Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Shutdown issues

• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 Waterhead

Waterhead

• Members
  • 5 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:33 PM

Posted 15 March 2012 - 02:33 AM

I have an old Acer Aspire T135 that I use in my classroom. It was my sons computer and he was having unknown problems with it and we bought him a new one. I took the computer and replaced the memory and hard drive, reformatted and reinstalled windows. The computer started up and worked fine for about an hour and then restarted automatically, ran checkdisk and came back up like everything was fine. I installed McAffee and everything was working. Now it will intermittently restart on its own, and when I shut it down it restarts. I have went to start up and unchecked the automatically restart, but it restarts anyway and after it boots a message comes up and says it has recovered from a serious error. If anyone has any ideas I would greatly appreciate it. Thanks in advance

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 noknojon

noknojon

• Banned
  • 10,871 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:33 PM

Posted 15 March 2012 - 05:49 AM

Hi -
One step at a time -

Remove McAffee A/V program from Add/Remove, reboot and see what happens -

#3 frankp316

frankp316

• Members
  • 2,677 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:33 AM

Posted 15 March 2012 - 10:34 AM

Could overheating be the problem?

#4 Waterhead

Waterhead
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 5 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:33 PM

Posted 15 March 2012 - 03:24 PM

I tried removing McAffee and no changes, I tried different memory and no changes, I have put a new fan in and no changes though I don't think overheating is an issue as I thoroughly cleaned the inside of the pc, re-greased and installed a new cpu fan. I have also installed a new power supply and no changes. Is there a way to test the motherboard and processor? Is there anything else I should try? Thanks again.

#5 Tsh00ter

Tsh00ter

• Members
  • 14 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:33 AM

Posted 15 March 2012 - 04:14 PM

Sounds like overheating is not the problem, unless the new ventilator(s) do not spin correctly.
To verify temperatures and ventilator RPM you could use SpeedFan: http://www.almico.com/sfdownload.php

Also run eventvwr.msc and check the system and application logs for fatal errors just prior to the reboots.

#6 noknojon

noknojon

• Banned
  • 10,871 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:33 PM

Posted 15 March 2012 - 07:15 PM

Please post a snapshot with Speccy -
How to Publish a snapshot with Speccy <<-- Directions
This will help us check your system -

Thank You -

0 user(s) are reading this topic