Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Mozilla will start Firefox silent updates in June

• Please log in to reply
13 replies to this topic

#1 Allan

Allan

• BC Advisor
  • 8,614 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:22 PM

Posted 16 March 2012 - 07:09 AM

Mozilla yesterday reiterated that it's still working on silent updates for Firefox, and said it should have the Chrome-like service in place by early June. In a sweeping summary of 2011's accomplishments and an outline of plans for 2012, Robert Nyman, a Mozilla technical evangelist, listed silent updates as one the projects the company will finish this year. "Updates will now be downloaded and installed silently in the background," wrote Nyman in a Wednesday post to the Hacks Mozilla blog. "Silent updates are currently planned to land in Firefox 13."

Mozilla unloads a Firefox upgrade every six weeks -- it launched Firefox 11 just two days ago -- and has Firefox 13's release on the calendar for June 5, 2012.

Full story at Computerworld here: http://www.computerworld.com/s/article/9225235/Mozilla_will_start_Firefox_silent_updates_in_June

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Broni

Broni

The Coolest BC Computer

• BC Advisor
  • 42,716 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:22 AM

Posted 16 March 2012 - 04:00 PM

Personally I don't like this idea.
I don't like when something is done to my computer without my knowledge no matter how legit it is.
I hope there will be some option to turn the "feature" off.

My Website

p4433470.gif

My help doesn't cost a penny, but if you'd like to consider a donation, click p22001735.gif

#3 the_patriot11

the_patriot11

High Tech Redneck

• BC Advisor
  • 6,763 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:22 AM

Posted 16 March 2012 - 10:05 PM

I dont particularly like it either, and another problem with it is while most people are on broad band and wont notice it, there are still those with slower internet and that will suck up extra bandwidth and might really mess with their time on the internet.

picard5.jpg

Primary system: Motherboard: ASUS M4A89GTD PRO/USB3, Processor: AMD Phenom II x4 945, Memory: 16 gigs of Patriot G2 DDR3 1600, Video: AMD Sapphire Nitro R9 380, Storage: 1 WD 500 gig HD, 1 Hitachi 500 gig HD, and Power supply: Coolermaster 750 watt, OS: Windows 10 64 bit. 

Media Center: Motherboard: Gigabyte mp61p-S3, Processor: AMD Athlon 64 x2 6000+, Memory: 6 gigs Patriot DDR2 800, Video: Gigabyte GeForce GT730, Storage: 500 gig Hitachi, PSU: Seasonic M1211 620W full modular, OS: Windows 10.

If I don't reply within 24 hours of your reply, feel free to send me a pm.

#4 James Litten

James Litten

Ԁǝǝ˥q

• BC Advisor
  • 1,946 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:22 PM

Posted 16 March 2012 - 10:06 PM

I can already hear my favorite add-ons breaking in the dark of night :)

James

#5 Winterland

Winterland

• Members
  • 995 posts
  •  

Posted 17 March 2012 - 06:41 AM

I'm with Broni 100% on this one.

Just don't like any app on my machine that does something without me knowing.

Perhaps this is one more reason I'm surfing and typing this post with Opera - exploring my other options.

Allan, thanks for the news / update.

Onward,

Winterland

Photobucket removed my cool flag - idiots!

Every calculation based on experience elsewhere fails in New Mexico.

#6 Allan

Allan
  • Topic Starter

• BC Advisor
  • 8,614 posts
  •  

Posted 17 March 2012 - 06:54 AM

I have to believe there'll be an option (or an extension) to defeat the silent update.

#7 Sani-T-Capt1

Sani-T-Capt1

• Members
  • 559 posts
  •  

Posted 17 March 2012 - 08:25 AM

I Just received a notification to install an update from FF 10 to FF 11 so will this bypass my security? My software warns me when changes are being made to all of the programs on my systems so will Mozilla be able to bypass that? If so what is the point in having security?
Either We Learn to Live Together as People, Or Die Apart as Fools !

