AustrAlien, 18 March 2012 - 05:02 AM.

AustrAlien
Google is my friend. Make Google your friend too.

Posted Image

#7 Union_Thug

Union_Thug

Bleeps with the fishes...

• Members
  • 2,355 posts
  •  

Posted 18 March 2012 - 03:13 PM

"Custom Views > Administrative Events" is not actually a log, merely a filtered summary view of the logs content.

Under Custom Views in the left-side column, you will see Windows Logs.
Expand Windows Logs and you will see:

• Application
  • Security
  • Setup
  • System
Those are the actual logs: Application and System are the two main logs that you might ever be interested in. When you select (click on) one of those, then you will see the option in the Action menu to Clear Log > Save and Clear that particular log. You will need to repeat for each log.

It certainly won't hurt to choose Clear Log > Save and Clear to save a copy of the logs for posterity/viewing later if you wish.

Or, you could do this: Event Viewer One Click Clear

Credit: Zardoc @ sevenforums.com

#8 lambertusjan

lambertusjan

• Members
  • 6 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:50 AM

Posted 03 July 2012 - 05:13 AM

Yesterday i was called by people with a very Indian (far east that is) accent claiming they called from Windowscare (better spelled Window Scare)residing in California (my foot). About two minutes he talked me to the event log where i saw indeed a lot of errors which seemed quite normal, he then asked me to go and run something (inf_virus i believe). At that point i decided i was being taken for a ride and terminated the call.
They had the guts to call me back a minute later (a female) to ask what went wrong, which I explained to them.
As far as i could here there was quite some hubbub with several people speaking on phones, so they have quite an organisation.
Anybody an idea what and where they reside?

After 40 years in IT am now inclined to declare war on these criminals.

WHATEVER YOU DO DONT START EXECUTING ANYTHING WHILE THEY ARE ON THE PHONE!

#9 noknojon

noknojon

• Banned
  • 10,871 posts
  •  

Posted 03 July 2012 - 05:29 AM

Same phone call today myself -
The usual garbage about a prolem with M/soft, and offering to help as part of M/soft Service Dept -
I led them on for a few mins and then said I had a MAC is that still OK - :hysterical: "Oh sorry sir", and she hung up on me ??

Useless Scam artists that only want access to your files and strip all information out from a Widows System -

>>"Anybody an idea what and where they reside?"<<
In a back room in some Indian city call-center -

Edited by noknojon, 03 July 2012 - 05:36 AM.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users