Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Unfinished Antec tower

• Please log in to reply
8 replies to this topic

#1 Brett119

Brett119

• Members
  • 57 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:46 AM

Posted 14 March 2012 - 04:13 PM

Hello, I am about as new as you can get when it comes to the innards of a computer tower, but I know most of the basics. Earlier today at a salvation army, I saw a computer tower that just looked amazing. The window on the side of the tower must have grabbed my attention, because next thing I knew, I was putting it in the back of my car. Just one problem. I noticed that there was a sticker on the top that said "NO HARD DRIVE". I did note that, but figured that a fair hard drive at a best buy was about $50 or so. When I got home, I cracked her open and had a look. There was a fair amount of dust, but nothing canned air couldn't handle. From what limited knowledge I have, I discovered that it is a Antec dark bronze case. The power supply is an Antec SL350 with 350 watts of output. There are three separate fans, and they appear to have LEDs in them. I don't know where to find the motherboard, processor, memory, video card, or heatsink. I am hoping to use Windows 7 Home Premium as the operating system. I want to know if someone can help me (in the next 3 days, because that is how long I have to return it) to decide if it is worth getting a new hard drive, and how much it would cost to get it in working order again. Here are some pictures I took when I got home.

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 cryptodan

cryptodan

Bleepin Madman

• Members
  • 21,868 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:46 AM

Posted 14 March 2012 - 04:21 PM

the motherboard model number is usually by the AGP or Video Card Slot or on the corners. The video card type would be on the video card itself as a model number.

I would say the best you could run on it is Windows XP

#3 dpunisher

dpunisher

• BC Advisor
  • 2,234 posts
  •  

Posted 14 March 2012 - 04:25 PM

At first glance, it looks like an old Socket 370 (PIII or Celeron) with a low end AGP card.

If it was mine I would plug it in and see what the BIOS says regarding CPU/memory etc (assuming it boots). Even if it did boot, I would not pay $50 for it, even if it had a working hard drive. As above, likely XP will be about the most you can run on it (depends a lot on memory).

I am a retired Ford tech. Next to Fords, any computer is a piece of cake. (The cake, its not a lie)

3770K @4.5, Corsair H100, GTX780, 16gig Samsung, Obsidian 700 (yes there is a 700)

#4 Andrew

Andrew

Bleepin' Night Watchman

• 8,259 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:46 AM

Posted 14 March 2012 - 04:41 PM

The internal gubbins are all probably shot to hell and likely sorely obsolete. You can certainly re-use the case in a new build, but I'd take it back if you were planning on just installing a hard drive and firing it up. Some of the components may be usable, but (judging solely from the pics) the motherboard/RAM/processor are likely either ancient, dead, or both.

#5 Brett119

Brett119
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 57 posts
  •  

Posted 14 March 2012 - 04:45 PM

Ok then, thanks guys. Do you think the tower alone is worth keeping if I do decide to replace all the components?

#6 cryptodan

cryptodan

Bleepin Madman

• Members
  • 21,868 posts
  •  

Posted 14 March 2012 - 04:52 PM

It all depends on what you do with the computer. If its basic office work then yes it is, if its for gaming then no.

#7 Brett119

Brett119
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 57 posts
  •  

Posted 14 March 2012 - 04:56 PM

Dang. Oh well, I guess you gotta learn the hard way. Thanks for the info guys.

#8 cryptodan

cryptodan

Bleepin Madman

• Members
  • 21,868 posts
  •  

Posted 14 March 2012 - 04:58 PM

but let me take this opportunity to recommend that you buy a hard drive, and install a Unix or Linux Operating system on it and mess with it and learn a new operating system. You could build a small server for your home. Its a not waste.

#9 Andrew

Andrew

Bleepin' Night Watchman

• 8,259 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:46 AM

Posted 14 March 2012 - 05:52 PM

Ok then, thanks guys. Do you think the tower alone is worth keeping if I do decide to replace all the components?

The case appears to be in good condition and it should accept standard-sized parts without issue. If you like the case enough then by all means use it! The case is the one component in a PC that doesn't become obsolete inside a year (my old case had housed 3 completely different sets of hardware, spanning nearly a decade of use. I'd still be using it if I hadn't damaged the front bezel.)

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users