Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Building my first gaming tower!

• Please log in to reply
22 replies to this topic

#1 Brett119

Brett119

• Members
  • 57 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:44 PM

Posted 15 March 2012 - 03:12 PM

Hey guys, after a night of thinking it through I have finally decided to build my own system! Problem is, I know what to look for thanks to "What you need to build a system" post, but I need some help knowing if what I choose will work. This is what I am looking at so far -

1. Motherboard - This seemed like a good choice

2. Processor - Not sure it this will be compatible with the motherboard here.

3. Memory - This looked like a great deal.

4. Case - Best deal I could find here.

5. Power supply - Undecided. Need to know what wattage I need to look for.

6. DVD RW drive - Nothing too fancy.

7.Hard disk drive - This one had the best rating.

8. Video card - After looking around a little, I found this

9. CPU cooler AKA heatsink. Looks like this is already in the case.

10. Thermal compound - I have seen these at a local Walmart. Will it work, or do I need something better?

11. Operating system - I'm torn between Windows and Linux. Is Linux an easy to work with operating system?

12. Monitor - I'll worry about that later

13. Keyboard and mouse - Already taken care of!

As of now, The total price is just short of $700, and I don't have the power supply included yet. Does everything look acceptable, or did I just find a bunch of random parts and hoped to throw them together?

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 balon

balon

• Members
  • 432 posts
  •  

Posted 15 March 2012 - 03:33 PM

Good List buddy,

Some Notes:

Amazing RAM :P G-Skill is a very good product.

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16820231314

Amazing RAM there.

Next, that video card is amazing.

And the Power-supply, one company people don't like is this, but I have had this for 2 years, it is amazing and it can run a system that might be just a little bit more advanced then yours I guess I could say? It has more parts with higher requirements and it runs this fine.

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16817709021

And although, you dont NEED it, a simple sound card is amazing for gaming...
Very Cheap and amazing.

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16829132020

Lastly, get this compound:

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16835100007

Edited by Balon, 15 March 2012 - 03:34 PM.

#3 Brett119

Brett119
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 57 posts
  •  

Posted 15 March 2012 - 04:04 PM

Ok, I added the compound to my list, and replaced the RAM with the one you linked too. Any other advice?

#4 balon

balon

• Members
  • 432 posts
  •  

Posted 15 March 2012 - 04:15 PM

That power supply is really good, I vouch for it

You should check it out

#5 Brett119

Brett119
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 57 posts
  •  

Posted 15 March 2012 - 04:53 PM

Sorry, I forgot to mention that I added that too. Now I just need to know if everything will be compatible.

#6 DJBPace07

DJBPace07

• BC Advisor
  • 4,869 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:44 PM

Posted 15 March 2012 - 05:24 PM

A few things...

You don't need a sound card unless you are an audiophile or listen to lots of music. On board is pretty good with standard speakers.

That CPU will not work, you will need one of AMD's FX CPU's. These CPU's are quite a bit different from what you chose. For gaming, I would get the AMD FX-6100 Zambezi 3.3GHz or the AMD FX-8120 Zambezi 3.1GHz. I have that exact same motherboard and use the FX-8150 to good results.

With RAM, you don't need to be too picky, I would get two or more sticks of AMD Entertainment Edition 4GB 240-Pin DDR3 SDRAM DDR3 1600. With this motherboard, the CPU socket and RAM slots sit close together, do not get RAM with tall heatsinks.

That's a decent case. Aluminum cases are usually higher quality, cases with large windows on the sides or vents will be noisy, and if you use high-end graphics cards, mid ATX cases may not be deep enough. I like Lian-Li cases, but Silverstone is great too. I love the Coolermaster Cosmos before they modified it.

That video card is not amazing, well, next Monday it won't be amazing since that is when the new Radeon 7850 and 7870 cards are due out. They are more expensive, however. If those cards are too much, up your GPU to a Radeon 6870 or consider the Radeon 7770.

For the power supply, I usually suggest the CORSAIR Enthusiast Series TX750 or ENERMAX NAXN 82+ ENM750AWT 750W if you are doing multiple GPU's. If you're not, the CORSAIR Builder Series CX600 or the PC Power and Cooling Silencer MK III 600W.

CPU cooling is a non-issue as the cooler comes in the CPU box. However, those are fairly mediocre coolers that are noisy. I use the XIGMATEK Gaia SD1283 120mm, well, a close cousin of that cooler, to excellent results. Use the compound suggested earlier, and keep in mind this is an HDT cooler with a different application method than the "dot-in-the-middle" most coolers use. HDT coolers work best with two small lines on the copper.

As for the OS, use Windows, it's easier and you don't have to fumble around on the CLI just to get stuff to work. You can theoretically use Windows 8 CP for free until it is out.

I just bought a new monitor, so, if you need suggestions for those...

3939.png

#7 Brett119

Brett119
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 57 posts
  •  

Posted 15 March 2012 - 09:12 PM

Wow, thanks for pointing that out. I switched the CPU on my list to the FX-6100, changed the RAM to two of the ones you recommended. I'm not interested in getting a sound card, and I am taking a look at some Lian-Li cases. I am leaning towards the Lancool PC-K62, but I would like to know if you think it would have enough space for all the components. As for video cards, the Radeon HD 7770 looks like the better of the two. I also added the XIGMATEK Gaia SD1283 120mm, and the CORSAIR Enthusiast Series TX750. Now my total is about $980, and I really don't want to pass into the four digit price area. Any other advice for me?

