Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

laptop power source connection problem

• Please log in to reply
2 replies to this topic

#1 Barefoot2

Barefoot2

• Members
  • 34 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:14 AM

Posted 15 March 2012 - 08:36 PM

I am having a problem with my connection for my power source. I had been using my laptop in the student lounge with it plugged in to the wall. Someone walked by, and caught the cord, pulling it off my lap, landing on the floor. There didn't seem to be anything wrong with it, so I didn't make an issue of it. Later I noticed that the ceramic or glazed(?) end of the plug (the yellow "coating") was chipped. It wasn't as tight while charging and over about 6 months, it just seemed to get a little more loose. Now, I can hardly get the connection to engage while completely plugged in and sitting on a flat stable surface. The laptop is not very new anymore, and I hate to spend too much money on it for repair, so I am seeking opinions.
I am not sure if the problem might be the cord, or the where it plugs into the computer. I know that it is not easy to make a guess, having not seen or touched it, but if anyone has any opinions, I would appreciate it. I don't even know if this could be something that would have developed anyway, since it is my first laptop. (For reference purposes, it is a Gateway M151x.)

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 rotor123

rotor123

• 8,093 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:14 PM

Posted 16 March 2012 - 05:15 PM

Is there a electronics lab in the school where you could have them measure the voltage at the AC Adapter plug where it plugs into the computer?

Or do you have access to a voltmeter?

The proper output voltage will be marked on the ac adapter body. Typical would be for example 19 volts at 4740Ma.
You just need to measure the voltage.
If you get 19 volts as you move the wire around, then I hate to say the problem is inside the laptop.
If the voltage comes and goes as you move the wire then the AC adapter is bad which does not mean it couldn't be both in a worst case scenario./

Locally in NJ where I am it is around $150 for a DC Jack repair if the problem is internal

Fortune Cookie says: Fortune not Found: Abort, Retry, Ignore?

Sent from my All-In-One Desktop. Perfect for Internet, Not for heavy usage or gaming however.

How Does a computer get Infected? http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/t/2520/how-did-i-get-infected/
Forum Rules,    The BC Welcome Guide

167 @ June 2015

#3 Barefoot2

Barefoot2
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 34 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:14 AM

Posted 18 March 2012 - 09:20 PM

Thanks for the suggestion. I found out there is a program for networking and repair, so I am going to see if someone can look at the connection for me.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users