Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Windows Error Recovery

• This topic is locked This topic is locked
7 replies to this topic

#1 rwmspen

rwmspen

• Members
  • 4 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:43 PM

Posted 16 March 2012 - 06:14 PM

Hi there,

I am you classic novis when it come to broken computers. My friend recommended this site to me and said it was very helpful and has also suggested things I may include in this brief.

To tell the truth, I experimented with some downloading, specifically trying to get software for windows office. This was when the problems started... during the installation i was instructed to disable the anti virus and foolishly did do. There after my computer never turned on.

I currently run Virgin Media anti virus and Windows Vista O/S (or did).

When turning on my computer it automatically runs to 'Windows Error Recovery' and gives a count down before automatically selecting 1 of the 2 options

Option 1

'Launch Startup Repair (recommended)'. This runs my computers recovery programe (Backup/restore data) where it will restore factory default settings and delete all my personal data.

From this point I can either press Next or Cancel. Because it is telling me all my personal data will be lost I press cancel and then it shuts down my computer automatically.

If i select the 2nd option 'Start Windows Normally' it flashes up a blue screen for split second. I recored this on my phone and found that on the blue screen this was written (it does get blurry at the end as i will indicate...

'A problem has been detected and windows has been shut down to prevent damage to your computer. If this is the first time you've seen this stop error screen restart your computer. If this screen appears again follow these steps...
Disable or uninstall any anti-virus, disk defragmentation or backup utilities. Check your hard drive configuration and check for any updated drivers. (This next part is blurry and i cant be sure what it says) Run CHKDSK /F to check for hard drive corruption ... '

After this blue screen flashes on and off the computer then shuts down.

I really hope you can help me out with this. All that is important on the computer is my files and i am hoping i may be able to at least retrieve these.

If i can provide anymore information then please let me know, though what i have listed above is all that i can see when turning it on.

p.s. is there a way of attaching pictures to aid any forthcoming information you may need?

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 rwmspen

rwmspen
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 4 posts
  •  

Posted 16 March 2012 - 06:15 PM

Left this part out sorry...

Thanks very much!!

#3 Elise

Elise

Bleepin' Blonde

• Malware Study Hall Admin
  • 61,420 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:43 AM

Posted 19 March 2012 - 02:37 AM

Startup repair shoudln't delete any data. It may give you a warning to backup, but that is all. Please try STartup Repair first.

A tutorial on how to do this can be found here: http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/tutorials/repair-windows-with-windows-startup-repair/

regards, Elise

"Now faith is the substance of things hoped for, the evidence of things not seen."

Follow BleepingComputer on: Facebook | Twitter | Google+ | lockerdome

Malware analyst @ Emsisoft

animinionsmalltext.gif

#4 rwmspen

rwmspen
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 4 posts
  •  

Posted 19 March 2012 - 01:29 PM

Hi thanks for the reply.

I have tried booting the computer with the Vista CD as per the link you posted. This however did not load up lake it does on the link. The computer ignored the the fack that i put a CD in to it and ran Backup/Restore data which i mentioned in my earlier post (option 1).

As you suggested I tried carrying out option 1.

On the first window it says
'Restore factory default settings, personal data will be lost!'

2nd window
'Select source for your restore'
'from hard disk (recommended)'

3rd window
'Select the target drive'
'Select a hard disk on which you want to restore default settings'
The only option i have is '(0)'

4th window
'Are you sure you want to restore the personal back up on this hard disk?0The entire contents of this hard disk including all partitions will be deleted!'

I got to this point, after having no prompt to back anything up and I caved. I was sure it was going to delete all my files. Is this the case? Should i continue with it or is there something in the Vista CD (mentioned above) that i'm missing.

Thanks very much again, really appreciate your help.

#5 Elise

Elise

Bleepin' Blonde

• 61,420 posts
  •  

Posted 19 March 2012 - 01:51 PM

Is this a standard (retail) vista DVD or an OEM disk?

When you tap F8 until the advanced boot options come up, do you see an option Repair Windows? If so, choose that and see if the Startup repair option is available once loaded.

regards, Elise

"Now faith is the substance of things hoped for, the evidence of things not seen."

animinionsmalltext.gif

#6 rwmspen

rwmspen
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 4 posts
  •  

Posted 26 March 2012 - 07:55 AM

Hi, Thanks for the reply.

Yeah it is a standard retail DVD: Operating System - Recovery DVD (Windows Vista Home Premium).

When pressing F8 there was no Startup repair option. Options included:

Safe Mode
Safe Mode with Networking
Safe Mode with Command Prompt

Enable Boot logging
Enable Low res video
Last Known Good configuration (advanced)
Directory Services restore mode
Debugging mode
Disable automatic restart on system failure
Disable driver signature enforcement

Start Windows normally.

Thanks again for your help.

#7 Elise

Elise

Bleepin' Blonde

• 61,420 posts
  •  

Posted 26 March 2012 - 08:48 AM

In that case lets do a bit more investigation.

Try this please. You will need a USB drive.

Download GETxPUD.exe to the desktop of your clean computer
  • Run GETxPUD.exe
  • A new folder will appear on the desktop.
  • Open the GETxPUD folder and click on the get&burn.bat
  • The program will download xpud_0.9.2.iso, and upon finished will open BurnCDCC ready to burn the image.
  • Click on Start and follow the prompts to burn the image to a CD.
  • Remove the USB & CD and insert it in the sick computer
  • Boot the Sick computer with the CD you just burned
  • The computer must be set to boot from the CD
  • Gently tap F12 and choose to boot from the CD
  • Follow the prompts
  • A Welcome to xPUD screen will appear
  • Press File
  • Expand mnt
  • sda1,2...usually corresponds to your HDD
  • sdb1 is likely your USB
  • Click on the folder that represents your USB drive (sdb1 ?)
  • Press Tool at the top
  • Choose Open Terminal
  • Type the following and press enter:

dd if=/dev/sda of=mbr.bin bs=512 count=1

• Press Enter
  • After it has finished a file will be located on your USB drive named mbr.bin
  • Remove the USB drive and insert it back in your working computer and navigate to mbr.bin, zip it up and attach it to your next reply.

This will allow me to have a look at the MasterBootRecord of your drive and see if it is infected.

regards, Elise

animinionsmalltext.gif

#8 Elise

Elise

Bleepin' Blonde

• 61,420 posts
  •  

Posted 28 April 2012 - 06:48 AM

Due to the lack of feedback, this topic is now closed.In the event you still have problems, please send me or any Moderator a Private Message and ask them to reopen this topic within the next 5 days. Please include a link to your topic in the Private Message. Thank you.

regards, Elise

animinionsmalltext.gif

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users