Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

IE8 Managing Add ons, Flash Player, and Hotmail

• Please log in to reply
13 replies to this topic

#1 jlinno

jlinno

• Members
  • 31 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:49 PM

Posted 14 March 2012 - 05:37 PM

I recently had to reload XP PRO SP3 on my Dell Latitude D620. Also had to download and install IE8. All Windows XP updates, Drivers, and IE8 updates have been applied.

When I open the Manage Add Ons in Tools, the window displays but a scrunched up display of add on list is displayed where I can't see any of them. Have tried to repair IE8 by re-registering dll's. Tried to run SFC \scannnow but got a message the "SCANNNOW" option is not valid (tried SFC.exe scannow and got basically the same message.

I also get a request to run Active X for Flash Player 6 (not on all sites every time but at least once on most sites).
I have downloaded and installed Flash Player 11. When I click ok to run Active X sometimes it runs and then I don't get the message on other sites. Other times when I click ok to run, I get a window trying to download it and it fails.

Hotmail...

When I reply to a message the to address is not displayed and I cannot get my contact list to display for selection.

Also when replying to a message (or creating a new message), I cannot attach any files. I click on attachments and it does nothing.

Any Ideas?

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 hamluis

hamluis

• 56,565 posts
  •  

Posted 14 March 2012 - 05:41 PM

What was wrong with the system...that prompted you to attempt a reinstall of XP?

Louis

#3 caperjac

caperjac

• Members
  • 1,649 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:49 AM

Posted 14 March 2012 - 05:57 PM

SFC \scannnow but got a message the "SCANNNOW"

one two many "N" in that command

My answers are my opinion only,usually

#4 jlinno

jlinno
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 31 posts
  •  

Posted 14 March 2012 - 06:09 PM

Just a typo in the message. It was keyed properly when I attempted to use.

Tells me it is "not recognized as an internal or external command, operable program or batch file".

#5 jlinno

jlinno
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 31 posts
  •  

Posted 14 March 2012 - 06:11 PM

System locked up and upon restart all kind of strange things started happening from not executing any applications to unrequested internet accesses.

#6 hamluis

hamluis

• 56,565 posts
  •  

Posted 14 March 2012 - 07:36 PM

Any onscreen error message?

Did you run the appropriate diagnostic on the hard drive?

Check the temperatures for possible overheating of system?

Louis

#7 jlinno

jlinno
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 31 posts
  •  

Posted 14 March 2012 - 08:02 PM

Yes about do do a chkdsk now.

#8 hamluis

hamluis

• 56,565 posts
  •  

Posted 15 March 2012 - 10:37 AM

FWIW: Chkdsk is a diagnostic/repair tool for the file system.

It is not a hardware diagnostic tool, it is not analogous to the hard drive diagnostics which manufacturers of hard drives provide for use on the drives they produce/sell. It is important to use the diagnostic tool developed by the drive manufacturer...if a user wants a reliable result concerning the hard drive's functionality.

Free Hard Drive Testing Tools - Hard Drive Diagnostics - http://pcsupport.about.com/od/toolsofthetrade/tp/tophddiag.htm

Louis

#9 Guest_Xircal_*

Guest_Xircal_*

• Guests
  •  

Posted 15 March 2012 - 12:32 PM

Just a typo in the message. It was keyed properly when I attempted to use.

Tells me it is "not recognized as an internal or external command, operable program or batch file".

It should be a forward slash, not a backslash i.e. sfc /scannow (with the letter 'n' written twice). If you type a backslash, you'll get the error you mentioned.

To eliminate a browser problem, download Firefox from http://www.mozilla.org/en-US/firefox/fx/ You only need IE to download updates from the Windows Update site since Firefox doesn't support DirectX. For everything else, Firefox supports much more than IE8 ever will and you're missing out on many new browser technologies like HTML5 by continuing to use it. Microsoft chose to support HTML5 in IE9, but that will not run in Windows XP.

If you don't like the 'Tabs on top' arrangement in Firefox, do this: right click a blank part of the tab bar and then click "Tabs on top" to remove the checkmark. Tabs will subsequently appear below the location bar where you normally type a web address.

If you don't like the orange oblong Firefox button top left and prefer to see text links, right click a blank part of the tab bar again and then click "Menu bar" at the top. The oblong button will disappear and you'll have text links instead.

More info here: http://www.mozilla.org/en-US/firefox/features/

#10 Tsh00ter

Tsh00ter

• Members
  • 14 posts
  •  

Posted 15 March 2012 - 02:55 PM

System locked up and upon restart all kind of strange things started happening from not executing any applications to unrequested internet accesses.

That is suspicious. I would say malware was at work. A reinstall can only fix this for all cases if you did a completely new install (with format). Unless it was a certain type of root-kit but thatīs another story.

I agree with previous poster, go with Mozillaīs FireFox. If you are a heavy multimedia surfer go with version 3.6.28 here: http://www.mozilla.org/en-US/firefox/all-older.html else use the standard here: http://www.mozilla.org/products/download.html?product=firefox-11.0&os=win&lang=en-US

Make sure you add the Ad-Block (advertising blocks) and Stealthy (anonymous surfing where needed) addons and you are all set.

If you did not re-format I would still do malware checks.

#11 jlinno

jlinno
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 31 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:49 AM

Posted 17 March 2012 - 12:22 AM

Gave up. Switched to Firefox (quite a move after being a die hard user of IE for 16 years).

Take me a while to get used to it, but I'll survive.

Thanks for all your help and hope (nothing personal), that I don't have any more problems.

Again, thank you very much!!!

#12 jlinno

jlinno
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 31 posts
  •  

Posted 17 March 2012 - 12:24 AM

How do I close this topic??

#13 hamluis

hamluis

• 56,565 posts
  •  

Posted 17 March 2012 - 07:58 AM

We don't normally close topics, leaving them available to help guide/assist others with what may be similar problems.

Louis

#14 jlinno

jlinno
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 31 posts
  •  

Posted 17 March 2012 - 07:47 PM

Great. Thanks again!!!

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users