Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

compress family video from hard drive and onto other media

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 donatello

donatello

• Members
  • 47 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:26 AM

Posted 15 March 2012 - 05:51 PM

I have been one-to-one copying 25 years of family VHS tapes to my hard drive. I'm about half way thru it and it takes lots of disc space. I have over a Terabyte of video so far. The video file of our wedding alone ran 2 hours and was over 27 GB! My first goal is to get all video from my HD onto some other media to free my internal and external HD's for the remainder of the videos. I use Pinnacle Studio 14 software to make some great video & photo compilations. So I need to have easy access of all my video files. I'm not interested in online storage. I was thinking compressed and onto DVD's, although I would rather see what the technologically superior members can come up with.. Thanks, I appreciate your input

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 12x48y

12x48y

• Members
  • 299 posts
  •  

Posted 18 March 2012 - 06:43 AM

I'm not technologically superior, but I saved all my VHS home movies, and others, to data DVD/CD. ( some are VIDEO_TS or SVCD)

I think DVD's will last longer than external HD, if stored properly. (I still have VCD's from 1999 that still play, but they are deteriorating, so I need to copy them over)

Some I saved as data AVI raw. others I compressed to MPEG-2. (some videos were better than others, the videos shot in bad light didn't look good when compressed, so I kept them AVI)

I used a variety of tools over the years to compress and/or burn, TMPGenc, Avidemux, Nero, Vegas, WinX HD Video converter, etc.

I am also waiting to hear from other members.

#3 rotor123

rotor123

• 8,093 posts
  •  

Posted 19 March 2012 - 04:19 PM

HI,

What you have is the best format to work with for editing. Any compression you apply will reduce the quality for editing purposes. Edit then compress.

Workflow

Capture ---> Edit ---> convert --> (Author) ---> Burn to disc.

Personal opinion. Get another drive for storage. Keep the captures as backup incase the camera dies.

This is semi important so that if you discover a a method that gives better results later you can go back and re-capture or re-convert.

Editing would be a simple as trimming out parts or trimming out parts, transitions, filtering to improve the results. Color correction, improve contrast or compensate for poor lighting or bad audio and so on.

I refer you to http://www.videohelp.com/ as there are people there that are very helpful and cover the gamut from newbie to professionals.

Good Luck
Roger

Edited by rotor123, 19 March 2012 - 04:20 PM.

Fortune Cookie says: Fortune not Found: Abort, Retry, Ignore?

Sent from my All-In-One Desktop. Perfect for Internet, Not for heavy usage or gaming however.

How Does a computer get Infected? http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/t/2520/how-did-i-get-infected/
Forum Rules,    The BC Welcome Guide

167 @ June 2015

#4 donatello

donatello
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 47 posts
  •  

Posted 20 March 2012 - 04:24 PM

Thank you both for the input and I'm going to check out that lin.k

0 user(s) are reading this topic