Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

winxp

• Please log in to reply
49 replies to this topic

#1 LOVEMYPC

LOVEMYPC

• Members
  • 661 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:29 AM

Posted 15 March 2012 - 06:40 PM

HI,I am not sure if this the right forum,but i have been having problems my PC.
Right now if i turn it on all it doe's is power up fan,silly little light indicating it is on,
DVD light flashes. But PC will not connect to HDTV which it did before blank screen.
I think my HDD is toast,but we can hold out for good luck.
Is there a way to use a good PC to bring it back to life,THANK'S

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 hamluis

hamluis

• 55,734 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:29 AM

Posted 16 March 2012 - 09:06 AM

If...you suspect a failing hard drive, it seems to me that the first step would be attach it to another system as a secondary drive...and attempt to salvage any desired data files.

Next step would be to run the appropriate hard drive diagnostic...and determine the functional status of the drive.

Free Hard Drive Testing Tools - Hard Drive Diagnostics - http://pcsupport.about.com/od/toolsofthetrade/tp/tophddiag.htm

Louis

#3 rotor123

rotor123

• 8,093 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:29 AM

Posted 16 March 2012 - 05:42 PM

Have you tried hooking it up to a regular monitor to see if you get any display at all?

If no display at all then I wouldn't suspect the hard drive as my first guess.

Fortune Cookie says: Fortune not Found: Abort, Retry, Ignore?

Sent from my All-In-One Desktop. Perfect for Internet, Not for heavy usage or gaming however.

How Does a computer get Infected? http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/t/2520/how-did-i-get-infected/
Forum Rules,    The BC Welcome Guide

167 @ June 2015

#4 LOVEMYPC

LOVEMYPC
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 661 posts
  •  

Posted 18 March 2012 - 04:16 PM

HI,hamluis,I looked for how to add HDD to another PC and run as slave,but did not find in TUTORIALS.
Is there a procedure on how to do as i will be using the PC that i am on right now and yes i hooked
the PC to the PC i am using right now same thing happened no pictureTHANK'S

#5 Ken-B

Ken-B

• Members
  • 66 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:29 AM

Posted 18 March 2012 - 06:02 PM

Hi

If the problem pc is a desktop you have a 3.5 inch hard drive.
If it is a laptop top have a 2.5 inch drive.

The drive could be SATA or PATA ( IDE )

This link will explain which is which:
http://www.kenspchelp.co.uk/viewtopic.php?f=9&t=76

I suggest getting an external enclosure ( caddy ) put the drive in this and connect to a USB port of a working pc.

http://www.amazon.co.uk/tag/hard%20drive%20enclosure/products

You can then try to access the drive and recover any data that you need.

From here you can run chkdsk /r /f to check and attempt to repair the integrity of the drive
[ this will take a long time - depends on the size of the drive ]

You can also run the drive manufacturers diagnostic software too.

If it does show in "Computer" I suggest you right click on it and run MalwareBytes and your AntiVirus on it before you open anything.

==========================

This could be a PSU / motherboard / Video Card / RAM etc problem too.

Check the drive first.
If it shows up in "Computer" it is probably OK ( no guarantee ) but I am surprised that you are getting nothing on screen.

If the HDD is dead you would at least get an Error Message.

If the drive checks out OK take a look at this sequence:
http://www.kenspchelp.co.uk/viewtopic.php?f=36&t=246

Edited by Ken-B, 18 March 2012 - 06:12 PM.

#6 LOVEMYPC

LOVEMYPC
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 661 posts
  •  

Posted 18 March 2012 - 07:14 PM

HI,Thank's for the info. If i understand this right i will not have to set PC up top run two HDD'S.
The usb connection would be a lot simpler,thank's

#7 LOVEMYPC

LOVEMYPC
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 661 posts
  •  

Posted 19 March 2012 - 12:31 AM

Well i went back into some of past posts and remembered there was a post about taking and reinstalling parts inside PC
Now i have picture but can not hook up to internet,but icons now are in order and colors are back,no noise out of HDD.
I have external HDD that i hooked up to confused PC,but it did not show up on screen,it is a WD500GB HDD and is supposed to make 3 partitions,somewhere i am missing something but do not have a clue what that is right now and it is
something simple & stupid,THANK'S

#8 Ken-B

Ken-B

• Members
  • 66 posts
  •  

Posted 19 March 2012 - 07:49 PM

Hi

I am a little confused.

Have you managed to boot up the "problem" machine ?
You have no internet connection on the "problem" machine ......is this correct ?

external HDD that i hooked up to confused PC,but it did not show up on screen

I don't understand why you would need to do this ..............if you click on "Computer" it should show there
Does it ?

