Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

problem reading hard drive with usb adapter

• Please log in to reply
64 replies to this topic

#1 southplank

southplank

• Members
  • 46 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:07 AM

Posted 14 March 2012 - 04:45 PM

Hello,
First post, but long time reader.
I have a serious problem with my fairly new HP Pavilion notebook. Temperature problem, it won't stay on for much more than a minute. Its most likely going back to HP for warranty service. I haven't called them yet to discuss, but I'm assuming I'll never see my hard drive or my data again. Its not the end of the world, most is backed up. There are a few recent docs and pictures I would like to retrieve. Also, I really don't want anyone having access to my hard drive and browser with all my favorites, history and passwords programed in, so I would like to wipe it.
I removed the sata HD 750gb drive and connected to my cheap usb hard drive adapter. I have used this device successfully before. Not sure if I used it on a sata drive, but I have copied many ide's with it. Anyway, my working machine recognizes it as a drive, but I cannot access anything. It reports that it is a 750gb Hitachi drive, but it says the drive is not formatted. I looked in the disk manager and it shows the drive and size correctly. It says the file system is 'raw'. I know in the broken machine it showed as NTFS. Both machines are Windows 7 x64. Both have NTFS. How can I read this drive and get my stuff? Am I missing something? Is my cheap (computer show) usb adapter kit incompatible with a 750gb from a Windows 7 machine? There is no manufacturer listed and no drivers that I know of for the kit. Should I get a better usb adapter? Any advice on how to read this drive would be great. Thanks.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 cryptodan

cryptodan

Bleepin Madman

• Members
  • 21,868 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:07 PM

Posted 14 March 2012 - 05:05 PM

Sounds like it could be failing, and I would recommend this one Vantec 2.5"/3.5"/5.25" SATA/IDE to USB 2.0 Adapter - Model CB-ISATAU2.

#3 southplank

southplank
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 46 posts
  •  

Posted 14 March 2012 - 05:26 PM

Sounds like it could be failing, and I would recommend this one Vantec 2.5"/3.5"/5.25" SATA/IDE to USB 2.0 Adapter - Model CB-ISATAU2.

Thanks for the recommendation. I got impatient and actually ordered that same adapter seconds after I posted. I did some searching and I didn't see any other postings from anybody having difficulty reading a good drive with these adapters. I'm hoping mine is just bad or outdated.

#4 cryptodan

cryptodan

Bleepin Madman

• Members
  • 21,868 posts
  •  

Posted 14 March 2012 - 05:32 PM

It is a good one, and I use it all the time.

#5 southplank

southplank
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 46 posts
  •  

Posted 15 March 2012 - 02:26 PM

Any other ideas? I got the Vantec adapter mentioned above and same thing, it says the disk needs to be formated. It still boots to windows in the bad computer. It just won't stay up long enough to do anything, but I know its readable.

#6 cryptodan

cryptodan

Bleepin Madman

• Members
  • 21,868 posts
  •  

Posted 15 March 2012 - 02:32 PM

The drive is dead.

#7 southplank

southplank
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 46 posts
  •  

Posted 15 March 2012 - 02:39 PM

But boots up in the other computer? I get about 30 seconds before the machine powers down after windows loads. No errors boot. I copied one file I need already. Going back in in 15 minutes after it cools to get another one. If I get that far into windows, I would think I should be able to read it with the adapter.

#8 cryptodan

cryptodan

Bleepin Madman

• Members
  • 21,868 posts
  •  

Posted 15 March 2012 - 02:45 PM

I would consider yourself extremely lucky it boots at all.

#9 southplank

southplank
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 46 posts
  •  

Posted 15 March 2012 - 02:53 PM

Do you think a bad drive could cause the computer (notebook) to power down after a minute or two? Maybe what I'm thinking is a cooling problem is a bad hard drive? I never saw a bad hard drive shut a system down like that. I suppose if its putting a load on the power supply. I might have to dig up another hard drive to try and see if the computer stays up.

