Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

WHOVILLES In Trouble(My Computer)

• Please log in to reply
6 replies to this topic

#1 MissPlaced

MissPlaced

• Members
  • 929 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:17 AM

Posted 14 March 2012 - 10:50 AM

I hope I'm putting this in the right place, If not just smack me :lol: ,and please move it to the right place....

I've got a "Sony VAIO" Circa about 2002..
I've already run Malwarebytes, it came up clean.
I've already run AVAST (Free Version) It too came up clean.
I've already run CCleaner.
I"ve got "Windows XP Home"

My Question is, How do i do a drag and drop from "C" drive TO "D" Drive???
Is there any thing that I shouldn't put on "D" Drive?? and If so what??

Now I'm NOT computer literate, I know just enough to get myself into trouble...
so i'm going to need step by step(small words please, BIG words(Terms) just confuse me)Directions Please.

I've gone as far as I can on my own,So I need to let you all have a crack at "WHOVILLE"

Thank You so much in advance!!!

IN WAY OVER MY HEAD

The reason that I need to do this is,I keep getting a message that my "Minium Memory(?) is too low and Windows is trying to creat more"...

Then Last night out of the blue, my computer shut down and then restarted all by it's self...Microsoft's screen came up and told me that they couldn't find the reson for the "ERROR" but gave me a list of suggestions to try..I tried all that were pertanant to "Whoville"
This left me wondering if i just need to move somethings from "C" drive TO "D" Drive, and how to go about it.

MissPlaced

Edited by MissPlaced, 14 March 2012 - 11:09 AM.

You want to be great, Learn how to heal people, To hurt people is easy

Be Kinder then you have to be,you never know what battle someone else is fighting~~~
~~~~Martrys song~~~~~
~~~~My Deliverer~~~~~~

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 MissPlaced

MissPlaced
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 929 posts
  •  

Posted 16 March 2012 - 08:04 AM

I think I forgot to add a few things, like This is a desktop...

I'm using IE8, SP2 ,

And I need to ask, How do I tell if "D" Drive IS A RECOVERY Drive?? and IF it is,just what exactly can I put on "D" Drive??

UP TO MY EAR'S IN ALLIGATORS :wacko:

MissPlaced

Be Kinder then you have to be,you never know what battle someone else is fighting~~~
~~~~Martrys song~~~~~
~~~~My Deliverer~~~~~~

#3 the_patriot11

the_patriot11

High Tech Redneck

• BC Advisor
  • 6,755 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:17 AM

Posted 16 March 2012 - 01:26 PM

you should be able to drag and drop anything except system files and executable files of most programs. Pictures, movies, document programs etc you should be able to drag and drop from one drive to the next with no problem, just drag and drop the same way as you would images from a jump drive. And as far as it being a recovery drive, normally it will say recovery after the D in my computer if that is the case (normally, not always) the other way to find out is to click the D drive and go into it, if theres windows recovery files in it it will either be locked or you will see them.

Edited by the_patriot11, 16 March 2012 - 01:27 PM.

picard5.jpg

Primary system: Motherboard: ASUS M4A89GTD PRO/USB3, Processor: AMD Phenom II x4 945, Memory: 16 gigs of Patriot G2 DDR3 1600, Video: AMD Sapphire Nitro R9 380, Storage: 1 WD 500 gig HD, 1 Hitachi 500 gig HD, and Power supply: Coolermaster 750 watt, OS: Windows 10 64 bit. 

Media Center: Motherboard: Gigabyte mp61p-S3, Processor: AMD Athlon 64 x2 6000+, Memory: 6 gigs Patriot DDR2 800, Video: Gigabyte GeForce GT730, Storage: 500 gig Hitachi, PSU: Seasonic M1211 620W full modular, OS: Windows 10.

If I don't reply within 24 hours of your reply, feel free to send me a pm.

#4 MissPlaced

MissPlaced
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 929 posts
  •  

Posted 16 March 2012 - 08:19 PM

@ the_patriot11,

GOD BLESS YOU!! THANK YOU!!

I did sme lookin and i think this is gonna take me some time to figure out..but at least now i know where to start.

A few years ago a friend(Dadkins..Dave Adkins...GOD rest his sweet soul) helped me do a crash and burn of my system by remote....it took me hours to re-install everything, and like a cat with kitten's he worried
about me, so he sent a message to a mutual friend to find out how i was doin...she called and told me to stop given dave a hard time. :lmao: He was so relieved to see me back online... :lmao:

anyway,when i looked earlier i noticed that Dave had put some pictures and stuff on "D" drive for me....
so far i've seen nothing to indicate that "D" drive is a restore drive...but i'm gonna be sure before i do anything...

THANK'S SOOOooo MUCH!!

MissPlaced

~~~~Martrys song~~~~~
~~~~My Deliverer~~~~~~

#5 the_patriot11

the_patriot11

High Tech Redneck

• BC Advisor
  • 6,755 posts
  •  

Posted 16 March 2012 - 08:25 PM

if the only thing on the D drive is pictures and stuff Id say its not a restore partition, if it was there would be system files.

picard5.jpg

Primary system: Motherboard: ASUS M4A89GTD PRO/USB3, Processor: AMD Phenom II x4 945, Memory: 16 gigs of Patriot G2 DDR3 1600, Video: AMD Sapphire Nitro R9 380, Storage: 1 WD 500 gig HD, 1 Hitachi 500 gig HD, and Power supply: Coolermaster 750 watt, OS: Windows 10 64 bit. 

Media Center: Motherboard: Gigabyte mp61p-S3, Processor: AMD Athlon 64 x2 6000+, Memory: 6 gigs Patriot DDR2 800, Video: Gigabyte GeForce GT730, Storage: 500 gig Hitachi, PSU: Seasonic M1211 620W full modular, OS: Windows 10.

#6 MissPlaced

MissPlaced
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 929 posts
  •  

Posted 17 March 2012 - 02:46 PM

@ the+patriot11,

So far i've been able to move all my pictures(while sweatin bullet's) with out a problem...Thanks!!

another question...What are executable files??..I know I know this is probably a stupid question...BUT I don't know squate about this stuff....my apologies...But the only way i'm gonna learn is by doin and askin question's.
Hope your nerves hold up... :lol:

MissPlaced

Edited by MissPlaced, 17 March 2012 - 02:54 PM.

~~~~Martrys song~~~~~
~~~~My Deliverer~~~~~~

#7 the_patriot11

the_patriot11

High Tech Redneck

• BC Advisor
  • 6,755 posts
  •  

Posted 17 March 2012 - 03:09 PM

they are the main files of a program in question, as in the program that starts the application. If you have it set up to view file extensions, the extention for them is usually .exe a program will not run without them, and the reason you dont want to move them (some you can but as a general rule dont) is because when it goes to execute the command and load the program, it will load all the necessary files, and often times a program makes registry changes that are necessary to run it, and the executable file will look for these entries, and if you move it it may not be able to find them, and the program may not load properly or at all.

picard5.jpg

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users