Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

lost microsoft word feature Windows XP

• Please log in to reply
2 replies to this topic

#1 miriamdances

miriamdances

• Members
  • 14 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:26 PM

Posted 08 November 2004 - 03:36 AM

I have lost a Microsoft Word feature (Microsoft Office XP Professional with Front Page) from my computer and I do not have the relevant disc here to restore it. What is coming up is "Error 1706 - C:/Program Files/Microsoft Office/Office10/1033/SETUP.HLP".

I have done several things that might have caused this part of my program to become lost. I set up some limited user accounts. I also used Tweak XP Pro and removed what were listed as unnecessary files, having read that these could easily be restored from the Recycle Bin if necessary. I then... ouch, dumb.... unthinkingly emptied the Recycle Bin.

I have tried System Restore on XP. I did a Registry Restore on Advanced Installer Pro (which was the program with which I emptied the Recycle Bin). I also removed Tweak XP Pro, which was supposed to restore the system to the same state it was in before the installation. None of these have worked. I really need to get back whatever is lost, preferably without having to access the relevant disc which I do not have with me.

I am using a laptop with Windows XP SP2. Would a program like File-Saver get back this feature? What else can I do? I need a simple solution!

I would sure appreciate help if you know the solution to this issue.

Regards, Cheryl :thumbsup:

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 River_Rat

River_Rat

• Members
  • 773 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:26 PM

Posted 08 November 2004 - 10:04 AM

Hello Cheryl & Welcome to the forums.
I am afraid you will need to do a repair install of MS Office.
In order to do this you will need the install CD.
Go to Add & Remove Programs and click on MS Office then click Remove and you will see the option to Repair, you will be instructed to put the CD in the Rom Drive.

This is the only option I can see, maybe someone will have a better way, without the need for the CD and will chime in.

I also used Tweak XP Pro and removed what were listed as unnecessary files, having read that these could easily be restored from the Recycle Bin if necessary. I then... ouch, dumb.... unthinkingly emptied the Recycle Bin.

I am not sure how important these files were that you deleted and don't know if this will help.
http://winsupportcenter.com/a/recover.htm

#3 Bluie

Bluie

• Members
  • 160 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:26 AM

Posted 08 November 2004 - 02:00 PM

Or you could switch to Click here for OpenOffice.org which is so much better than Word. And works fine under XP.

Edit: Forgot to say it is FREE!!

Edited by Bluie, 08 November 2004 - 02:01 PM.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users