Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Could someone help me out? (laptop battery)

• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 peel

peel

• Members
  • 74 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:44 PM

Posted 14 March 2012 - 08:00 PM

My laptop is a vostro 3000. It would always overheat when I ran anything too strenuous like a strenuous game. Today, when it wasn't plugged in, it seemed to overheat again even though it was fully charged and I barely used it. The problem was it would not restart until I plugged it in to AC again. The battery life was stuck at 0% and it seems like it will not charge anymore and only works while plugged in. This is my 2nd AC adapter since the first one stopped working and would not charge (the one that came with the laptop).
So I researched and found this link: http://blog.laptopmag.com/dell-refreshes-small-business-vostro-3000-line-12-hours-of-battery-life-starts-at-499
It seems they have made a 'version 2' you could call it of my Vostro 3000. I bought this laptop 2 years ago before the refresher and they added the features in the link. Before, my laptop had a battery life of less than an hour without the charge cord.
According to the article, the newer model has 6-12 hours depending on which battery you get.
I was wondering if it was possible to simpy just buy the new battery for this new model and put it into my older model? Would it fit and work for my older model? Will this prevent my overheating? I would love for this to work since it'd be much more battery life which would be great. According to the picture, it looks the same size as my model
I cant seem to find the research to answer these questions though. Also, I cant find a link where they sell simply the battery for this newer model.
Can anyone help? :(

Edited by peel, 14 March 2012 - 08:02 PM.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 peel

peel
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 74 posts
  •  

Posted 14 March 2012 - 10:59 PM

bump

#3 peel

peel
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 74 posts
  •  

Posted 15 March 2012 - 05:23 PM

bump

#4 peel

peel
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 74 posts
  •  

Posted 18 March 2012 - 05:32 PM

bump

#5 Artrooks

Artrooks

• Members
  • 1,463 posts
  •  

Posted 20 March 2012 - 07:26 AM

I think the best approach would be for you to contact Dell directly: Dell Parts and Upgrades. Select "Analyse System," enter "Service Tag" or chat with a Dell representative.

Good luck.

Regards,
Brooks

#6 rotor123

rotor123

• 8,093 posts
  •  

Posted 20 March 2012 - 11:44 AM

It sounds like the battery is bad, not the AC adapter. Is the battery getting hot?

The changes you reference in regard to battery life could also be due to changes in the laptop hardware as well as changes to the battery.

It appears that they did many changes to the hardware that can not be incorporated into your model.
CPU to a less power hungry model
Screen from LCD to LED. Not interchangeable.
Could have went from HDD to SSD.
Newer less power hungry parts.

When the Dell Logo appears on the screen when turned on, Press F2 and look at the battery section. It should tell you if it is the battery or AC adapter for why it isn't charging. Either one can cause that problem and still let the laptop run when plugged in.

It may say that the battery has reached the end of its life. Or it may say unknown AC adapter.

Good Luck
Roger

Fortune Cookie says: Fortune not Found: Abort, Retry, Ignore?

Sent from my All-In-One Desktop. Perfect for Internet, Not for heavy usage or gaming however.

How Does a computer get Infected? http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/t/2520/how-did-i-get-infected/
Forum Rules,    The BC Welcome Guide

167 @ June 2015

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users