Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Computer won't boot up inside case, but wil outside

• Please log in to reply
8 replies to this topic

#1 GSandra32

GSandra32

• Members
  • 2 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:59 AM

Posted 16 March 2012 - 10:44 AM

So I bought all the parts to build a new computer.
Slapped the bad boy together, tried to turn it on, NOTHING.
No lights, no fans, no noise.

Troubleshooted for awhile, Figured out that maybe it was the power switch on the new case. So I decided to put it into another case. It booted up just fine, ran it all night. No problems what so ever.

So I really want to use this new case. And thought that maybe I would try the reset switch plug in on the power plug in on the motherboard that's in the OLD case. Boots up just fine. So I think to myself ok great, so I'll just use the reset button as the power button no big deal.
Ummm..no, didn't work out that way.

So I plug everything back into the NEW case, use the reset switch plug on the power pins on the motherboard. NOPE. Same thing as before, won't boot up at all, no fans no lights nothing.

So at this point I'm pretty steamed :) So I pull everything out of the new case, and put it on a piece of cardboard, plug everything in the way it's suppose to be. Only thing I have are the ram, cpu/heatsink in the unit.
IT TURNS ON!!!!!

So everything runs fine placed into a different case, runs fine outside of the case, but will not run in the case. The only thing I can think of is something inside the case is shorting it out.

What could be causing this?

Thanks for any help.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 the_patriot11

the_patriot11

High Tech Redneck

• BC Advisor
  • 6,763 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:59 AM

Posted 16 March 2012 - 01:28 PM

try taking the power button out of the old case and into the new one (the internal button) it may just be a bad switch.

picard5.jpg

Primary system: Motherboard: ASUS M4A89GTD PRO/USB3, Processor: AMD Phenom II x4 945, Memory: 16 gigs of Patriot G2 DDR3 1600, Video: AMD Sapphire Nitro R9 380, Storage: 1 WD 500 gig HD, 1 Hitachi 500 gig HD, and Power supply: Coolermaster 750 watt, OS: Windows 10 64 bit. 

Media Center: Motherboard: Gigabyte mp61p-S3, Processor: AMD Athlon 64 x2 6000+, Memory: 6 gigs Patriot DDR2 800, Video: Gigabyte GeForce GT730, Storage: 500 gig Hitachi, PSU: Seasonic M1211 620W full modular, OS: Windows 10.

If I don't reply within 24 hours of your reply, feel free to send me a pm.

#3 rotor123

rotor123

• 8,093 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:59 AM

Posted 17 March 2012 - 04:49 PM

Hi,

I know this sounds obvious but.......

Make sure the brass standoffs between the motherboard and the case are only screwed into the case where they line up with the holes in the motherboard as to not cause any shorts against the bottom of the motherboard.

Same power supply when it works and when it doesn't?
Nothing added or different when it is in the case from when it is one the table and working?

One thing I'm sure of it will be something simple.

Good Luck
Roger

Fortune Cookie says: Fortune not Found: Abort, Retry, Ignore?

Sent from my All-In-One Desktop. Perfect for Internet, Not for heavy usage or gaming however.

How Does a computer get Infected? http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/t/2520/how-did-i-get-infected/
Forum Rules,    The BC Welcome Guide

167 @ June 2015

#4 EricBart

EricBart

• Members
  • 1 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:59 AM

Posted 20 June 2012 - 01:04 AM

1. Test the AC Input Voltage to the power supply using a meter
2. Test the DC power output from the power supply using a meter
3. Whilst mother board is out side the case flex the mother board to see if it will still boot whilst flexed.
4. If all correct
5. Place the mother board in the case but not fixed i.e. free floating and insulated from everything
6. Connect up the mother board
7. Test the mother board Voltages using a meter.
8. Will it boot? => Check the mother board for cracks
9. If it boots
10. Apply one attaching screw/device at a time testing to see if it boots after each attachment is made.
11. If after applying a connector and boot fails examine the board and connector to see what is damaged/shorted

Problem is either 1. power supply voltage, 2. Cracked Mother Board 3. Short when screwing/attaching mother board to case.
If mother board is cracked just plugging a cable in whilst holding the board in it's case will open up the crack.

Moderator edit: This topic is three months old.

Edited by rotor123, 20 June 2012 - 05:39 PM.

#5 DJBPace07

DJBPace07

• BC Advisor
  • 4,869 posts
  •  

Posted 20 June 2012 - 04:10 PM

Two obvious causes, something is shorting the board or the power switch isn't working. Standoffs that aren't all there or properly seated could cause this.

3939.png

#6 Slick_QC

Slick_QC

• Members
  • 1 posts
  •  

Posted 23 May 2013 - 09:15 AM

Old topic, but it came up high in my Google search yesterday.  So I though this would be helpful. 

I had the same problem, computer would boot then 4 seconds later shutdown. But outside case with nothing plugged but PSU, and memory sticks runs normally. 

I discover by chance my problem: the Power on switch partially faulted in the on position.!! :rip:

Never saw it during my search on the web, so I just want to help the next victim.

An easy test : unplug the power on switch, short the 2 pin on the motherboard to start the computer. 

Using the reset switch for the time being, until the new switch arrives.

3 years old case, Gigabyte 770t-usb3  AM3 motheboard.

#7 Wizrd

Wizrd

• Members
  • 1 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:59 AM

Posted 31 May 2015 - 11:59 AM

Hi,

Make sure the brass standoffs between the motherboard and the case are only screwed into the case where they line up with the holes in the motherboard as to not cause any shorts against the bottom of the motherboard.

Nothing added or different when it is in the case from when it is one the table and working?

Good Luck
Roger

Thank you so much! I even sighed up here only to give you a big thank you! <3

I was struggling with this problem for a few days and the solution was that simple!

My new case has 11 brass stand-offs and holes for them. But my motherboard has only 10. So 1 was excessive and it caused short i think, which prevented pc from booting.

Hope this might help someone else after me ;)

#8 rotor123

rotor123

• 8,093 posts
  •  

Posted 31 May 2015 - 12:39 PM

Hi,

Good Luck
Roger

Thank you so much! I even sighed up here only to give you a big thank you! <3

I was struggling with this problem for a few days and the solution was that simple!

My new case has 11 brass stand-offs and holes for them. But my motherboard has only 10. So 1 was excessive and it caused short i think, which prevented pc from booting.

Hope this might help someone else after me ;)

Hi

Thank You for the feedback, It may help someone else.

Much Appreciated

Roger

Fortune Cookie says: Fortune not Found: Abort, Retry, Ignore?

Sent from my All-In-One Desktop. Perfect for Internet, Not for heavy usage or gaming however.

How Does a computer get Infected? http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/t/2520/how-did-i-get-infected/
Forum Rules,    The BC Welcome Guide

167 @ June 2015

#9 mjd420nova

mjd420nova

• Members
  • 1,799 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:59 AM

Posted 31 May 2015 - 03:13 PM

Many of my clients have been up against that same wall.  I use nylon standoffs and screws to hold the board and only use a copper strap to ground where its needed.  This is not uncommon.  Close inspection of the users/installation manual might lead to which points need grounding.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users