#10 dpunisher

dpunisher

• BC Advisor
  • 2,234 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:07 AM

Posted 15 March 2012 - 08:20 PM

What happens when you run a recovery program? Does it see any files/partitions/data?

I am a retired Ford tech. Next to Fords, any computer is a piece of cake. (The cake, its not a lie)

3770K @4.5, Corsair H100, GTX780, 16gig Samsung, Obsidian 700 (yes there is a 700)

#11 James Litten

James Litten

Ԁǝǝ˥q

• BC Advisor
  • 1,946 posts
  •  

Posted 15 March 2012 - 08:41 PM

Do you think that you could boot with a Parted Magic boot CD and use ddrescue to make an image?

I recently detailed the instructions here...
http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/topic446058.html/page__view__findpost__p__2630040

If you want to try it, I'll help you. I'll need to ask you some questions about the setup first.

I do this a lot in real life recoveries. If properly set up and ddrescue can't image it then there is little chance that anything else could.

James

#12 southplank

southplank
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 46 posts
  •  

Posted 15 March 2012 - 09:16 PM

What happens when you run a recovery program? Does it see any files/partitions/data?

I downloaded EASUS free and it said it was finding stuff, but I canceled because the time estimate looked like it was saying 20 hours. I wasn't convinced i was dealing with a bad drive at that point. I'm not so sure now. I can't find any posts online of anyone unable to read a good hard drive with the usb adapter, so I have to think the hard drive is bad. But the computer was booting into windows and then powering down within a few minutes. Now it powers down in a few seconds. So can a bad hard drive cause a notebook to shut off? It was shutting down even if I jumped to cmos setup during boot. The problem computer is an HP dv7-6163us, by the way.

#13 southplank

southplank
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 46 posts
  •  

Posted 15 March 2012 - 09:20 PM

Do you think that you could boot with a Parted Magic boot CD and use ddrescue to make an image?

I recently detailed the instructions here...
http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/topic446058.html/page__view__findpost__p__2630040

If you want to try it, I'll help you. I'll need to ask you some questions about the setup first.

I do this a lot in real life recoveries. If properly set up and ddrescue can't image it then there is little chance that anything else could.

James

So you are saying boot my good computer with Parted Magic and the possibly bad hard drive attached via usb adapter? I can try that tomorrow. I can't try it on the problem computer because it won't stay powered up no matter whether I boot to windows or cd.

#14 James Litten

James Litten

Ԁǝǝ˥q

• BC Advisor
  • 1,946 posts
  •  

Posted 15 March 2012 - 09:55 PM

Yeah, that would work. I often do that and it says it sees nothing and needs to be formatted like it did for you. Of course, DO NOT FORMAT IT :) I am successful probably 90% of the time at getting all important data from drives.

You'll need 750GB of free space to make the image if you want to go with the safest procedure (using ddrescue).

If you don't have enough free space then you can take a chance with the data and attempt to connect the drive to the good machine and run TestDisk on it to try and recover/repair the partitions (you don't need Parted Magic since TestDisk has a Windows exe).

Then you can get the data you want off of it (Windows should see your files after that) and then put it in the laptop and see if it boots without the shutdown problem.

If it can't be repaired, there are easy ways to try to recover files for free like TestDisk or Photorec(get specific filetypes).

Let me know what you decide to do.

James

Edited by NeverSayDie, 15 March 2012 - 09:58 PM.

#15 southplank

southplank
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 46 posts
  •  

Posted 15 March 2012 - 10:09 PM

Yeah, that would work. I often do that and it says it sees nothing and needs to be formatted like it did for you. Of course, DO NOT FORMAT IT :) I am successful probably 90% of the time at getting all important data from drives.

You'll need 750GB of free space to make the image if you want to go with the safest procedure (using ddrescue).

Thanks, I will look into this tomorrow. Not sure if I have the room, I might have to juggle some things around.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users