Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

XP recovery H/P A807

• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 geh

geh

• Members
  • 33 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:20 PM

Posted 15 March 2012 - 07:48 AM

ALL,

I picked up a H/P a807 that originally came with XP home and the last user put xp pro on it and it's messed up and has personal data on it. I wanted to get back to the original setup so I can give it to someone in need. I can see the H: recovery section of the hhd, but I cannot get to it. I've read and attempted almost everything I could find on the web to get it to do a destructive rebuild, but so far nothin I've attempted has worked. I have tried the F10 and looking at the files there are no H/P tools to select to get the thing to try and get back to the H: drive. If I go to the disc manager it shows the drive, but its grayed out and I can't make it active to get the F10 to work. The disc manager show the partition as 0 and says its good. I read on one site that possible that the mbr was over written when xp pro was installed and that's why I can't get it to recovery the original data off the H: recovery drive. I found one guy who had a program line from an H/P that stated something H:\ininstall\system32 I can't remember now the info at home and I'm at work. I tried that and it showed some dll files missing and other that I can't remember. I'm at my wits end maybe I'm just silly, but I'd really like to get this back to original, the data appears to be there I just can't get to it. I don't know if there is a boot cd I can down load that will force it to open the H: drive files, thanks so much, sorry about the long posting!!
Greg :deadhorse:

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 frankp316

frankp316

• Members
  • 2,677 posts
  •  

Posted 15 March 2012 - 10:45 AM

If you're going to give it away, you might as well wipe it clean and go to the link below and download the appropriate software. That would be a lot easier than what you are trying to do.

http://h10025.www1.hp.com/ewfrf/wc/softwareCategory?os=228&lc=en&cc=us&dlc=en&sw_lang=&product=453539#N547

#3 geh

geh
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 33 posts
  •  

Posted 15 March 2012 - 10:54 AM

I thought about that too! but reading down thru some of the other postings I found what may do what I want thr TestDisk software. I'll find out and let everyone know here what happens, it will be tomorrow or Monday thanks!!! :clapping:

#4 hamluis

hamluis

• 56,281 posts
  •  

Posted 15 March 2012 - 11:04 AM

System Specs

http://h10025.www1.hp.com/ewfrf/wc/document?docname=bph07144&cc=us&dlc=en&lang=&lc=en&product=453539 , see Starting A Recovery.

Bottom line...you can contact HP for replacement recovery disks for that system, http://h10025.www1.hp.com/ewfrf/wc/document?docname=bph07143&cc=us&dlc=en&lc=en&product=453539&tmp_track_link=ot_search .

Louis

#5 geh

geh
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 33 posts
  •  

Posted 15 March 2012 - 11:08 AM

Louis,

Thanks I'm on a limited budget and need to get this unit cleaned up soon, I'll check the links thanks
greg :clapping:

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users