Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Pure chaos with my Windows 7, 64-bit (preinstalled with 32 &64 bit) boot

• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 Miggymeister

Miggymeister

• Members
  • 8 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:14 AM

Posted 15 March 2012 - 12:18 PM

Hello friends. I just posted this on another computer forum. Both Bleeping computer and the other forum have my tremendous respect.

I have not been here for awhile- as you'll see I've been busy. But I'm running in circles and hope SO MUCH that someone here can help me or point me in the right direction.

I wish you all well and appreciate your knowledge of these $%$&*^^&% computers.

Most sincerely, Miggy (or Camelot) I can't worry about such trivia anymore. My head is spinning. :crazy:

Post by Camelot Thu Mar 15, 2012 10:58 am
Last year I used to come here all the time and read upon your advice. I found you all very knowledgeable and kind.

I moved out of state and am at my wits end. Please know that I'm not as smart as you guys. I hold a music/theater degree. However, that doesn't stop my need for a daily computer.

Yesterday, I signed up to the HP forum since i have a Compaq Presario CQ57-229WM Notebook, thinking they'd be able to help me. I have talked with every HP rep on the entire Indian continent at this point.

I will post what I posted there (it got 34 views) and hope that at least maybe someone can help this idiot (me!) out. I'm about to cry and if I had more than $12 in the bank at this point I'd get another. I bought this the first week of January and have not gotten further than recovery every day since.

I'm not kidding when I say I've spent 8-10 hours a day on this mess and all I got it for was to create a resume and start a job. I should have 5 or 6 paychecks by now.

Here is my post on HP. I guess they're all busy taking 3 hour phone calls (this was my typical call time when talking with a rep-though they were all kind).

ANY advice... ANY ADVICE... on where to look, what to do, who to talk to, etc would be appreciated.

I'm thinking I should just put my IOLO drive scrubber in and hope it doesn't scrub the OPS, whatever it is.

Sincerely, Miggy

03-14-2012 01:39 PM

Please can ANYONE help me?

I am my wits end- have restored to factory condition (through system image, full recovery, restore points, tapping F11 at boot, etc), restored using recovery tapes, scanned all computer forums for advice, etc.

I have been on the phone with India for hours.

Since purchase and first use I have restored to factory condition more than 20 times so far.

This Compaq Presario CQ57-229WM Notebook PC came pre installed with both 32 bit and 64 bit.

How it chose to use 32 bit as the default OPS I'll never know but I have no idea to make it run ONLY 64 bit.

The Computer properties show 64 bit Home Premium, I receive 64 bit updates.

But I cannot get Splow64 or Winsx or "exe's", "msi's", etc to run.

It tells me I can't since I'm in 32 mode.

Can someone tell me step by step what to do?

All of the processes in task manager (which are System 32) are ALL system 32 and the few I have manually tried to install won't activate.

I'm exhausted and cannot afford this time and effort anymore.

Please, someone help.

Or am I CRAZY? Is a 64 bit OPS supposed to be running services, etc for 32 bit and I'm just supposed to ignore seeing the SYS WOW and such as though they don't exist? I don't even have any 64-bit drivers and I would think I should at least have those.

WHERE ARE THEY????

HELP!!!!!!! PLEASE!!!!!!!!!

I didn't even have an HP software framework until I figured that out yesterday and when I went into running services (although they were in 32-mode) things like Microsoft were turned off.

Plus, about every 4th recovery I get a "Windows is not authentic". I place activate in search and get my code but it never stays for more than a few hours and is then blank again.

I bought this at Walmart. Naturally they won't take it back, even with my receipt.

Re: Pure chaos with my Windows 7, 64-bit (preinstalled with 32 &64) boot

03-15-2012 09:25 AM

Is there ANYONE who can help me by at least suggesting where to go to find an answer for this?

I notice 34 people have viewed this post.

I would really appreciate it.

After the second recovery I started keeping notes and have pages and pages of what I did and in which order on each subsequent recovery, if that would help answer further questions.

The only thing I seem to have left to do I use a scrubber on my disk and pray it doesn't erase the entire hard drive. Because each time I do another recovery, my D drive carries all the previous info. The bar is now full, red and can't take any more info.

Is there an HP rep on this forum?

I have GOT to get help with this matter.

Thank you.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 cryptodan

cryptodan

Bleepin Madman

• Members
  • 21,868 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:14 AM

Posted 15 March 2012 - 01:53 PM

Please perform the following, so that we can get the exact specs of your computer. This will better assist us in helping you more.

Publish a Snapshot using Speccy

The below is for those who cannot get online

Please take caution when attaching a text file to your post if you cannot copy/paste the link to your post, you will need to edit it to make sure that your Windows Key is not present.

First of all a computer cannot come pre-installed with both Operating systems. You would have to buy 2 Licenses from compaq / hp for that to happen

#3 Guest_Xircal_*

Guest_Xircal_*

• Guests
  •  

Posted 15 March 2012 - 02:23 PM

As cryptodan mentioned already, there won't be both 32-bit and 64-bit on the same machine because of the requirement for two licences, so you're confused there somewhere.

This is your machine unless you've made a mistake with the description: Compaq Presario CQ57-229WM As mentioned on the Walmart site, it comes with 30 days free software support. If that period of time hasn't expired yet, I suggest you give Walmart a call and they should be able to help you.

#4 Miggymeister

Miggymeister
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 8 posts
  •  

Posted 15 March 2012 - 06:20 PM

Thanks, you guys!

I really appreciate this help.

BTW. Walmart is adamant about returning electronics within 2 weeks and the store in my city makes NO exceptions.

I'm going to try and post that file now.

Thanks again!

#5 Miggymeister

Miggymeister
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 8 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:14 AM

Posted 15 March 2012 - 06:49 PM

Here, Madman.

I think I did it right.

http://speccy.piriform.com/results/hVMX2mEfI6s0kjyL32uMF1E