Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Still trying to "unhide" programs

• Please log in to reply
12 replies to this topic

#1 drpaul88

drpaul88

• Members
  • 62 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:12 PM

Posted 14 March 2012 - 11:38 AM

I have been working some time on ridding my pc of some bugs. A month ago I got the system check virus and even though it is gone, I can't get me programs back. Unhide doesn't work & even though I can see them in AppPaths, I can't figure out how to link them.

Here's the most recent work we've done.... http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/topic445589.html/page__pid__2630389__st__15

Not sure what to do outside of reinstalling the programs, for which I do not have the disc

Thanks,

Paul

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 noknojon

noknojon

• Banned
  • 10,871 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:12 PM

Posted 14 March 2012 - 05:10 PM

Still trying to "unhide" programs

Show Hidden Files and Folders in Windows XP:

My usual method, if I understand your question -
•Click Start and select My Computer

•Click the Tools item from the menu at the top of the window (if you don't see Tools press the Alt key on your keyboard and it will appear)

•Select Folder Options

•Click the View tab and make sure Show hidden files and folders is selected under Hidden files and folders

•Next, uncheck the box next to Hide protected operating system files (Recommended)

•Then, uncheck the box next to Hide extensions for known file types

•Click Apply then click OK

Reverse the process to hide them again -

#3 CatByte

CatByte

bleepin' tiger

• Malware Response Team
  • 14,664 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:12 AM

Posted 14 March 2012 - 06:13 PM

Thanks noknojon, just to add some further information here,

this isn't a case of folders being hidden in the traditional sense, this user was infected with a nasty rogue malware called "System Check", this rogue will hide icons and remove entries from Start Menus and All Programs, the programs themselves are in tact but the short cuts are removed. Grinler's "unhide.exe" program usually resolves this issue, but not in all cases.

This is one of those cases where the usual methods of restoring the entries to All Programs has failed.

It requires someone with more technical expertise than I to assist the user in manually restoring these links. (I just remove malware)

The malware topic linked to in the users post above, will show all the methods we have used thus far.

I suggested the user post in this XP Forum to get the technical expertise he requires

thank-you

Microsoft MVP - 2010, 2011, 2012, 2013, 2014, 2015

#4 drpaul88

drpaul88
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 62 posts
  •  

Posted 14 March 2012 - 06:29 PM

Thanks guys...

I did notice, however, that the "do not show hidden files and folders" IS checked

and

hide protected operating system (recommended is checked as well

#5 cryptodan

cryptodan

Bleepin Madman

• Members
  • 21,868 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:12 AM

Posted 14 March 2012 - 06:47 PM

Have you ran any type of temp file cleaning program such as CCleaner, Disk Clean Up Wizard, or anything else?

#6 noknojon

noknojon

• Banned
  • 10,871 posts
  •  

Posted 14 March 2012 - 07:31 PM

@ cryptodan -

Download TFC to your desktop

Just to add a FYI
This was listed in the final cleanup post. Not sure if it was used -

#7 drpaul88

drpaul88
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 62 posts
  •  

Posted 15 March 2012 - 06:31 AM

I'm a little confused with 2 of you helping me....not that it's a bad thing.

I have been fighting this thing for over a month so yes, I have used CCleaner.

Paul

#8 noknojon

noknojon

• Banned
  • 10,871 posts
  •  

Posted 15 March 2012 - 06:36 AM

I'm a little confused with 2 of you helping me....not that it's a bad thing.

You are the important one here -
We just tend to sometimes throw ideas back and forth, hoping that we hit a right solution - :)

#9 hamluis

hamluis

• 55,405 posts
  •  

Posted 15 March 2012 - 10:49 AM

<<I'm a little confused with 2 of you helping me....>>

What's confusing about that?

No one has a monopoly on good ideas/suggestions...this forum is an open forum where comments are freely given by numerous individuals in an attempt to assist those posting topics.

OPs follow the suggestions/comments...which they may deem possibly helpful. Whether such come from ten persons or a single person...is of no importance at all in this forum.

This differs greatly from the way which malware topics are handled in the malware forums...for the reason that more expertise is required in attempting to overcome malware situations and it is much more definitive in the procedures which can be followed...to detect and remove malware.

Non-malware topics are totally different in how they can/should be approached, IMO.

Louis

#10 drpaul88

drpaul88
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 62 posts
  •  

Posted 15 March 2012 - 11:33 AM

It was a joke Louis... 50 can help if they want & I appreciate all that has been done for me through this forum.

#11 hamluis

hamluis

• 55,405 posts
  •  

Posted 15 March 2012 - 12:25 PM

<<I did notice, however, that the "do not show hidden files and folders" IS checked and hide protected operating system (recommended is checked as well.>>

FWIW: Those should be unchecked...if you want to see system files/folders.

Louis

#12 cryptodan

cryptodan

Bleepin Madman

• Members
  • 21,868 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:12 AM

Posted 15 March 2012 - 12:28 PM

If you used CCleaner, and cleaned the Temp files then the only option is to reinstall your applications.

#13 Tsh00ter

Tsh00ter

• Members
  • 14 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:12 AM

Posted 15 March 2012 - 02:42 PM

You could restore them manually by going to each executable individually and creating the shortcuts yourself

run this: (Windowskey+r) explorer %programfiles%

This should bring up a window with all installed software

Now navigate to a program (like Quickbooks) you are looking for and place the mouse on the EXEcutable
right-click -> send to desktop (create shortcut)

You should be able to see a link on your desktop pointing to Quickbooks and if you double click it the application should start.
If you want to start it from Start->Programs you could single click the shortcut and drag and hold it into Start->Programs->Quickbooks
and release it where it should be. Then delete the old shortcut from the startmenu and rename the one you just dragged in.

It´s tedious, but it should work fine.

There should be no more hidden files on your system after running unhide.exe, so you should be able to find all executables.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users