Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Re: Expert Help Here

• This topic is locked This topic is locked
8 replies to this topic

#1 Guest_desertjon_*

Guest_desertjon_*

• Guests
  •  

Posted 16 March 2012 - 06:34 AM

Today I witnesed a rude response to a new member which I thought was out of line and I messaged the party involved..We come here for help..and 99% of the time we get the help we seek from many experts in their field..and if we choose to ignore that help..thats our problem..but when a responder tells someone they're foolish to ignore advice given them..in my opinion..is out of line..and unprofessional..along with being intimidating..Let's all try to get along..:)

Edited by desertjon, 16 March 2012 - 06:37 AM.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 frankp316

frankp316

• Members
  • 2,677 posts
  •  

Posted 16 March 2012 - 07:07 AM

Just to let everyone know, I told him to take a hike and not to PM me again. The bottom line is you can't be nice to some people. If you want to ignore sound advice from the BC experts like Quietman, do it elsewhere. I'm not a computer expert but I am an expert in common sense. And I have been around here long enough to know that no one here will help you be foolish.

#3 Elise

Elise

Bleepin' Blonde

• Malware Study Hall Admin
  • 61,446 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:55 AM

Posted 16 March 2012 - 08:15 AM

Whether or not someone wants to follow the advice given by experts is a personal choice. However no matter what we should all be respectful towards one another. If you notice an instance where you consider this is not the case, then the best course of action is to report the post (by using the Report button in the left bottom corner of the post) so the BC staff is informed and can undertake action if necessary.

See also BCs board rules:

There will be no posts meant to offend or hurt any other member, in a manner which is offensive or inflammatory. This includes flaming or instigating arguments.

Rude behavior, no matter what the cause is, will not be tolerated and, when repeated, may lead to suspension of posting privileges.

regards, Elise

"Now faith is the substance of things hoped for, the evidence of things not seen."

Follow BleepingComputer on: Facebook | Twitter | Google+ | lockerdome

Malware analyst @ Emsisoft

animinionsmalltext.gif

#4 frankp316

frankp316

• Members
  • 2,677 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:55 PM

Posted 16 March 2012 - 12:14 PM

I was not rude to him. I told him the truth that he was being foolish by ignoring Quietman's expert help. He wants help to do the wrong thing and that won't happen here. Maybe there should be a BC policy that someone who wants to foolishly cause destruction to his or her own computer will be refused. You already have a policy regarding piracy. Maybe you need an official policy for this kind of nonsense too. I shouldn't have to tell him he's wrong. BC should do that. Some people don't really want help and this guy is a good example of that. I already know that no one here will help him do the wrong thing. The problem is he won't accept that. He continues to ask for help doing the wrong thing. Do you want to keep going around in circles with this guy? He wasn't getting the message. What do you want to do about it? That's why you need an official policy refusing help in this kind of situation. You respond with that official policy and close the thread. And that's the end of it.

#5 Elise

Elise

Bleepin' Blonde

• 61,446 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:55 AM

Posted 16 March 2012 - 01:30 PM

If I have an objection to something a user tries to do on their computer, I take the time to explain that. As there is a dedicated topic already for the particular matter you are referring to, I will not go into details. Lets just put it like this; if I think someone should follow the advice I (or someone else on this site) give, I try to explain why. It is then up to the person if they follow that advice or not.

As long as the one the advice is directed to adheres to the board rules (keeps a civilized tone) and the subject is not something illegal or otherwise inappropriate (and while opting to use a computer without realtime AV protection might be imprudent it is in no way illegal), it is up to the one asking for help what they do with the information they receive.

It is not your nor my place to decide what someone does with their own computer, we can only inform them. For that reason there is no such mention in our board rules either.

I shouldn't have to tell him he's wrong. BC should do that.

This was done, but we do this in a polite way.

It doesn't matter whether you are right or not about what you think the user in that topic should do, it is about the tone of the message. Once again, if you see a post that you think needs staff attention, report it. If you receive a PM or are addressed in a post in a way you think is inappropriate, report it. Do not take things in your own hands and start "resolving matters". That is not the way things work here and will ultimately only cause confusion and hard feelings, something nobody is served by.

regards, Elise

"Now faith is the substance of things hoped for, the evidence of things not seen."

animinionsmalltext.gif

#6 Guest_desertjon_*

Guest_desertjon_*

• Guests
  •  

Posted 16 March 2012 - 02:17 PM

Now after this incident..I returned to the forum and getting error messages telling me Im not allowed to use the private messing and not allowed to view a topic I asked help on in a new post..Why am I being blocked?

#7 Elise

Elise

Bleepin' Blonde

• 61,446 posts
  •  

Posted 16 March 2012 - 02:18 PM

I replied to your other topic.

regards, Elise

animinionsmalltext.gif

#8 frankp316

frankp316

• Members
  • 2,677 posts
  •  

Posted 16 March 2012 - 06:13 PM

If I have an objection to something a user tries to do on their computer, I take the time to explain that. As there is a dedicated topic already for the particular matter you are referring to, I will not go into details. Lets just put it like this; if I think someone should follow the advice I (or someone else on this site) give, I try to explain why. It is then up to the person if they follow that advice or not.

As long as the one the advice is directed to adheres to the board rules (keeps a civilized tone) and the subject is not something illegal or otherwise inappropriate (and while opting to use a computer without realtime AV protection might be imprudent it is in no way illegal), it is up to the one asking for help what they do with the information they receive.

It is not your nor my place to decide what someone does with their own computer, we can only inform them. For that reason there is no such mention in our board rules either.

I shouldn't have to tell him he's wrong. BC should do that.

This was done, but we do this in a polite way.

It doesn't matter whether you are right or not about what you think the user in that topic should do, it is about the tone of the message. Once again, if you see a post that you think needs staff attention, report it. If you receive a PM or are addressed in a post in a way you think is inappropriate, report it. Do not take things in your own hands and start "resolving matters". That is not the way things work here and will ultimately only cause confusion and hard feelings, something nobody is served by.

Trying to be polite to him didn't work. He stupidly ignored Quietman and something needed to be done. And it needs to be done by you guys. But you don't. I don't see how reporting it would have done any good. He needed to be told off and sometimes that's the only thing some people understand. Look, I could have said a lot worse because honestly, that's what was deserved. And like my tone or not, it was necessary. Because you guys weren't gonna do it. He needed to be told that no one would help him. It's very unusual because most people are reasonable and when told what they are trying to do isn't a good idea, they go along with it. This guy was not being reasonable. How do you want to deal with unreasonable people? I'm not convinced you want to deal with it. Sometimes politeness is ineffective with idiots.

#9 Elise

Elise

Bleepin' Blonde

• 61,446 posts
  •  

Posted 17 March 2012 - 02:33 AM

Trying to be polite to him didn't work. He stupidly ignored Quietman and something needed to be done.

Whatever that "something" is, is not you calling any user to order. Its as simple as that.

I can assure you I have quite some experience dealing with unreasonable users and my methods work usually pretty well. I also want to point out that you are behaving a lot more unreasonable at the moment and are refusing the advice you are given here at this forum, just the same as the person you originally accused of doing this.

How do you want to deal with unreasonable people? I'm not convinced you want to deal with it. Sometimes politeness is ineffective with idiots.

Then maybe you should look for a place where the forum atmosphere is not valued as much as it is here, because this is the way we choose to do it, and I can assure you it is something that is very much appreciated by the majority of our members.

As I really see no point in continuing this discussion, because everything of importance has already been said, I am closing this topic.

regards, Elise

animinionsmalltext.gif

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users