Ignorance ISN'T Bliss, It's Just "IGNORANCE"!!

#8 Allen

Allen

• Members
  • 337 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:22 PM

Posted 17 March 2012 - 05:50 PM

From what I know with windows vista when firefox applies an update it will ask me if I want to allow the updater program to run using the UAC dialog. Update after reading threw some of the comments on the article I discovered this

Silent updates without a UAC prompt by using a service will land in Firefox 12 around 2012-04-24.

so if Mozilla's servers get hacked the hacker can distribute malware.

Edited by firemaster1337, 17 March 2012 - 05:57 PM.

Hey everyone I'm Allen I am a young web developer/designer/programmer I also help people with computer issues including hardware problems, malware/viruses infections and software conflicts. I am a kind and easy to get along with person so if you need help feel free to ask.

#9 Winterland

Winterland

• Members
  • 995 posts
  •  

Posted 18 March 2012 - 07:36 AM

*yikes*

Is that true?

Why! Why would they do this?

Thanks to everyone for shedding some light on this.

Arghh....

Winterland

Photobucket removed my cool flag - idiots!

Every calculation based on experience elsewhere fails in New Mexico.

#10 Allan

Allan
  • Topic Starter

• BC Advisor
  • 8,614 posts
  •  

Posted 18 March 2012 - 02:30 PM

*yikes*

Is that true?

Yes.. and if the sun burns out we'll all die of frostbite. I really wouldn't spend a lot of time worrying about conspiracy theorists.

#11 jgweed

jgweed

• Members
  • 28,473 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:22 PM

Posted 19 March 2012 - 06:11 AM

While I agree that I don't want anything installed on MY computer with MY consent, one can see the other side of the problem as well. With more frequent updates, it becomes extremely difficult for the Mozilla folks to support "legacy" versions of the browser. And, while many of us are happy to see a new version notification and then to download it right away, I think we are not in the majority. So, I guess it boils down to whether you trust Mozilla or not, and that organisation is one of the few I do.
Whereof one cannot speak, thereof one should be silent.

#12 cafejose

cafejose

• Members
  • 1,021 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:22 AM

Posted 26 March 2012 - 12:19 PM

The forced silent update is the reason I uninstalled Google Chrome, a few weeks ago. Having Chrome and its update method regularly slowed my old, slow computer to become unusable for several minutes at a time. There was no way to turn this feature off. When Mozilla starts this same feature in June, I will uninstall Mozilla Firefox. There ARE other options.

#13 the_patriot11

the_patriot11

High Tech Redneck

• BC Advisor
  • 6,763 posts
  •  

Posted 26 March 2012 - 11:17 PM

*yikes*

Is that true?

Yes.. and if the sun burns out we'll all die of frostbite. I really wouldn't spend a lot of time worrying about conspiracy theorists.

but conspiracy theories are sooooo much fun :D

picard5.jpg

Primary system: Motherboard: ASUS M4A89GTD PRO/USB3, Processor: AMD Phenom II x4 945, Memory: 16 gigs of Patriot G2 DDR3 1600, Video: AMD Sapphire Nitro R9 380, Storage: 1 WD 500 gig HD, 1 Hitachi 500 gig HD, and Power supply: Coolermaster 750 watt, OS: Windows 10 64 bit. 

Media Center: Motherboard: Gigabyte mp61p-S3, Processor: AMD Athlon 64 x2 6000+, Memory: 6 gigs Patriot DDR2 800, Video: Gigabyte GeForce GT730, Storage: 500 gig Hitachi, PSU: Seasonic M1211 620W full modular, OS: Windows 10.

If I don't reply within 24 hours of your reply, feel free to send me a pm.

#14 Allen

Allen

• Members
  • 337 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:22 PM

Posted 24 April 2012 - 05:33 PM

Well they released it
Hey everyone I'm Allen I am a young web developer/designer/programmer I also help people with computer issues including hardware problems, malware/viruses infections and software conflicts. I am a kind and easy to get along with person so if you need help feel free to ask.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users