Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

BROWSER HIJACKING

• Please log in to reply
2 replies to this topic

#1 kcsummer

kcsummer

• Banned
  • 434 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:34 AM

Posted 16 March 2012 - 12:52 PM

I have recently been experiencing some very annoying problems with my online time wherein I try to go to a frequently used site only to be told it cannot be found. "unable to locate" and also NGIX (I think 9.0 not sure) FILE NOT FOUND and similar messages. I finally found the culprit and they have gotten me before. ASK search engine somehow takes over my browser and it never goes well afterwards. Not sure HOW I ended up with this but probably when i downloaded something somewhere in the fine print I agreed to have them for my search engine. I try to watch out for that but sometimes when you're trying to download something then you have to type in the CAPTCHA stuff and if you get it wrong (those things are sometimes next to impossible to figure out or get right but that's another issue) then you have to go back and start over and I think that's the whole point that you have to keep completing the same info till you get careless and let something like ASK take over.

How are these people able to get away with this. Amost FUNNY but not - ASK is where you can go and ask any question to get an answer but when I ASKED how do I get rid of you they had no answer that worked. I sent them some FEEDBACK but never got an answer.

Eventually, through deleting this and that (sorry its been a couple days I forget exactly) and dumping temporary files and a few other things I managed to get rid of them but I figure its just a matter of time till they get me again and judging by browsing the web I'm not the only way plagued by these pestilent usurpers of my browser and thus my computer. THERE OUGHTA BE A LAW.

So my question is: IS THERE A WAY to PREVENT this problem in the first place? What am I doing wrong? It appears a lot of people use their ASK forums but I never will because I do not trust anyone who surreptiously intercepts my online browsing. BTW, when this first occurred (went on for almost a week) I remembered a similar problem and I thought I verified who my search engine was but I guess my means of verifying didn't hold water.

Anyway they are once again gone but I REALLY dislike these people and want to stop this from happening again. I've tried setting my computer options to things like ADVISE me when ATTEMPTS TO REDIRECT or whatever are made and some other ones and they always seem to end up asking me way too often so I finally change the setting.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Guest_Xircal_*

Guest_Xircal_*

• Guests
  •  

Posted 16 March 2012 - 01:10 PM

I have recently been experiencing some very annoying problems with my online time wherein I try to go to a frequently used site only to be told it cannot be found. "unable to locate" and also NGIX (I think 9.0 not sure) FILE NOT FOUND and similar messages. I finally found the culprit and they have gotten me before. ASK search engine somehow takes over my browser and it never goes well afterwards. Not sure HOW I ended up with this but probably when i downloaded something somewhere in the fine print I agreed to have them for my search engine. I try to watch out for that but sometimes when you're trying to download something then you have to type in the CAPTCHA stuff and if you get it wrong (those things are sometimes next to impossible to figure out or get right but that's another issue) then you have to go back and start over and I think that's the whole point that you have to keep completing the same info till you get careless and let something like ASK take over.

How are these people able to get away with this. Amost FUNNY but not - ASK is where you can go and ask any question to get an answer but when I ASKED how do I get rid of you they had no answer that worked. I sent them some FEEDBACK but never got an answer.

Eventually, through deleting this and that (sorry its been a couple days I forget exactly) and dumping temporary files and a few other things I managed to get rid of them but I figure its just a matter of time till they get me again and judging by browsing the web I'm not the only way plagued by these pestilent usurpers of my browser and thus my computer. THERE OUGHTA BE A LAW.

So my question is: IS THERE A WAY to PREVENT this problem in the first place? What am I doing wrong? It appears a lot of people use their ASK forums but I never will because I do not trust anyone who surreptiously intercepts my online browsing. BTW, when this first occurred (went on for almost a week) I remembered a similar problem and I thought I verified who my search engine was but I guess my means of verifying didn't hold water.

Anyway they are once again gone but I REALLY dislike these people and want to stop this from happening again. I've tried setting my computer options to things like ADVISE me when ATTEMPTS TO REDIRECT or whatever are made and some other ones and they always seem to end up asking me way too often so I finally change the setting.

What you're doing wrong is you're not paying attention when you install a 'free' app. In the screenshot, you can see an example of how Ask.com can take over your homepage and redirect searches via its own site. If you don't remove the checkmark from where it says "Make Ask my default search provider", then yes, that's what's going to happen when you install the free Weatherbug utility.

If you're using Firefox as your browser, restart Firefox in Safe Mode as described in this article and then checkmark the box where it says "Restore default search engines" and then click "Make changes and restart".

To restore your homepage, go to the site you want to set it to and then, if you have the orange oblong Firefox button visible top left, hit ALT to toggle the text links on. Then go to Tools | Options | General. Make sure it says "Show my homepage" in the first dropdown menu and then click the button called "Use current pages". Click OK to complete the process. To turn the text links off again, hit ALT once more.

Edited by Xircal, 16 March 2012 - 01:11 PM.

#3 kcsummer

kcsummer
  • Topic Starter

• Banned
  • 434 posts
  •  

Posted 16 March 2012 - 01:17 PM

What you're doing wrong is you're not paying attention when you install a 'free' app. In the screenshot, you can see an example of how Ask.com can take over your homepage and redirect searches via its own site. If you don't remove the checkmark from where it says "Make Ask my default search provider", then yes, that's what's going to happen when you install the free Weatherbug utility.

If you're using Firefox as your browser, restart Firefox in Safe Mode as described in this article and then checkmark the box where it says "Restore default search engines" and then click "Make changes and restart".

To restore your homepage, go to the site you want to set it to and then, if you have the orange oblong Firefox button visible top left, hit ALT to toggle the text links on. Then go to Tools | Options | General. Make sure it says "Show my homepage" in the first dropdown menu and then click the button called "Use current pages". Click OK to complete the process. To turn the text links off again, hit ALT once more.

I disagree i am paying attention. See my post above wherein I state my suspicions about how I end up with this and that I do try to pay attention but that frequently whatever I'm trying to do, if there is the slightest problem whether it applies to a password being wrong or some issue that means I have to start over and sometimes several times that eventually it seems to escape me. It's not that I'm purposely careless.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users