#8 killerx525

killerx525

Bleepin' Aussie

• Members
  • 7,220 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:44 AM

Posted 16 March 2012 - 10:00 AM

The case you have chosen has plenty of space for everything to fit in.

>Michael 
System1: CPU- Intel Core i7-5820K @ 4.4GHz, CPU Cooler- Noctua NH-D14, RAM- G.Skill Ripjaws 16GB Kit(4Gx4) DDR3 2133MHz, SSD/HDD- Samsung 850 EVO 250GB/Western Digital Caviar Black 1TB/Seagate Barracuada 3TB, GPU- 2x EVGA GTX980 Superclocked @1360/MHz1900MHz, Motherboard- Asus X99 Deluxe, Case- Custom Mac G5, PSU- EVGA P2-1000W, Soundcard- Realtek High Definition Audio, OS- Windows 10 Pro 64-Bit
Games: APB: Reloaded, Hours played: 3100+  System2: Late 2011 Macbook Pro 15inch   OFw63FY.png

#9 diggi

diggi

• Members
  • 335 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:44 AM

Posted 16 March 2012 - 07:34 PM

Wow, thanks for pointing that out. I switched the CPU on my list to the FX-6100, changed the RAM to two of the ones you recommended. I'm not interested in getting a sound card, and I am taking a look at some Lian-Li cases. I am leaning towards the Lancool PC-K62, but I would like to know if you think it would have enough space for all the components. As for video cards, the Radeon HD 7770 looks like the better of the two. I also added the XIGMATEK Gaia SD1283 120mm, and the CORSAIR Enthusiast Series TX750. Now my total is about $980, and I really don't want to pass into the four digit price area. Any other advice for me?

To save money I would scale back the mobo to the Asus 990X which is $35 cheaper, it should overclock just as well as the sabertooth since they both have the same digi+vrm. Or you could use that money and get a better Video card
If you want free OSes Ubuntu, Mint Linux, Fedora are pretty user friendly and you can always double boot with Windows

Edited by diggi, 16 March 2012 - 07:38 PM.

#10 DJBPace07

DJBPace07

• BC Advisor
  • 4,869 posts
  •  

Posted 16 March 2012 - 08:51 PM

Keep in mind that the 990X is a good choice, as is a 970-based board, for gamers who will not be using multiple graphics cards. The 990FX really is designed for gamers who may use more than one GPU.

3939.png

#11 netservices123

netservices123

• Members
  • 4 posts
  •  

Posted 17 March 2012 - 01:39 AM

A computer has a combination of these...

Monitor
harddisk
RAM
Keyboard
mouse
CPU
UPS
intwernal hard drives n so more...

#12 killerx525

killerx525

Bleepin' Aussie

• Members
  • 7,220 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:44 AM

Posted 17 March 2012 - 05:50 AM

A computer has a combination of these...

Monitor
harddisk
RAM
Keyboard
mouse
CPU
UPS
intwernal hard drives n so more...

Hard disk and hard drives are the same thing. It is not necessary to have UPS with a computer.

>Michael 
System1: CPU- Intel Core i7-5820K @ 4.4GHz, CPU Cooler- Noctua NH-D14, RAM- G.Skill Ripjaws 16GB Kit(4Gx4) DDR3 2133MHz, SSD/HDD- Samsung 850 EVO 250GB/Western Digital Caviar Black 1TB/Seagate Barracuada 3TB, GPU- 2x EVGA GTX980 Superclocked @1360/MHz1900MHz, Motherboard- Asus X99 Deluxe, Case- Custom Mac G5, PSU- EVGA P2-1000W, Soundcard- Realtek High Definition Audio, OS- Windows 10 Pro 64-Bit
Games: APB: Reloaded, Hours played: 3100+  System2: Late 2011 Macbook Pro 15inch   OFw63FY.png

#13 Brett119

Brett119
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 57 posts
  •  

Posted 17 March 2012 - 04:46 PM

Keep in mind that the 990X is a good choice, as is a 970-based board, for gamers who will not be using multiple graphics cards. The 990FX really is designed for gamers who may use more than one GPU.

Like I said before I am not very smart when it comes to building a computer so this may sound stupid, but why would you run multiple GPUs? Also, would you recommend doing it if I want to play games on highest settings?

#14 DJBPace07

DJBPace07

• BC Advisor
  • 4,869 posts
  •  

Posted 17 March 2012 - 05:27 PM

Two GPU's can increase your speed in games as two graphics cards are doing the processing. However, not all games scale well with multiple GPU's, this means, you often get more value for your money by using high-end graphics cards. Multiple cards increase the needed size of your PSU, depending on the graphics card, and produce more heat in your case.

For reference, both AMD and Nvidia have different technologies to do this, they will not work together. AMD's is called CrossfireX, or CFX, and Nvidia's is SLI.

Edited by DJBPace07, 17 March 2012 - 07:47 PM.

3939.png

#15 Brett119

Brett119
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 57 posts
  •  

Posted 17 March 2012 - 06:36 PM

Ok, so unless I plan to go overboard with the gaming, one higher end graphics card should work just fine? If so, could you give me a link to a good 970 based board that would be compatible with the components I have chosen? Also, is the graphics card I have chosen acceptable?

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users