Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

RAM BOOST

• Please log in to reply
12 replies to this topic

#1 Leea934

Leea934

• Members
  • 9 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:02 PM

Posted 14 March 2012 - 01:17 PM

Hello community!

My office has a rendering machine that needs a RAM boost. I've been given a budget of $400.00 USD.

Motherboard - Gigabyte EP45-UD3R

Any suggestions?

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 cryptodan

cryptodan

Bleepin Madman

• Members
  • 21,868 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:02 AM

Posted 14 March 2012 - 02:09 PM

What are the issues that you having with the Rendering Machine?

Also What OS is running on it?

#3 Leea934

Leea934
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 9 posts
  •  

Posted 14 March 2012 - 03:32 PM

No issues.. Just wanted more juice. We have installed a new processor, graphics cards, power supply, ssd.. Now it's time for ram.

We are running windows ultimate x86

#4 cryptodan

cryptodan

Bleepin Madman

• Members
  • 21,868 posts
  •  

Posted 14 March 2012 - 03:39 PM

Please perform the following, so that we can get the exact specs of your computer. This will better assist us in helping you more.

Publish a Snapshot using Speccy

The below is for those who cannot get online

Please take caution when attaching a text file to your post if you cannot copy/paste the link to your post, you will need to edit it to make sure that your Windows Key is not present.

#5 DJBPace07

DJBPace07

• BC Advisor
  • 4,869 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:02 PM

Posted 14 March 2012 - 04:04 PM

A Speccy really isn't needed if we know your motherboard and OS, however you should take note of a few things. If you aren't running a 64-bit operating system, you won't be able to use more than 4GB of RAM. Moreover, unless your rendering program has a 64-bit executable, it won't be able to use more than 4GB either, even on a 64-bit OS. DDR2 is rather old and looking up your current motherboard (GIGABYTE GA-EP45-UD3R) seems to indicate that it uses DDR2 1366+/1066.

3939.png

#6 Leea934

Leea934
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 9 posts
  •  

Posted 14 March 2012 - 07:03 PM

Thank you for the response..

I do understand the concept that only a 64 bit software + OS would register the higher output. I will make changes to OS and software to accomodate a higher RAM capacity.

Is DDR2 being phased out or something? We just wanted to swap out our current setup with something that can give us some more juice without having to replace the motherboard.

"4096 Megabytes Usable Installed Memory"

#7 cryptodan

cryptodan

Bleepin Madman

• Members
  • 21,868 posts
  •  

Posted 14 March 2012 - 07:14 PM

Can you provide a speccy so we can see what CPU you added as well. It would allow us to recommend a possibly better motherboard.

DD2 isn't being phased out per se, but RAM is going towards DDR3 now a days.

#8 Leea934

Leea934
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 9 posts
  •  

Posted 15 March 2012 - 06:14 AM

Speccy System Snapshot:

http://speccy.piriform.com/results/3jXIPyn22RdbieYszIKuOC4

I would like to comment - we are not adept enough to do more than replace RAM, swapping out MB is a bit too complicated for us, just wanted a quick solution. Thank you for the feedback.

#9 killerx525

killerx525

Bleepin' Aussie

• Members
  • 7,220 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:02 PM

Posted 15 March 2012 - 06:59 AM

Your motherboard supports up to 16GB of ram. You can achieve 16GB by using 4 x 4GB ram.

>Michael 
System1: CPU- Intel Core i7-5820K @ 4.4GHz, CPU Cooler- Noctua NH-D14, RAM- G.Skill Ripjaws 16GB Kit(4Gx4) DDR3 2133MHz, SSD/HDD- Samsung 850 EVO 250GB/Western Digital Caviar Black 1TB/Seagate Barracuada 3TB, GPU- 2x EVGA GTX980 Superclocked @1360/MHz1900MHz, Motherboard- Asus X99 Deluxe, Case- Custom Mac G5, PSU- EVGA P2-1000W, Soundcard- Realtek High Definition Audio, OS- Windows 10 Pro 64-Bit
Games: APB: Reloaded, Hours played: 3100+  System2: Late 2011 Macbook Pro 15inch   OFw63FY.png

#10 Leea934

Leea934
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 9 posts
  •  

Posted 15 March 2012 - 08:01 AM

Thank you for all the feedback..

Any thoughts to the following options?

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16820231183

(x2)
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16820104108

_____
I can't seem to find any compatible 4gb DDR2s - I have been told I should be looking for the manufacturer "crucial" but it is all DDR3. I guess I am just buying into a dying technology.

Edited by Leea934, 15 March 2012 - 08:03 AM.

#11 cryptodan

cryptodan

Bleepin Madman

• Members
  • 21,868 posts
  •  

Posted 15 March 2012 - 12:33 PM

For a rendering machine i would recommend upgrading your CPU to a Core i7, Max DDR3 ram, and a rendering grade video card like a quadro.

#12 DJBPace07

DJBPace07

• BC Advisor
  • 4,869 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:02 PM

Posted 15 March 2012 - 04:41 PM

Why would the OP go off and buy another motherboard when they said the following...

"We have installed a new processor, graphics cards, power supply, ssd.. Now it's time for ram."

Besides, you would need to rebuy Windows if you replace the motherboard. The CPU is fine if you are willing to wait for rendering to finish and not all programs are HyperThreading aware. What rendering program are you going to be using? There are two paths available to you.

Path One - Keep going down this road and get a RAM kit to max out the needed RAM. Keep in mind that you are using fairly old technology and you will be obsolete sooner than you think. DDR2 is being phased out with DDR3 coming standard on almost all current motherboards and platforms. Look up prices for 4GB sticks of DDR3 and compare that to DDR2, you can even get 8GB sticks of DDR3 now. Crucial RAM is just a brand, as is Corsair, Mushkin, Patriot, Kingston, etc.

Path Two - Upgrade. You don't really need a super high-end rendering machine depending on what you are rendering. You do need a reasonably powerful CPU, such as AMD FX-8150 or Intel's i7 3820. These are two different CPU's with vastly different methods of using multiple cores, rendering performance, and pricing. You will then load as much RAM as you can onto these motherboards. As for the comment about Quadro, this really depends on what you are going to be doing. AMD and Nvidia's professional grade cards, the FirePro and Quadro, are different from their consumer cards, the Radeon and GeForce. They are often the same hardware with a different BIOS and hugely inflated prices. The professional cards are meant for CAD or other situations where graphical accuracy is paramount, consumer cards favor speed at the cost of accuracy. Most kinds of rendering can be done at reasonable speeds on consumer cards. Which, by the way, your graphics card, the GTX 260, is fairly old.

3939.png

#13 cryptodan

cryptodan

Bleepin Madman

• Members
  • 21,868 posts
  •  

Posted 15 March 2012 - 08:28 PM

I am making a recommendation, and it is up to them whether or not they take the recommendation.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users