Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Strange sounds Coming from Mysterious program

• Please log in to reply
8 replies to this topic

#1 ArcadianPhoenix

ArcadianPhoenix

• Members
  • 4 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:46 AM

Posted 15 March 2012 - 02:19 AM

So, today while I was playing World of Warcraft, my computer started making strange noises at me. At first I thought I had left an internet tab open or something because I kept hearing commercials and pop news highlights coming through my speakers. But after making sure that everything was shut off, the noises kept coming. Upon further inspection through my volume mixer I found this strange program producing noise but it had a "No Name Available" as a descriptor.

I have run Malwarebytes Pro and Combo and uninstalled everything that I had run today but it still persists. I even did a full system restore dating back a couple weeks yet the noises keep coming. PLEASE HELP! I have no idea what's causing this and it is literally driving me batty. Any ideas?

Desperate for answers,

ArcadianPhoenix

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Guest_Xircal_*

Guest_Xircal_*

• Guests
  •  

Posted 15 March 2012 - 03:53 AM

So, today while I was playing World of Warcraft, my computer started making strange noises at me. At first I thought I had left an internet tab open or something because I kept hearing commercials and pop news highlights coming through my speakers. But after making sure that everything was shut off, the noises kept coming. Upon further inspection through my volume mixer I found this strange program producing noise but it had a "No Name Available" as a descriptor.

I have run Malwarebytes Pro and Combo and uninstalled everything that I had run today but it still persists. I even did a full system restore dating back a couple weeks yet the noises keep coming. PLEASE HELP! I have no idea what's causing this and it is literally driving me batty. Any ideas?

Desperate for answers,

ArcadianPhoenix

'Strange sound' is not very indicative of the type of sound you're hearing. Could you be a little more precise? Is it for example, a buzzing noise, a high pitched whine or what?

#3 ArcadianPhoenix

ArcadianPhoenix
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 4 posts
  •  

Posted 15 March 2012 - 04:19 AM

It is a series of Commercials, crying cats, people laughing, tvshow news and random music. From what I could make out of the jumble at least.

Edited by ArcadianPhoenix, 15 March 2012 - 04:21 AM.

#4 Guest_Xircal_*

Guest_Xircal_*

• Guests
  •  

Posted 15 March 2012 - 05:16 AM

It is a series of Commercials, crying cats, people laughing, tvshow news and random music. From what I could make out of the jumble at least.

Have you checked your EAX console? Do that by right clicking the audio icon you should be able to see in systray and then open the EAX Console. It will look something like the one you see in the screenshot. You'll see different options like "Haunted Cavern", "Jazz Club" etc., which produce different effects when audio is played. They may have different descriptions depending on the sound card manufacturer, but maybe that's where the culprit lies.

Maybe WOW has something similar in the game settings somewhere too.

#5 ArcadianPhoenix

ArcadianPhoenix
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 4 posts
  •  

Posted 15 March 2012 - 04:41 PM

I right clicked on my speaker tab in my systray but I had nothing like what you're talking about in there. I did check all the options that I do have "Playback Devices", "Recording Devices", and "Sounds"... but none of them had any options for sound effects like that.

EDIT:

I also checked my World of Warcraft sound settings... even when all of them have been turned off and it's producing no sound at all, these ghost noises are still coming out.

Edited by ArcadianPhoenix, 15 March 2012 - 04:42 PM.

#6 Guest_Xircal_*

Guest_Xircal_*

• Guests
  •  

Posted 16 March 2012 - 03:26 AM

Power off the machine and disconnect the speakers. If your PC has a switch on the power supply, use that to remove power to the machine, otherwise just remove the power cord. Wait a full two minutes before you power on again. This will flush the system memory.

When the system boots to the desktop, power off again and then reconnect the speakers.

If the problem persists in spite of the above, check the WOW forums to see if anybody else has experienced the same problem after playing: http://us.battle.net/wow/en/forum/

#7 ArcadianPhoenix

ArcadianPhoenix
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 4 posts
  •  

Posted 16 March 2012 - 10:49 AM

This seems to have worked! Thank you so much for your help and patience!

#8 hamluis

hamluis

• 55,406 posts
  •  

Posted 16 March 2012 - 11:39 AM

FWIW: I have found that visiting some websites...may result in (what I ssuspect is a temporary file) what you describe becoming audible via speakers.

I found that rebooting eliminated whatever it was.

Louis

#9 Guest_Xircal_*

Guest_Xircal_*

• Guests
  •  

Posted 16 March 2012 - 12:17 PM

This seems to have worked! Thank you so much for your help and patience!

You're welcome.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users