Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Network data meter

• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 lakefever

lakefever

• Members
  • 17 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:25 AM

Posted 15 March 2012 - 11:13 PM

We have a home network with 2 to 3 computers connected, 3 DVR's, and noramlly 2 to 3 phones and 2 to 3 tablets. Usually two computers and 2 phones are always connected. We have unlimited usage but our speed is only 1 mps. I want to get something faster, but we live in rural area and wildblue has the fastest service available. The problem is they throttle back to 128k after 25 gb of data is used. I suspect we use less than that currently, but if we had a better speed we would be using a lot more. (we have given up on streaming movies). I was wanting to monitor our data usage for a month or two and see what we are actually using to get an idea of what we will need. I have found programs that will monitor data use from a single computer, but I need to know total network use. I would really like some ideas and suggestions. I have ran out.
We are on a wireless service from our ISP. This signal is fed from a radio by wire to our router which is wireless with 8 wired ports. This feeds a second router in a seperate building. Everything comes back to the first router by wire or wirelessly. The first router has 2 desktops, printer, security camera system, and a second router wired into it. It has two cell phones, two tablets, and a DVR connected wirelessly. The second router has a DVR, desktop, and cell phone connected to it. I really need some help.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Guest_Xircal_*

Guest_Xircal_*

• Guests
  •  

Posted 16 March 2012 - 06:54 AM

We have a home network with 2 to 3 computers connected, 3 DVR's, and noramlly 2 to 3 phones and 2 to 3 tablets. Usually two computers and 2 phones are always connected. We have unlimited usage but our speed is only 1 mps. I want to get something faster, but we live in rural area and wildblue has the fastest service available. The problem is they throttle back to 128k after 25 gb of data is used. I suspect we use less than that currently, but if we had a better speed we would be using a lot more. (we have given up on streaming movies). I was wanting to monitor our data usage for a month or two and see what we are actually using to get an idea of what we will need. I have found programs that will monitor data use from a single computer, but I need to know total network use. I would really like some ideas and suggestions. I have ran out.
We are on a wireless service from our ISP. This signal is fed from a radio by wire to our router which is wireless with 8 wired ports. This feeds a second router in a seperate building. Everything comes back to the first router by wire or wirelessly. The first router has 2 desktops, printer, security camera system, and a second router wired into it. It has two cell phones, two tablets, and a DVR connected wirelessly. The second router has a DVR, desktop, and cell phone connected to it. I really need some help.

Google is your friend

#3 lakefever

lakefever
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 17 posts
  •  

Posted 16 March 2012 - 08:19 AM

I have found programs that will monitor data use from a single computer, but I need to know total network use.

Did I miss something? There are a lot of programs on Google, but when I read a little deeper it seems the monitoting is only from the computer it is installed on. I need total network metering.

#4 Guest_Xircal_*

Guest_Xircal_*

• Guests
  •  

Posted 16 March 2012 - 12:36 PM

I have found programs that will monitor data use from a single computer, but I need to know total network use.

Did I miss something? There are a lot of programs on Google, but when I read a little deeper it seems the monitoting is only from the computer it is installed on. I need total network metering.

You need a new shovel then... Router bandwidth monitor

#5 lakefever

lakefever
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 17 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:25 AM

Posted 17 March 2012 - 05:22 PM

Thank you Xircal for the link and the help. Besides plugging in the cable or setting up wirless connections, this is something I havent dealt with. It will be interesting to learn something new. It will be 2 to 3 more weeks before I can work on this so I will try to update later.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users