Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Graphics card crashing issue, help please

• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 rowdy117

rowdy117

• Members
  • 6 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:14 PM

Posted 15 March 2012 - 03:05 PM

I have a GTX 460 that is crashing with the error-

Display Driver stopped responding and recovered.
Display Driver NVIDIA Windows Kernel Mode Driver 285.62 stopped responding and successfully recovered.

I have been working with EVGA to solve this problem but with no success. Here is what we have done-

1.)Cleaned out the NVidia drivers using Drive Sweeper and reinstalled the latest drivers.
2.)Checked 12V was steady in hardware monitor.
3.)Moved the card to the other PCI-E slot.
4.)Ran memtest.
5.)Returned the card to EVGA under warranty, new card same problem.

While the original card was being sent to EVGA, I replaced it with an ATI card and installed the ATI drivers.
During that time, it didnt crash but I did have something happen-

The color scheme has been changed to Windows 7 basic.
The current color scheme has exceeded its allowed memory so the color scheme has been automatically changed to improve

performance. Click to see more information.

Here is my current system configuration-

Asus Maximus III GENE
Intel Core I7 Quad Core 875K 2.93Ghz 8 MB 95W Overclocked to at least 3.7GHz.
4 x Kingston DDR3-1333 2048MB
EVGA GeForce GTX 460 1GB
Intel X25-M SSD
Windows 7 Pro 64-bit

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 rotor123

rotor123

• 8,093 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:14 PM

Posted 15 March 2012 - 05:23 PM

How about removing the CPU overclocking and if the Video card is overclocked undo that too.

Test for a few days.

Good luck
Roger

Fortune Cookie says: Fortune not Found: Abort, Retry, Ignore?

Sent from my All-In-One Desktop. Perfect for Internet, Not for heavy usage or gaming however.

How Does a computer get Infected? http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/t/2520/how-did-i-get-infected/
Forum Rules,    The BC Welcome Guide

167 @ June 2015

#3 rowdy117

rowdy117
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 6 posts
  •  

Posted 16 March 2012 - 07:47 AM

How about removing the CPU overclocking and if the Video card is overclocked undo that too.

Test for a few days.

Good luck
Roger

Thanks Roger, I can try that but this computer worked fine for just over a year overclocked with no issues.

#4 rotor123

rotor123

• 8,093 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:14 PM

Posted 16 March 2012 - 09:31 AM

On the other hand it is now a year later and components can change value as they age. Have you checked Power supply voltages under load?

One of the signs of to much or improperly done overclocking is instability.

The two daytime internet use machines I use are both brand name and therefore not overclockable.

They both just run. The one is a recent $299 purchase. An I3 based small server with 4Gb ECC memory that I added a SSD to. It runs really nice. Quiet etc.
The other I had one problem with in the last three years, A memory went bad. It is a old IBM P4 workstation with a 10K RPM ultra 320 SCSI boot drive and 2GB memory. Oops I tell a lie, I had to replace some capacitors on the video card last year too.

I guess what I'm saying is if you value quiet and stability like I do then stock speeds are good. I have a I7 video work machine also not overclocked. Knock wood, maybe I'm just lucky but I do not see BSODs or crashes on my computers they just run. I have also switched to a SSD boot drive for all of them.

I'll bet you noticed a difference in your speed with the one you have.

Good Luck
Roger

Edited by rotor123, 16 March 2012 - 09:32 AM.

Fortune Cookie says: Fortune not Found: Abort, Retry, Ignore?

Sent from my All-In-One Desktop. Perfect for Internet, Not for heavy usage or gaming however.

How Does a computer get Infected? http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/t/2520/how-did-i-get-infected/
Forum Rules,    The BC Welcome Guide

167 @ June 2015

#5 rowdy117

rowdy117
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 6 posts
  •  

Posted 16 March 2012 - 10:32 AM

On the other hand it is now a year later and components can change value as they age. Have you checked Power supply voltages under load?

One of the signs of to much or improperly done overclocking is instability.

The two daytime internet use machines I use are both brand name and therefore not overclockable.

They both just run. The one is a recent $299 purchase. An I3 based small server with 4Gb ECC memory that I added a SSD to. It runs really nice. Quiet etc.
The other I had one problem with in the last three years, A memory went bad. It is a old IBM P4 workstation with a 10K RPM ultra 320 SCSI boot drive and 2GB memory. Oops I tell a lie, I had to replace some capacitors on the video card last year too.

I guess what I'm saying is if you value quiet and stability like I do then stock speeds are good. I have a I7 video work machine also not overclocked. Knock wood, maybe I'm just lucky but I do not see BSODs or crashes on my computers they just run. I have also switched to a SSD boot drive for all of them.

I'll bet you noticed a difference in your speed with the one you have.

Good Luck
Roger

OK Roger, thanks again for your help.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users