I suggest that you try to fix the problems with the original machine first - then address the extra external ones :)

#9 LOVEMYPC

LOVEMYPC
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 661 posts
  •  

Posted 20 March 2012 - 12:35 AM

The reason i tried to connect the external HDD was to see if PC would even reconize it.
I have had the start area come once in a while but still what gets highlighted PC will not go there.
The PC i am on right now has none of these problems same internet connection.
There appears to be a disconnect at the desk top area.
If i could get the external HDD to connect i could download what is HDD,then pitch internal HDD and replace it with
a new&bigger one,the only thing that bothers me is if i could off load whats on internal HDD is there some virus or
malware that may come with it,THANK'S

#10 Ken-B

Ken-B

• Members
  • 66 posts
  •  

Posted 20 March 2012 - 04:48 AM

If i could get the external HDD to connect i could download what is HDD,then pitch internal HDD and replace it

I think you are going about this the wrong way.

You need to take the problem drive out of the case > attach it to the good computer using an adapter or enclosure
You should then be able to access your files and data and copy them to the hard drive of the good computer or a DVD.

#11 caperjac

caperjac

• Members
  • 1,649 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:29 AM

Posted 20 March 2012 - 05:47 AM

The reason i tried to connect the external HDD was to see if PC would even reconize it.
I have had the start area come once in a while but still what gets highlighted PC will not go there.
The PC i am on right now has none of these problems same internet connection.
There appears to be a disconnect at the desk top area.
If i could get the external HDD to connect i could download what is HDD,then pitch internal HDD and replace it with
a new&bigger one,the only thing that bothers me is if i could off load whats on internal HDD is there some virus or
malware that may come with it,THANK'S

Windows need to be working on the troubled computer for you to be able to do what you say you are trying to do ,file transfer is done from within Windows .

you need to remove the harddrive from troubled computer ,connect it to good computer ,scan for viruses ,then remove the much needed files

Edited by caperjac, 20 March 2012 - 05:48 AM.

My answers are my opinion only,usually

#12 LOVEMYPC

LOVEMYPC
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 661 posts
  •  

Posted 20 March 2012 - 03:25 PM

HI,caperjac, If i understand you right i can take the HDD out of bad machine and put into the PC i am using right
now and it should power back in this PC,Then run it to see where the problem exists,when i take power from the HDD
will i lose any data on that HDD,THANK'S

#13 caperjac

caperjac

• Members
  • 1,649 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:29 AM

Posted 20 March 2012 - 04:22 PM

HI,caperjac, If i understand you right i can take the HDD out of bad machine and put into the PC i am using right
now and it should power back in this PC,Then run it to see where the problem exists,when i take power from the HDD
will i lose any data on that HDD,THANK'S

it seems to me that your knowledge of computer may not be what is needed to do this ,and will suggest you get someone who has the knowledge to do it for you ,correct me if I'm wrong .
not saying you will be able to see where the problem exists ,but you will be able to run virus scan on it and if you want to copy you important data to the hard drive on the working computer you can do that also ,.lots of videos on how to do this on the internet .remember that it will matter if the drive is SATA or Pata , sata you don't need to set the drive jumpers and Pata you have to set jumpers to slave .
http://www.google.ca/search?q=hook+hard+drive+as+a+slave+&ie=utf-8&oe=utf-8&aq=t&rls=org.mozilla:en-US:official&client=firefox-ayou

Edited by caperjac, 20 March 2012 - 04:27 PM.

My answers are my opinion only,usually

#14 Ken-B

Ken-B

• Members
  • 66 posts
  •  

Posted 21 March 2012 - 04:47 AM

Hi

What you have to do is relatively simple.

1. Take the drive out of the machine.
There will probably be 4 small screws holding it in ( 2 each side )

2. Identify what type of drive it is.
( use the link I gave you in post #5 )

3. Buy an adapter or enclosure.
( again use the link in #5 )
or take a look here for an adapter
click here

Note: You will need a 3.5 inch enclosure ( SATA or IDE ) or if you go for the adapter make sure it fits your drive.

4. Connect the drive to the adapter and plug into the USB port.

It will show in "Computer" just as a memory stick does.
You can access your files from there.

#15 LOVEMYPC

LOVEMYPC
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 661 posts
  •  

Posted 21 March 2012 - 09:12 AM

HI,KEN-B, It appears i have IDE drives in both PC's,the flat cables have 38 plus one pins.
Went back to post #5 and cables are the same,the video that explained on how set up 2 HDD drives
said to move little block to the slave position for the second drive,THANK'S

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users