Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

network setup

• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 ortho1121

ortho1121

• Members
  • 8 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:51 PM

Posted 16 March 2012 - 04:31 PM

I purchased and setup a wireless router that seems to be working. How do I now set up my home wireless network? How do I set up the password, etc? I know this is basic for you guys but DUH I have no idea what I am doing. Thanks to anyone who can help. Presently using Win7

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 noknojon

noknojon

• Banned
  • 10,871 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:51 AM

Posted 16 March 2012 - 05:25 PM

Hi -

Please list the make and version of Modem/Router (if known), It should be on the box -

Also do you run telephone, or just internet through it -

Thanks -

Edited by noknojon, 16 March 2012 - 05:27 PM.

#3 Guest_Xircal_*

Guest_Xircal_*

• Guests
  •  

Posted 17 March 2012 - 05:39 AM

I purchased and setup a wireless router that seems to be working. How do I now set up my home wireless network? How do I set up the password, etc? I know this is basic for you guys but DUH I have no idea what I am doing. Thanks to anyone who can help. Presently using Win7

See this article: How to setup a home network in Windows 7 You can save the page to your local machine by hitting CTRL+S if you use Firefox, or "Save Page As" if you use Internet Explorer.

#4 HBertholf52

HBertholf52

• Members
  • 1 posts
  •  

Posted 21 March 2012 - 09:05 AM

I found that the DLink box had a very useful Cd with lots of info

#5 hworta

hworta

• Members
  • 14 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:51 PM

Posted 23 March 2012 - 07:09 AM

For starters you want to set up WPA or WPA2 with a password. There are other more complicated ways to set up security but its not worth the pain. This is very dependent on the kind of device you have, Belkin, Lincsys, etc... They all configure differently. I would also change your password on a regular basis, once every 2 or 3 months.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users